1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it okay to buy a Jan-15 car lying in stockyard with dealer for months?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, May 21, 2015.

1. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @EvoArun

Hmm, after your tip, I searched in online and found that there are indeed complaints from people about cracked sidewalls in the GoodYear Eagle NCT5 tyres. However, what confuses me is that there are so many cars that come with these as the OEM tyres. Many of them are quite respectable cars/brands like Ford Fiesta, Skoda Octavia, Volkswagen Jetta, Fiat Linea and even some Mercedes model, etc. I'm sure there must be more examples as this seems to be quite a popular OEM tyre choice among manufacturers for India.

Why do all these cars, some of which cost more than twice as much as Avventura choose to install these tyres? Cost-cutting (in the tune of 10-15k max over better tyres) seems like a stupid idea when your car costs more than 20 lacs. Are these isolated cases with a few customers or is it a genuine concern? What is the opinion of the members here? Confused... :confused:
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 3, 2015 ---
    Congratulations, @EvoArun !!

I didn't know we've bought our cars from the same dealer! I always thought they're Ebony Automobiles. But after hearing these names and checking my documents, I realized that Ebony Automobiles and Aadya Motors refer to the same dealer.

Prajwal seemed careless to me too. I only time I had to deal with him (unfortunately) was when he took me to their stockyard in a Punto (diesel). Man, the way he drives scared the hell out of me. No thought/respect given to any other person/vehicle on the road, not even to the fact that there are customers sitting inside the same car. His driving was way too dangerous. The speed-limit warning buzzer was screaming all the time. He even increased it a couple of times during the journey, but the buzzer managed to ring anyway. The next time when I had to go with him to the stockyard again, I avoided his driving by requesting that I'd like to TD an Avventura till their stockyard :D

My contact there was a girl named Sanchez, and my buying experience with completely fuss-free, and even pleasant. She constantly stayed in touch, picked every call, and kept me updated about things throughout the purchase...

I felt that the manager Deepak doesn't know much technical details about the cars he sells. He couldn't answer my queries about the compatibility of RPS and reverse-camera on Avventura, was confused about the warranty implications, etc. His response to my question about any engine run-in/break-in process was completely ridiculous...
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    vinayk, EvoArun and prabhjot like this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Tanay,
    It all depends upon the tie up agreement between the car manufacturers and the tyre makers. Car manufacturer always go for the tyres which are cost effective when purchased in bulk and help them keep the overall cost of the car lesser to maximize the profits. The tyres are generally procured in batches, so the tyres cannot be always same for the different batches. For eg in the first batch they have Good year tyres, during second batch if they don't have sufficient qty of Good years, they will go for Apollo's. Anyways each tyre comes with the manufacturer warranty and car makers would not be liable to manufacturing issues of the tyres. They would simply refer to the tyre maker and get a replacement and hand it over to the customer.
    Tanay likes this.
  3. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP

Hi @ghodlur. It makes sense for the car manufacturers to go for deals and options that they find cheaper. But they need to realize that doing so could harm their reputation if they decide to go with something sub-standard. If I were the car owner whose tyre cracked within a few months (or few thousand kms), I won't curse GoodYear because there are good/bad products in every industry. I will hold the car manufacturer responsible for providing me a substandard component, as important as a tyre. Now, if this is a one-off incident that happened to a few customers, then I understand and am okay to go the tyre manufacturer for repair, replacement, etc.

Anyway, leaving the car manufacturers aside, do you suggest me to upgrade to better tyres or should I just continue with these till they last? I checked with one tyre vendor, and he quoted 2.5k as the buyback price per tyre, which is way too low in my opinion (as a new tyre costs around 7k on snapdeal)...
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I would suggest to upgrade to better tyres if your budget permits so that you will have the peace of mind for the next 30-35k kms. If your Avvy are coming with Good year, then I would suggest you to opt for Michelin P3ST or Yoko good earth which are known to be trouble free tyres with added lesser road noise. I would have suggested Apollo too but the road noise is too much apart from being rugged.

Again there are some brands which are gaining some postive remarks from Fiat owners such as Kenda, Falken sincere etc.

Check out these threads for more information
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/team-fiat-tyre-upgrade-guide.11870/page-31#post-841938117

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/switched-to-falken-sincera-sn835.13955/
    Tanay likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tanay

Am very happy so far (over a year) with the NCT5-s on my 2014 Linea t-jet. Goodyear tyres are tough and durable, and this model unlike the earlier ones on the earlier Linea-s (my Dad has a 2009 Linea) has much less road noise, with good grip too, although being from dry Delhi, grip in the wet is tough to ascertain for sure.

As far as I can make out, these tyres are excellent all-rounders.

'Upgrading' to pricey Michelins is the done thing for even better noise and ride characteristics, but the NCT5-s are pretty good enough, imo, for my purposes.

cheers
    pabhishek, Tanay and Tornado like this.
  6. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I agree with Prabhjot, I am also satisfied with them,though one of my tire suffered sidewall cut needing replacement. IMHO we can't blame tire quality for the same, details available on my ownership thread.

Michelin would be a good buy, only if OE tires fetch atleast 60 %of its price.
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  7. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really sure if I want to spend another 20k for tyre upgrade so soon. I'll see what's the resale value I get for the stock tyres. If it's too bad, I'll stick with the stock tyres and let them run their course before upgrading.

@prabhjot and @Tornado

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I talked to a colleague in office who has a Linea Emotion that has done 10k kms and with the same tyres, and he says he has faced no issue so far.

@Tornado, I checked your thread and I see that the tyre was cut because of that pole and not by itself, right?
    prabhjot and Tornado like this.
  8. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Beware of Aadya motors, when I went to take delivery I was shocked to see a scratch dent on the bonnet and got a written statement from Deepak to have the Bonnet replaced. Next day I went to the yard and met Mr Abdul who was very impressive in his service, and know what they replaced the bonnet from another new car . So an unsuspecting customer if he does not do the PDI have to live with this scratch. Will post pics of my car.

Prajwal is a disaster to Aadya . his father is the MDs friend and this seems Prajwal does not need this job for a living. He is just careless and flamboyant . Pity Deepak who has to live with him . Btw I have taken my car and I am very satisfied with it. will write the review in a new thread.
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  9. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Congratulations @EvoArun for the ride. I got my car too last week, and the odo is already close to 1000 km mark :)
    I too intend to create an ownership thread with pics and mini-review...

Tyre Update:

Checked with two dealers, one was a shop near my place and another was Madhus Tyre Center, JC Road. The max buyback price I was offered for my then 700 kms old car was 3,500/- per tyre. The stock tyres cost around 7,000/- per corner and new Michelin P3ST and Yokohama AVS Db (V550) are close to 10k per tyre. So the overall upgrade will cost me around 30-35K. When asked about the low buyback price, the dealers said that the usual customers for 205/55/R16 tyres are those owning Jetta, Octavia, and similar segment cars and these guys usually don't buy second-hand tyres and that too GoodYear's. Makes sense, however I'm not sure about the low-pricing. Both dealers recommended me to keep the stock tyres for 30k or so before upgrading. So, I've decided to stick to the stock tyres because of the high upgrade cost.
    prabhjot, Tornado and EvoArun like this.
  10. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Tanay, that's good decision to stick to OE tyres. Ideally you should have tried to sell them unused.

@EvoArun, congo.
    It doesn't matter bro, as long as they replaced the bonnet from brand new car ,new unsuspecting custemer won't accept the dent on bonnet as it is obvious.Eigther they will replace that bonnet or would do denting painting on this bonnet, we never know, Indian roads and cargo drivers are harsh, so during transit dents are not uncommon. Dealer do repair them & sell the cars, something which is not specific for fiat, all do that. No one sends the car back to automaker for pity dents. So no point in worrying about future customer. PDI is his own responsibility.

In your case it might have taken more than 15 days to order & replace the bonnet from FCA.
    EvoArun, Tanay and prabhjot like this.