1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it okay to buy a Jan-15 car lying in stockyard with dealer for months?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, May 21, 2015.

1. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Tanay & @EvoArun,

Go ahead guys go ahead.
    Tanay, your concerns are applicable only in case of a car which is manufactured 'more than 6 months back. Your car is 4 months back manufacturered so no worries. Make it fast, 50 k is not a joke.

And, EvoArun, for you also 1L discount is never again opportunity. Since your car is manufactured more than six months back, there may be some hardening of rubber, tires & some deterioration in battery & engine oil quality but believe me Rs 1L discount plus 50 K saved against price hike gives a total benefit of Rs 1.5 L approximately. And if at all you find the rubber & tires are making any difference in the ride quality, you can exchange the tire & battery ,replace engine oil spending a amount of less than 20k.
    Do a thorough PDI as told by members above & as per PDI thread and book the car earliest. A car which is still at OE plant of manufacturer is less likely to turn out a lemon.

In Jan 15, we were thinking of Emotion Linea manufactured in 2014, which was available with Rs 1.5 L discount. And due to time passed in thinking during decision making, we lost the opportunity. All Emotions Linea MJD were sold out by the time we made our decision.
    Tanay and EvoArun like this.
  2. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks a ton for your replies guys. Will do the PDI and post with pics
    Tanay and Tornado like this.
  3. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Go ahead.... do a through PDI. The only suspect items are Battery, tire and oils. As long as you check them it should be fine. My suggestion is to take a friend along to help you in doing a PDI.
    Three years back, I purhased a Tjet which was more than one year in the stock. I had problems with battery with in a month of purchase but got it replaced under warranty. Other than that I was extremely happy. At that time, I got 1.5L discount + 1L for exchange bonus, free insurance + accessories for 20K. Since it was in yard for long time, I got a free 3M body polish. I was overwhelmed during the PDI process and overlooked few small issues. So taking a friend along should help.
    Tanay, EvoArun and prabhjot like this.
  4. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Tornado

Hi Tornado, thanks for the reply. All the suggestions for going ahead with the PDI has restored my confidence in the car. I'll PDI the vehicle and update it here. Thanks.

@vanandwiz

Thanks for the reply. How and what to check for the oil & fluids? Should I just insist them to replace it? Or else, I can replace it myself too when the car has done 2,500 kms or so.
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Tanay, Tires, rubber (door beading, glass beading etc) battery, and engine oil is not a issue in case of you as your car is manufactured less than 6 months back. Do routine PDI and crack the deal bro.

In case of EvoArun, better if he gets the battery exchanged at the time of delivery because in case of on road failure, it can be headache especially if it occurs out side city limits,And better to get oil & battery replaced from car dealer. He needs to bargain for that. I won't mind if it is replaced at EvoArun 's cost as discount amount is too good. There is no method or trick to find out deterioration in the quality of the oil due to disuse for just 6 months hence better to replace as it is bound to deteriorate due to disuse for more than 6 months.

Also, If he wants tires to be exchanged, he can go for premium series of premium brand such as Michelin, Yokohama on day one of the ownership as he is likely to get good exchange price for OE tires, he needs to make the arrangements with outside tires dealer before hand. Rest door & glass beadings are not costly items and can be replaced anytime in future if they start showing any evidence of brittleness.
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Tanay, EvoArun and prabhjot like this.
  6. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Tornado

That's quite relieving, thanks :)
    Tornado likes this.
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Tanay likes this.
  8. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Saket Sidana
    Update:

Went there today to do the PDI of the car. Following were the observations:

1. The car manufacturing date as per the VIN is Jan-15. The odo reading was H-11 kms.
    2. The tyres were manufactured in Dec-14. There were small spikes visible in all four tyres. No cracks or damage anywhere. Couldn't get them to open the spare wheel cover, because the guy who assisted me for PDI didn't know how to (and neither did I).
    3. The battery was dated ('last charged date') to be Oct or Nov 2014. No leakages or anything of that sort.
    4. Visual inspection of the exteriors didn't show any major issues. There was a small scratch (a few mm in length) below one of the C-pillars. The rubber lining in one of the doors and in a corner in the windshield was a little displace. Nothing major.
    5. Engine compartment didn't show any rust, leakage or anything else. The fluid levels were all fine. Couldn't figure out the engine oil.
    6. The interiors were not cleaned, so couldn't test the AC, wipers, power-windows, etc. But I did check the storage pockets, seats (adjustments, etc), seat belts, any panel gaps, any physical defect, etc. Tested the ICE, other electricals (lights, indicators, horn, etc). Also tested the rear seat splitting mechanism, all the doors, etc.
    7. Checked the spare wheel setup, the hinges, etc. And the boot space, tool kit, etc.
    8. They didn't allow me to drive the vehicle, so I had no way to test that.

Overall, I was satisfied with the car . After some paperwork, paid the booking amount by card, and the remaining full amount by cheque. The vehicle should be delivered in next week.

Summary: Bought the Avventura Emotion in Zafferano Orange. :)
  9. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats Tanay for the stunner!
    Tanay likes this.
  10. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP