1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is there Technical difference in pump used in MJD, DDi S and Quadrajet?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nbvcrao, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If the combustion chamber is not getting proper amount of air/oxygen then qty.of back smoke is more.

Amount of black smoke is depends upon how much turbo boost/Air/Oxygen is getting in the engine.

Engine Tunning is also plays an important role in case of qty. of back smoke.

DDiS runs on rich mixture. That's why it omits more black smoke as compared to Multijet.
    DDiS runs on rich mixture. That's why it has more NVH levels.
    DDiS runs on rich mixture. That's why there is more carbon deposits in DDiS
    DDiS runs on rich mixture. That's why cases of failure of Turbo Charger are more due to excess carbon

In fact new BS-4 DDiS engines are coming Indian made High Pressure Fuel pump made by UCAL.
    Maruti has started localisation of parts in DDiS engine to cut the engine cost.

As I mentioned in earlier post,after some days all parts of DDiS engine will be Made in India.
    Only ECU & ECU firmware will be of Magneti-Mareelli.

Multijet engine has all parts Made in Italy.

@ Vijay :- Correction.

1.3 Multijet engines are II generation.( 5 Injections per cycle)

III rd generation Multijet engines has 8 Injections per cycle)
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @ bhai
    There is no 3rd generation Multijet. Only two.

Multijet II was launched in 2009, featuring upto 8 injections per cycle. And i dont think India has Multijet II, even in FIAT cars.

And there is absolutely no way to tell whether an engine is running rich/ lean just by looking at the smoke from exhaust pipe. All diesel engines under load/ rapid acceleration when flooring the pedal/ when lugging will emit smoke. Even FIAT's do. But i dont think you've noticed that.

Gurjinder.
    amogh likes this.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ^^^ yes my brand new linea smoked black 2 times and was notified by my cousin driving behind me in the ghats.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Off topic @ Gurjinder : Thank you for some fantastic pieces of information on this thread. :)
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Not an issue buddy. Automotive technology and keeping myself updated is a passion and a hobby for me.
  6. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @Italia-Linea, if you are hardly driving on hingh RPM then this thing happens. As carbon deposition occurs in exhaust flow area...TRY THIS, if you are driving on low RPM say till 2500 for 2/3 days on the very next day floored the paddle till 4000RPM you will notice black smoke for little time period(you can do it by keeping your car in neutral,no need that you have to be in motion)...as the deposition flows out,now again increase RPM till 4000 you can see their is no smoke at all!!!::T:car.......
    well, after 4000RPM what is next i dont know! cause i dont love to floored the paddle more than 4000RPM...i never gone above4000RPM so may be after that range some say 5000RPM it may throws black smoke as i think at that level turbo switched off.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Absolutly Right !

After 3500 RPM, Wastegate of Turbo opens. So Tubo boost is minimised. That's why fuel don't get enough air/oxygen/turbo boost. So there is black smoke.

And friends black smoke is due to carbon paticles and it depends upon the fuel quality also.

Indian fuel quality is not suitable for state of the art Multijet technology.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I agree that all oil burners emits black smoke.
    But FIAT diesel engine smokes lesser than DDiS,TDCi, i20 and other CRDi engines.

& one doubt ,

if there is no any connection between refinement and mixture strength then why Multijet is refined and smooth than noisy and harsh DDiS. Can you explain ?
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    1.Wastegate opening does not depend on the rpm's. A wastegate in simple terms is a boost controller. It does not let boost increase beyond a certain point. When the boost increases beyond a certain pre defined limit , it opens. As simple as that.

And here's an interesting fact : VGT turbos do not have wastegates, They dont need it. ;)

2. Huh? When did i say there is a connection between refinement and "mixture".

Yes, i've noticed that the Maruti diesels are noticeably rougher. But that can be due to many reasons.

a. Maruti's technical expertise in assembling the engine may not be upto the mark.
    b.Its quality control may be lesser.
    c. FIAT's use semi synthetic oil . Maruti uses mineral oil, and of a different viscosity
    FIAT uses 5W-40 , Maruti 15W-40.
    And the multijet was designed to run on 5W-40 or similar grade. Running a 15W40 oil will definitely have its impact.

Gurjinder.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    What Maruti is claiming for SX4 for the pollution from the car. Whats that technology?