1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it okay to buy a Jan-15 car lying in stockyard with dealer for months?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, May 21, 2015.

1. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Took the PDI today, It's a JUNE 2014 Evo. Vehicle exterior looks bit dirty due to the rain I guess. The H symbol was visible but not the tyre buttons as he said that will not be there in 16" alloy. Did not allow me to drive. But no dents, scratches and no leakages from battery and oil levels are fine. The levers looks fine. Interior is not dirty.

IMG_20150528_152646.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, May 28, 2015 ---
    Hi Took the PDI today, It's a JUNE 2014 Evo. Vehicle exterior looks bit dirty due to the rain I guess. The H symbol was visible but not the tyre buttons as he said that will not be there in 16" alloy. Did not allow me to drive. But no dents, scratches and no leakages from battery and oil levels are fine. The levers looks fine. Interior is not dirty.

IMG_20150528_153115.jpg

View attachment 80101
    --- Double Post Merged, May 28, 2015 ---
    So Fiatians please help me decide, I am getting this car evo 90 hp for a discount of 1.5 lacs from the current one on Road. Is this a good deal and please advise if I should look or check for something
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi @EvoArun : I got my 90 HP with 58 kms on the ODO (with 'H', of course). The tyres also look new even if they are dirty. Go for it. Its a steal :)
    prabhjot and EvoArun like this.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    By buttons, do you mean hair like spikes?

Just let us know tire manufacturing dates of all the tires (Four digit code itched on the sidewall of tires). You are going to be lucky it seems, if they match with the manufacturing date of the car. However I advise you to exchange them on day one of the ownership.
    EvoArun likes this.
  4. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you @Turbothinghy :)
    @Tornado missed that mate :(
    I Kept asking for the manufacturing date of the tyres but that person couldn't find it and somehow forgot to find it... But will check that tomorrow morning first thing.
    When you say exchange it, you mean for a cost? How much will it approximately cost?
    This forum is full of lovely people and this is one more reason for my increased love for Punto!
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Exchange the tires, as often they are manufactured 4 to 6 months prior to manufacturing date of the car. So in your case, they are likely to be manufactured 1&half year back. And car being parked under sun for such a long time, the rubber of tire gets hardened as compared to newly manufactured tires. This leads to compromise on the ride quality. And one who opts fiat cars, he opts primarily for the ride quality & driving pleasure . Also, most of the tire manufacturers provide warranty of 6 months to 1 year which in your case must have been expired long back.

So better to exchange all five tires with premium brands like Michelin eg,3ST, PLC, XM2 or Bridgestone AR series or Yokohama S drive or C drive etc.
    Small time tire shops do offer exchange, as they get taxi owners as custemers for the used tires. And you can expect approximately 75% of the cost of OE tires in return, if you do it before you start to use the car. And you will have to pay just the difference.
    Tanay and EvoArun like this.
  6. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Tornado thank you for this info. Will surely have it replaced. BTW anyone knew of a good place in Bengaluru to do this?
    --- Double Post Merged, May 29, 2015, Original Post Date: May 29, 2015 ---
    Update : The manufacturing date of the tires are 03/15. But the manufacturing date of car is June 2014 Rings a bell?!?! Please advise
  7. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @EvoArun

1.5 lacs discount is a really nice deal. Because Punto is a tried and tested car, there should not be any niggles/issues usually associated with new-model early-batches cars. I'd suggest you to strongly consider it (read: go for it), if you don't find any major flaw in the car.

If the last 4 digits in the tyre code is 0315, then it's January-15 manufactured, as the code is WWYY (week-number, year-number). Either way, is it possible that they had to change the tyres because the factory-fitted ones simply gave away after being parked for a long time? You need to get it confirmed from them, and their reasoning better be convincing.

@Tornado

Shouldn't the tyre warranty (or for that matter, any other component's warranty) be provided from the date of sale of the car? It's the car manufacturer that decided to install components with different manufacturing dates and warranty periods. Why should the customer be burdened about different manufacturing dates and warranty of each individual component inside the car?

How are GoodYear Eagle NCT 5 205/55 R16 rubbers that come factory-fitted in Avventura? Are they good or just average? Should I consider upgrading them, given that mine are still new?
    EvoArun likes this.
  8. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Tanay Thanks so much for your feedback bro, think I will go with this car..

As far as the tires are concerned I am not an expert in this but I have read somewhere that Goodyear NCT tyres are known for sidewall puntures in the long run, I will always bet on Michelin tyres
  9. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @EvoArun, go for it buddy. Don't worry too much! We await pics once you get old of the beauty. Cheers.
    EvoArun likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I feel they may have fixed the OE tyre of this car onto another EVO which may still be in the yard or some unsuspecting customer who may not go into the nitty gritty of the components. Its actually a foul play and a goof up:))

Abdul
    EvoArun likes this.