1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it sensible to turn off/on AC frequently

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Mar 6, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi All,

I was reading up some material on Engine car and found out that turning on/off AC frequently also spoils the life of the engine and mileage.
    Is it true? if so, then why?

Reason for this is that I generally have a habit of switching off the AC when it gets too cold and let the cabin stay that way until it eventually warms up again before switching on the AC.
    Frequency of this might me 2-3 times in 15-20mins (Depending on the temperature).

I never use the temperature knob, which is always set to its coldest.

On highways however I dont do it that often. Mostly the AC will be ON all the time

Is my approach good or bad?
    Just FYI, my punto is giving me about 13.4-14 in city driving with the above mentioned AC handling.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    dont switch the AC on and off. let the compressor do the job. when the attained temp is achieved the compressor shuts off automatically pulling the load off the engine and as soon as the temp rises it kicks in.
    if you switch off the ac and leave the cabin as it is and switch it on later, the compressor will have to do more duty to cool back and this consumes more power and fuel.

if you have climate control ac just leave the temp around 21-22 and forget it. if you have manual AC set it to lowest temp and blower speed to 1-2-3 max and let the ac do the duty.
    1 person likes this.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I have manual controls no ACC so if i leave it at the coldest then its really going to be the coldest portion ... :)
    You suggest I leave it at a more comfortable temp and make peace with it?

And if i do feel like turning it off then what would be you're suggestion?
  4. ksdr

ksdr Timido

Vijayawada
    Hi dont know where to post this but my Punto Active delivered on 31st january 2012 suffered from A/C drain pipe blockage resulting in water stagnating in the passenger footwell area.Had a tough time drying the carpet and the insulation below that.Guys please check this aspect in 2012 models because water accumulation will effect the cooling since the condenser will not function properly.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @theblack it is applicable not only to car A/c, but A/C in general. Constant switching on & off would have an impact on the life of A/C compressor . Though home A/Cs have this mechanism where by the unit will switch on after an interval of 5-10 mins, the car A/cs dont have. It is better to let the A/C controller take care of it. Setting the manual A/C knob near to the red mark would mostly be sufficient for keeping the cabinet in a comfortable temperature & the A/C will automatically switch On & OFF.

@ksdr the same had happened to one of my friend's Nov 2011 make Punto. it doesn't happen to all the models. But you need to take it to TASS & get it rectified. Please get it services at the earliest.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    It also largely depends on the climate of a particular place. Here in Assam, you can't keep the AC switched continuously on - it would make the cabin uncomfortably chilly. Again during summers, you got no choice but to turn the AC off and roll down the windows at evening hours, because the windshield would vapour up due to the high humidity levels.

Rituraj
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    In this case dont set it to the minimum temp. set to to a comfortable setting. its better for your ac too. the compressor will cut off sooner than coldest setting and you will get more mileage out of your car.

Every AC has the basic function to control humidity too. In your summers you can leave the AC on in fresh mode and there will be no humidity. In fact its other way round. if you switch the AC off your windows will be filled with humidity.
    1 person likes this.
  8. chirag

chirag

AC get switched OFF automatically in linea

Check your temperature setting. This might be a wild guess, but I think there is some issue with the cabin temperature sensor or thermostat. It gives the control technique a false reading of icy even after temperature has risen. So it works on/off for some time & then suddenly stays in off position. know more here on IndianCarz
  9. Even I havent' given a thought about it until I read this post. My habbit is to always turn on/off frequently 2-3 times in 45 mins period. Will it affect the Mileage, AC or anything valuable ??? Mine is a 1.3 MJD Dynamic. I dont have a climate control. Does the AC work like climate control in monitoring the temperature in 1.3 MJD Dynamic?? And also, If I keep the AC output level to 3 or 4, will it consume more fuel ??