1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Issue: Linea Internal Rear View Mirror

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by punto-er, Nov 28, 2012.

1. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    Hello Friends,

I have this issue with my Linea TJ+ where the IRVM keeps tilting downwards. I have a uncovered parking space in my apartment, so the car is forced to bear the sun for till about 12pm daily. Needless to say this heats-up the cabin a lot. Now when the cabin is hot, I get in the drivers seat and always find the IRVM Tilted down and showing me the rear seats. I then re-position it to see the rear-windshield but after 2-3 minutes to drive I find it tilted down again. I keep repositioning it for sometime like this (very distracting to say the least), untill the cabin cools down. The ACC is at Full-Auto around 23degrees, so when the temp reaches around that temp the IRVM stays in the position I set it too. Also, when I head back home in the night, this issue does not bother me. So its definitely becos of the heat from the Sun.

I have rear parking sensors with the IRVM addon installed, so not sure if the issue is because of that or the Original IRVM (on which this new one is mounted) is gone loose and this new addon is compounding the issue.

Today I took a peep behind the IRVM. Below are the Pics attached.

Shouldn't there be a cap or a plastic cover on the exposed screw area? Should this screw be tightened for getting a trouble-free IRVM?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

20121128_134200.jpg
    20121128_134231.jpg
    20121128_134134.jpg
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    1 person likes this.
  3. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    Sorry Mate, but could you ellaborate a little more in how I can find out "whether it is a problem with screw or that metal sphere which is not fitting tightly inside the cavity. "

The ball seems to be moving, but rather freely, which I think is the cause of the issue. Not sure if just tightning the screw will help or not.
  4. Try tightening that screew, when the cabin is hot.
    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Since the ball mooving freely the problem is due to difference in thermal expansion of the metal ball that is used and the surrounding plastic. I don't know what kind of metal is used. It looks like aluminum, in which case the value is around 21 and for plastics it can be more than thrice of its value depending on what is used. In your case the ball is already slightly loose and after heating up it is becoming very loose. Manufacturing defect. But in normal case they might have design to counteract the thermal expansion. The price of RVM is around 500. You can change the screw and see if the problem goes or not. If it still remains then change the RVM. Just for curiosity try covering the rear portion with some piece of cotton cloth and keep the car at the same place. You may see that the situation will be slightly better. Try it.
    1 person likes this.
  6. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    Thanks a for taking time to explain. I will try can fasten the screw, cover the area with some cloth or cotton. Else will replace it at the first service.
  7. Punto-er, you can find some windshield reflectors / screen (you can find silver coloured ones from shops for few 100 Rs. ). They will keep down temparature with in cabin when parked under sun and protect dash getting heated up.
  8. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    I tried fastening the screw behind the mirror, it seems tight enough and did not budge. I did not want to break it the Mirron from the mount rendering it useless, so it it be for now.

Guess I will need to wait till an SA looks at it.