1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is sidewall strength on both sides of a tyre same?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by renlouis, Jan 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Kochi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, Is sidewall strength on both sides of a tyre same? This will sound as a funny question and appears as a nonsense.. Let me elaborate what happened..

Recently I changed my Punto's tyre to Yoko Earth 1 195/60R15. The tread pattern is symmetric with no specific INSIDE/OUTSIDE markings on sidewall, and is also non directional.

Each of these new tyres came with the red dots on one of the two sidewalls (to mark the area where DOT code is engraved, I guess so). The red dot found on each tyre, but on the other sidewall where the DOT code is not engraved.

Simply seeing the dots and yellow dots on the same sidewall, the guys at tyre shop attached each tyre on the alloys where the sidewalls with these dots facing outwards. Means after attaching the alloys to the car, to find the dot code, one has to crawl under the car and observe the other sidewall. Also based on the bevel and emboss designs of various writings on the sidewall YOKOHAMA, Earth-1 etc.. now the sidewalls of the each tyre visible on the sides on the car is expected to be on the opposite side. That's why I am asking.. Is sidewall strength on both sides of a tyre same?

2. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Kochi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    symmetric.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019