1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is there a problem with FIAT's brakes?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Bala, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Re: Is there a problem with FIAT's breakes?

Rajeev,

If the accident repair is only on cosmetic parts, there should not be any concern. But to say that accident repairs would surface again to give troubel later maynot be right. Entire cars have been rebuilt. Bala would have already lost big value on depreciation and and if he goes for a resale, so spending on rebuild would be the way to go unless Vitamin M is not a constraint !! ::O

abdul
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

I agree to this. The SA should be brought to book. :hit
    It is just that they are reluctant to order the spares. Once the order is placed, it won't take even 15 days, most of the items can be obtained in 5-7 days time as has been the experience of me and others here in Trivandrum.
  3. amolmane

amolmane Guest

There are no Brake issue of GP & Linea.

My Driver had also mate an accident. He lied that Truck came Reverse on incline & truck gave dashed on bonnet.

But when we removed Front bumper,we saw the Cross Member was also bent. Means Truck Driver was innocent.
    My driver was in fault.He could not get proper judgement about length of Bonnet. So he could not push brake at right time & gave dash to truck from backside.

If a truck comes reverse on incline,it will bent bonnet & brake the lamps etc. But Cross-member can not bent with nominal pressure of truck.

These Drivers are doing mistake & they blame the car,that Brakes are Dull etc.We should fire them
  4. Ranjan

Ranjan Novizio

Navsari, Gujarat

I own a Dynamic version of Linea (Petrol). Till now I have never ever faced any problems with the braking of the car. I even tried braking at high speeds and the car responded well . I too don't have ABS and EBD.
    I think the main cause of the accident was over speeding and of course as mentioned earlier in the thread Linea masks the speed of the car very well. You never know when you cross the speed limit if it wasn't for the speed control beep.
    In my view the Linea or in fact for other cars they should be driven personally and not left to the drivers, This way we can enjoy the car better. As is the best and most comfortable seat in any car is the drivers seat!
    It is very good that no one got hurt. I hope your Linea will recover soon and back fit.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram

About repairing the car and keeping it with us or buying a new car,we have had minor accidents with 2 cars previously,with Premier Padmini,17 years back-we spent 4k,repaired it and sold it off immedeiately,with Swift 4 years back,when a dog hit the car or vice versa!,we spent 32k,repaired it and sold it off immediately,despite both the cars not suffering damages to body parts.Here we have the entire front one third dismangled,though mostly cosmetic,but still I do no have faith in the ability of T.A.S.S guys to build the car back to the original frame and condition,since the car is still new for them to have experience in repairing accident damages.Besides who is there ready to buy an accident involved FIAT car??.Inspite of all these we have always liked the car,each of the extended family members and friends are all in praise for the car for the way it handled the accident and the passengers and we are still in awe of the car.
    About the question of vitamin M,nothing is more valuable than life and any amount of money should be spent to buy peace of mind IMHO
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram

The car was driven in the same condition for 200 kms to the T.A.S.S,after the accident which indicates that mechaninacally the car is fine,first reason I want to keep the car.
    I have an emotional bonding with the car because the car is exceptional and was relishing every single minute with the car,second reason I want to keep the car.
    I dont like any other car in the market,this side of 10 lakhs Rs,third reason I want to keep the car.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Bala,

After all the reasoning, I realize you are going to KEEP the car and it is a very happy news to me and to all on the forum I guess ::T :dancing :clapping

Abdul
  8. jiji

jiji Amatore

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India, India
    Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Bala
    Sorry to hear about the accident. About the brake issue i own the emotion variant of punto with ABS and EBD. And as you have said i am a driver who draft the vehicle in front i will not say rash, just that i rely on my cars brakes heavily! Till now nothing has happened thanks to GOD and the prayers of my mom..:) My car has covered 23000KM, changed all the brake pads at 15000KM. I never felt with an issue like you have said but there are some complaints registered here in TVM about brake failure. The problem is as i was able to diagnose,cars have brake boosters to apply the brakes efficiently and rapidly, by ramming the pedal more and more the car comes to an halt within seconds, on ABS equipped cars if u do the same result in brake failure. The reason why you rear ended might be due to heavy load the car would have been full of passengers remember more the weight more stopping distance. And when you ram the brake pedal in a Punto active or dynamic the pedal just goes numb and very hard this is due to the car s brake boosters design. From my point of view and research.

Drive Safe happy to hear you are gonna keep your car.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

There you are. This definitely indicates that the vehicle does not have any real structural damage affecting vehicle balance and drive-ability.
    I do not know about the skill of TASS guys in your area, however I have seen totaled vehicles (both Linea and Punto) being brought back to life at the two TASS here in Trivandrum.
    The only thing you will have to do, and it is a very difficult one, is to get it off your mind that this is a damaged vehicle.
    Also don't believe the estimate given for repair. When it is through insurance, the bill gets inflated by 4x or 5x. Recently I did some body shop work on my car under insurance. When the TASS gave the initial estimate for insurance, the figure was around 42K. Then I asked him how much it would be if I go without insurance and he then gave an estimate of around 7-8K.
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram

Yes Abdul,you are right,for all the comforts that the car had provided us and for all the care that the car took of us,I intend to KEEP the car,God willing.My only doubts were about the brakes and that is still a serious doubt.
    Thanks JIJI for the detailed explanation,but to be honest I did not understand a bit,especially the brake booster part,Iam such a naive person you know.
    ROYJ,I too wish the the T.A.S.S guys were as good as they are in your area,but in reality they are not and they are such a pain when it comes to delaing with car,but for dealing with people,they are very good and friendly!