1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is Punto 1.3 Diesel Active a good car to buy in India?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by giri, Jan 30, 2012.

1. giri

hey all Fiatians,

im Giri and a new joiner to this forum.

im planning to buy a new diesel car - hatchback and my expected drive is about 1500km/month. this is gonna be my first car ever!
    i gone through different diesel cars avail in market today... ranging from beat, swift, figo, polo, i20....
    but my heart is very much attaching to PUNTO!

though im interested in Punto, lot of my friends who are using Maruti swift, sx4, alto were suggesting me to go Maruti.
    their point is maruti's infrastructure and resale value.

according to me, im not going to sale the car atleast for next 5 years...
    so i need a very better one.

pls suggest whether shall i book Punto.
    im eager to listen u guys.

2. shams

shams Esperto

Dear Giri
    Since this is a dedicated Fiat forum you might think that we are biased in whatever answers you get for your above post :) like your friends are for Maruti.

Best thing would be along with your friends, test drive all the cars you mentioned, both in the city and highways, at slow and high speeds, on good and bad roads and then decide based on what you experience.

If you decide/have already decided on punto, I would suggest go for the top end variant (emotion) or atleast dynamic unless you have very very strict budget constraints. I am saying this although I myself own an Active because I have understood the worth of safety features in a hard way!

Other than these we are always available to answer any specific queries for you.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Please ask one of your friend to predict the re-sale of a any car post 5 years and ask him to provide in writing. The more the cars keep selling the whole used car market dynamics are going to change in the near future. Maruti may have I better re-sale today, but it's not going to stay like that forever.

Damn the re-sale value, enjoy every moment with your car - be it any car!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  4. sungoa2010

Active MJD is a super VFM. Go for it.
  5. drarvindc

Inspite of in love with Punto, i ended up booking Wagon R (blue eye) just coz of friends and everytime i get to see one on the road, only thing that come to my mind is "Thank god i cancelled that booking".

If you have the safety, comfort in mind, Punto is the best you should go for in its class. Do not rush in, take your time and test drive. Compare features. We are Punto Owners and happy ones.

Read some of the ownership review threads, it will give you more details and also how most of us where in the same spot as you are in now. http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3...to-90-hp-10-500-kms-review-pics-included.html

1 person likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Take your own time Giri, As its your hard earned money do the proper test of all the cars and also prepare a chart where you can write the reviews of the test and compare it with Punto and find the difference.
    Do the test on Good Roads, Bad Roads, curves and also check the braking efficiency, and decide on your own, we the Fiatians are here to guide you if you have any negative points for Punto.
    One thing we dont buy the car to sell it, and once you have Fiat you will love living with it every movement.
    Same thing happened to me, when i was favoring Punto, my dad and uncle would convince me every way to go for swift, saying watch the number of cars selling, I just answered them, i would rather prefer to drive the car with its own engine, and not with the heart borrowed by other. and Punto is built to last, and i dont wanna sell it as i am not a agent of cars, Even now when my dad drives punto he says he gets the feeling of a Big car and a Safe safe..........
    1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

The Infra/Service centers for Maruti can't be compared & that's actually the reason why it is a preferred choice. But FIAT too with sufficient presense of TATA Delaerships, isn't a problem. Now when you come to car, i must say that you are already on the right track if you happen to like a punto & not other cars. It's a totally different car in a +ve way that other offerings. I mean Drive+handling+chassis+brakes+service intervals+fun to drive & most important at least for me is it's safety/security factor. It's one "divine savior" even at unbelievable odds/accidental situations that cars aren't expected to survive. That aspect is pretty much "NIL" or just "average" in other cars.For Punto, it's whatever worst that could come across to one's mind:) & strictly not applicable to other cars (with no exceptions). I think you shouldn't ignore safety aspect if it is not one of priorities. I never forget to remind that someone (infact regard it as my duty) who is in process of making up his mind for FIAT.
    This car gives "alive & friendly being" feeling instead of a mere commuter which only a Punto owner can understand. If you want to convince yourself, pls take your time but Punto is one masterpiece of a machine. Its too good to be avoided for...................., no reason actually:wink:.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Linea 1.4
    Fiat is the best blend of style and substance. Loaded with features, Super build quality, Very safe car, Award winning engine. Truely european in that. Attention to detail is striking. Read this thread for amazing small but significant things: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/faqs-updates-database/21-fiat-linea-punto-did-you-know-series.html

However, there are some downsides - Service quality. Regular service comes once in a year/15000 KMs. I have got 3 services done on my linea in 2 years. I don't think service quality is the best but its not the worst either. What I observe is, they are good at doing critical component servicing like engine, gear, steering, brakes etc. But they are to improve on peripheral issues like paint job, wheel rotation etc. With maruti, service interval is 5000 or 10000 Kms not more than that. So the service cost will be less because routine service visits frequency is higher.

Resale value, I would say - You must enjoy the car as long as you keep it. Why do you bother about the needs of the 2nd buyer of your car? You bother about your needs. Life is not always about making a best deal in terms of money. There is more to life.

Bieng a Fiatian is a cult. You must experience it. Just to give you an example, atleast 90% of people on this forum will not trade their Fiats to any other brand for any price/any deal/whatever service quality etc. i.e. they are bitten by the fiat bug. You will know what I am saying if you become the owner of a Fiat. No other brand car owners are this passionate about their cars. (Atleast in this segment). It is not that other cars are bad, it is just that Fiat is unbeatable in certain areas. If those areas matter to you, then don't think twice, go for a Fiat.

I make this statement very often- Fiat satisfies its owners in a way, non-fiat owners can't understand. You will experience this from the day 1 of your ownership. (You need not wait for a service :D)

Rest you decide after the test drive.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
    5 people like this.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Loved reading your posts, straight from the HEART!! I must admit there aren't too many things left in the world which brings back one to human traits. Thinking by heart & not brain, Passion i call it. Most of them kills passion. Thanks for the post.
    1 person likes this.
  10. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Linea 1.4