1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is this legal and/or ethical?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Vroom, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai
    Folks,

This is way OT as far as Fiat is concerned :) , but in the last few days I have been observing hordes of street sellers selling peacock feathers bunched up together as a fan here in Mumbai. I don't know if peacocks are killed in the process or the amount of torture they go through to shed their feathers for these guys to make a quick buck.

When I say hordes, I really mean lots and lots of these guys. Just wondering, if this is legal.

Cheers,
    Vroom
  2. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    No it is not legal.
  3. devansn

devansn Novizio

Coimbatore
    And buying them is unethical - to most. But I am really confused - buying leather products has such an issue as well right? What about non-vegetarianism? What makes peacocks more special?
  4. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai
    Being the national bird...
  5. devansn

devansn Novizio

Coimbatore
    Then I would have to say it is only illegal and not unethical to most! What an advantage the peacock has over other birds! Lucky, someone selected it as the National Bird! :)
  6. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    I believe it is an endangered species now and that is why it is illegal. For the same reason, it becomes unethical.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    don't the feather fell automatically from peacocks. I think so
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I do not know if it's legal,but kindly shy away from a purchase and spare a bird,be it a peacock or whatever.
    I do not use leather products
    I do not kill animals or encourage the same to have my dinner
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, do fell automatically as well but the problem is that these people don't wait for them to fall naturally and they need them in bulk.

I felt so bad when I once saw someone in our neighbourhood selling newly hatched chickens kept in an empty shoe box for Rs10 each some 6-7 years back. Small kids were delighted to see these cute birdies and asked their parents to buy some for them.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even I've never tasted non-veg food stuff for the same very reason. ::T
    But, I do use leather shoes if I don't have option.