1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it okay to buy a Jan-15 car lying in stockyard with dealer for months?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, May 21, 2015.

1. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Tornado

Yeah, I had no idea that I should get better tyres when I got the car, because none of the reviews had anything negative to say about them. By the time I realized it, they were already "old".
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 9, 2015 ---
    BTW, are the plastic claddings around the car cheap and easy to replace? They are the first things that get brushed/scratched if the car comes in contact with another body. Any idea about pricing?
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tanay

The internet (in general, and esp the automag or even automotive websites) is a very tendentious/tangential way of getting to the truth(s) about anything/person/place/idea.

It's a web of information alright: but often mis- and dis-information cannot be distinguished from authentic ones. If nothing else just because of the sheer quantity and volume of conflicting information, and gaps/holes/silences in them too.:dead:

Hence the value of an 'authentic' forum like TFi, no?:cool:
    Tanay likes this.
  3. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP

I completely agree. Most of the auto-review sites have reviews/videos that don't seem to be professionally done. They often just touch upon things and move on without delving into details (probably to cater to the majority of people, who don't want to understand the technical or minor details of the car they're considering to buy). And then too, I often see that they are either inconsistent or outright incorrect. Looks like they don't bother to do their research/homework before reviewing a car and just do a casual test-drive, then write a page about it and get done with it. Not to mention most of them seem clearly biased towards the bigger (marketshare) brands, which also makes sense because they probably don't want to get blacklisted by these brands and lag behind other competing review-sites. So, the only good and honest reviews, IMHO, are found in forums and sites with user-generated content like team-bhp, TFi, etc.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Arjunbhargava

Arjunbhargava Amatore

New Delhi
    Sarojini Nagar
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Today I went to kashyap fiat Okhla for my 1st Service and to replace my hatch door where I was surprised to see a brand new punto evo (not sold to anyone ) in the body shop with door and rear bumper being repaired(not replaced). When I inquired with people in bodyshop they told me that it is a basic practice they even change parts in between the Cars as well. Even my hatch door got a new Punto Evo emblem from a new punto . So I think we should do the PDI very very carefully..And I also think we should not buy those special discount cars which dealers sell saying "Sir ek gadi hai discount ho jayega usme special bss abhi book krdo" ..
    EvoArun, prabhjot and Tanay like this.
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Me feels, for budget buyers, discount becomes an important factor, so one should not hesitate to buy discounted cars

however, he has to be sure about what he is getting at that discounted price and what he is sacrificing in lieu of discounts.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Arjunbhargava

Arjunbhargava Amatore

New Delhi
    Sarojini Nagar
    Punto Evo 1.3
    This happens when the customer keeps pushing the dealer for discounts too It happened to one of my friend he bought a Hyundai I10 grand from a south Delhi Hyundai dealer .He kept on pushing for best discount even after he got a best quote from one dealer but when he called other dealer saying I am getting Car for this price what is your best quote he said " Sir ek silver car hai mere pas padi hai dekh lo aapko 10k aur dedunga kam mai " and my friend was like wow I am a smart buyer I took total 15 more discount as I told him 5k less for what I was quoted .
    But today he is regular at HASS as his car had some clutch and gearbox issue which started to after just 400Km of delivery...:banghead:
    prabhjot and Tanay like this.
  7. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi @Arjunbhargava :)

I completely agree with the fact that customers should do a thorough PDI before buying the car, especially when it's an old car that is being offered on a special discount. But I think the issue is not limited to old cars only. If a dealer is dishonest, then they can do lot of things to cars in their stockyard, but then they can do the same or worse to cars that come to their service centers. There is a possibility that they "fix" the car of a nitpicking or demanding customer by replacing some part from some other car, so that they charge for a new part without really using a new part. The unsuspecting owner of the other car won't even be looking for any replaced/damaged part, because it's not expected that the service center will bother about things that are not broken in the first place. @EvoArun 's car had tyres that are newer than the car itself, which means that the dealer swapped the tyres later, possibly from some other car. These things are not limited to just car dealers. Any normal person can be fooled by "experts" in any industry like doctors, mechanics, lawyers, etc because of the simple fact that the normal person is not the one who is the subject matter expert. Same applies here.

I had a Pulsar 200NS where the coolant once started leaking. The bike was with the service center for a week. After taking the bike back, I immediately noticed absolute lack of power delivery in the 7K-9K RPM range, and thought that something is wrong and the carburetor has been messed up. However, I couldn't prove it to them. After repeatedly complaining about the lack of power in every servicing, I finally managed to get it fixed after 2 years. Guess what, it was the carb causing the issue. I still feel that they changed/screwed it while it was there because the drop in power was obvious the moment I started riding it again. You can't do much about these things.
    EvoArun and prabhjot like this.
  8. Arjunbhargava

Arjunbhargava Amatore

New Delhi
    Sarojini Nagar
    Punto Evo 1.3
    ya you are correct but still I would say i liked the way Skoda cars come ..When we bought our fabia around 4years back from Jai auto New delhi to my surprise their stockyard is a well managed compound with proper shutter for their cars . They specially mentioned Sir we sell less cars but we have to maintain quality and we do not leave our cars under the open sky..To my surprise the car came wrapped ie roof bonnet and hatch were wrapped in white tape or something very neatly (It was looking so nice that i never wanted to remove it but they said please let us remove the same for PDI sir) ..So it also depend on dealer I guess and manufacturer too may be.As I mentioned yesterday I saw a Dynamic pearl white punto Diesel getting repaired before delivery ;)..But its never expectd by people who say "Seedha showroom se nikali hai yar cham chamati hui":wtf:
    EvoArun, prabhjot and Tanay like this.
  9. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP

That's actually nice on the dealer's part. Here in Bangalore, Volkswagen too wraps the hood and roof of their cars in white sheet, though they keep it in open like others. I think this approach of keeping cars in shuttered shelters is not very scalable for the dealers. Small dealers (by number of units sold) and expensive cars can afford this treatment, but not the Marutis, Hyundais and Hondas or in my case, the Tata+Fiat stockyard.

But other than that, I think a thorough PDI and a little faith is what a customer needs. And so, I'd agree with @Tornado here that a customer should not ignore discounted cars assuming they are inherently defective. In every industry, manufacturers often end up with unsold inventory, so assuming that any car that could not manage to get itself sold within some time must have a bad history associated with it may not be correct. If a dealer receives a defective car to begin with, they can always return it back to the manufacturer. Now, it's possible that the the car gets damaged (mostly the exteriors) by the dealer later on, where the manufacturer isn't responsible. And this is where they try to do the shady things like repairing/replacing it by themselves. But this can happen to any car (lying for months or freshly delivered from factory) and that's why PDIs are so strongly recommended. Even if the bonnet or door of a new car is repaired/replaced, if the customer isn't able to find any defect in it even after a thorough PDI, is it really an issue? We can't control everything (like what the dealer could be doing to our cars behind our backs) and so extra skepticism (cynicism maybe?) will only bring the customer unending discomfort. Just my opinion...
    Deepak and prabhjot like this.
  10. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I agree with @Tanay , We arent experts and those service center guys and salesmen can give lot of different reasons. When I checked the bonnet few days back it was fine but had a small scratch dent when I went to take delivery of it. So obviously I have all reasons to believe they have changed the Bonnet from another car and when I found it oout they replaced the bonnet from another new car. This may continue till some poor customer takes the car in the evening without a PDI.

The point is PDI is what matters the most... Need to go to the yard the day you plan to buy a car. Look at it and then when all is finalized, on the day of delivery you need to do a thorough PDI of the car and make sure everything is fine. Till date I have driven my car for over 120 KM and I am very happy with the ride quality. Will find a time to sum my experiance in a new thread. And I am yet to get the road tax papers :( .

Thanks again to all of you who made me chose and buy my Evo sport :)
    Tanay, Tornado, Saket Sidana and 2 others like this.