1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is low Ground Clearance of 90HP that big an issue?

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by abhinavkalra2006, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Dear Team members, I am a new member to this wonderful forum & about to purchase the 2012 GP 90hp. I was very gung-ho about this car but my happiness is short-lived as I have come to know (and it's confirmed!) that 2012 90 hp is the continuation of 2011 model with no modifications (read: improved Ground Clearance (GC), low turning radius, "better" interiors etc.). All these changes have been made only on 76 hp models & not on 90hp (God knows why?!)...

Now, I can live with turning radius & interiors' quality but am not able to come to terms with the fact that I am getting the low GC car! Is it really that bad as its been made out to be? If not, then why is Fiat upgrading the GC of old models?

My commute is mainly on Ring Road & NH-8, with occasional weekend getaways...On few instances, I have bumped on monstrous Gurgaon speed breakers on my Swift, while commuting on internal roads. Also, I park my car on the ramp outside my home, which is fairly steep. I will keep this car for minimum 5 years & I am sure will never get peace of mind till the time it keeps on bumping the ground...I am paying 7.4 lacs already & don't want to spend another 15K for GC kit in near future.

Now I am contemplating going back on 90HP & purchase 76HP Emotion, but shud I do it merely because of low GC? Frankly, I don't want to do it; please help allay my fears on GC by sharing your overall experience & tips to circumvent this issue...Would be really thankful to all.
  2. omzworld

Please do no worry about the GC. I have 2011 Emotion model and unless I am really in a bad mood I have never scraped my baby.
    I have travelled through some really bad roads and some tracks which cant be called road but GC never gave me issue unless I was trying to go faster than I should have.
    >30 degree incline can be issue if car is not handled slowly. I have scraped my bumper in this process (new to driving :) ).
    Also it has an engine guard which saves all your precious parts even in case of scraping.

Unless you want to take your 90hp to Leh or similar roads, GC will not cause problem. I drive in Bangalore wihch has many killer speed breakers but even with 4 people on board, and little caution I have not scrapped her bottom more than 3-4 times in 5K kms.

If your budget allows, go for 90hp.
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I own one and the reply is NO issues with the GC. The pre 2012 Punto 90 HP does not have Serious GC Issue for normal driving. I had issues only while coming down an inclination/Ramp or depression in the roads only the nose touches the road sometimes. But handled carefully there will be no issues.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Can you confirm the source which let you know of the news that the 2012 manufactured 90hp will have the same GC etc?

Due to some quirk i recieved a call from a FIAT Pune salesguy in January who was trying to sell me the 2012 Linea :p. I asked him whether the 2012 manufactured 90hp will have increased GC and he replied that yes it will. :confused:

That said, unless you are driving over roads which don't qualify as a road at all , you don't need to worry about the GC. I regularly get to drive the "older" Punto and the only time i scraped it , with 4 passengers onboard, was when tackling a huuge mound on a village road.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Because everyone and their uncle ( no matter if they had even sat in a FIAT or not) cried hoarse about the "dreadful" GC of the FIATs. :p

So FIAT decided they'd tackle this criticism once and for all. The CEO, during the 2012 launch himself stated that although he never found any issue with the GC or so called lack of it, yet he decided to do the change since that is what the market wanted.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Even for the 2011 model Ground Clearance was not low when compared to the competitors. It is due to the soft suspension that the under body scraps.It is basically the Engine Guard which scraps & you need not worry about that. But the scraping sound, of course it irritates. In my 13 month old drive, the so called under body had scrapped only 4 times & most of them in the initial months of ownership. Given below is a small comparison of the GC of 2011 popular cars.

[table="width: 400, class: grid"]

SL NO
    Car Model
    Ground Clearance

Grande Punto 1.3 MJD
    171 mm

Swift DDIS
    170 mm

VW Polo
    168 mm

Ford Figo
    168 mm

Note:- All these figures were taken from their respective websites.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Leave talks aside. Let the videos do the talking. Here are four Puntos from Delhi showing their off roading capabilities with 171mm GC at Chail. None of the car scrapped even once. Its your decision at the end of the day. 195mm GC will make it scratch proof from bottom for sure. But 171mm is not an issue if you slow down reasonably.

This video was made when Delhi TFIans were returning from Kufri. I am sharing this as multiple Puntos going in formation makes me fall in love with this video. I can see it 1000 times. There are similar videos from Mumbai as well:

1 person likes this.
  7. Thanks all for your feedback...the bottomline is "drive with caution" on certain terrains. On a day-to-day basis, its not a major issue...

8. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thats right. Just today a fabia next to me bottomed out at a place where Punto went without any problem. JFI.
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Depends on where you live. In a place like Chennai where one moment I am on OMR expressway and another minute in 2 feet potholes in Velachery; the increased GC is a must.
    My friend scraped his 2011 Punto today while going to Concorde Motors for a TD of the 2012 and we took the new car back to the same road and no issues at all.

I am going thru the same dilemma as I am getting the 90 HP at just 30K more than the 75HP Emotion. However, the difference is so less because the 75HP is a new version (read: Better GC, Better turning Radius, Better Interiors). Once the new 90HP is launched in April, the difference will increase to over 50-60K. Plus if the excise duty is increased on diesel cars, it may not come out at all and they will then launch a T Jet in Punto Petrol instead.

BTW, the sales guy told me the Oceanic blue is not available in 90HP but just now called and confirmed that it is and that I can book it but the specs will be 2011.
    Also, if buying a diesel, the average delivery time is 20 days and they are clearly advising any hike on 29th Feb in the budget will lead to the price being increased and the differential will need to be paid.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. 2 feet potholes ?? even SUV will find it touch to negotiate.

MODS NOTE - Please quote only the relevant part of the post you wish to quote.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012