1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it okay to buy a Jan-15 car lying in stockyard with dealer for months?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, May 21, 2015.

1. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi :)

I was about to book an Avventura Emotion, but got to know that the prices have been increased by Fiat a couple days ago. After taking into account the corresponding increase in road-tax, insurance, etc, the on-the-road price increment is turning to be around 40-50k. Upon talking to the dealers, got to know that one of the dealers still has one Emotion-trim car already available in their stockyard, and they can provide it to me at the older price if I buy it immediately. If I get any other vehicle (colour, trim, etc) that has to be ordered from Fiat, the invoice has to be of the new increased price. I've told them that I'll buy it in a couple of days and they've agreed to block it for me till then.

They told that this car is January-2015 manufactured, which I confirmed by last 3 characters in the VIN No : 'AHZ'. The odo reading was also fine, with the 'H' mark present : H-11 KM. But it has been lying in their stockyard for 2-3 months now. I went to the showroom to make the booking today, but then decided to take a look at the vehicle first, which required an unplanned trip to their 6 km away stockyard.

What I saw there made me a bit uneasy. The car was lying there in open-air, under direct-sunlight, eating dust. The windscreen was not covered either, so sunlight was also heating the insides, the dashboard, etc making it really hot. Some of the dust made its way onto the dashboard, central console, inside AC vents, and the interiors as well. These days, Bangalore gets quite hot, with temperature reaching 37-38 deg C in afternoon hours. Plus, it often rains in the evenings, varying from drizzling to pouring. The car has been parked in this condition for at least 2 months, if not more. They said they received the vehicle on March 23.

Now, to be fair, this was not the only car which was parked in the open, as there were few other cars parked next to it. Some with their interiors still wrapped in plastic, implying they were new too. It is probably not fair to expect them to keep dozens of vehicles under some roof or shelter. They did keep the battery terminals in the car detached, so that was good.

So, my confusion is that should I be worried about the condition of this car? Do the tyres get damaged if they are left lying in the same position under direct sun for months? What about the paint, which has to endure all that heat and rain? And what about the engine internals, with stagnant fluids, fuel, etc? Any possibility of rodents, insects messing up the wiring, etc?

I've asked them to clean the car, so that I can do a PDI again before confirming the purchase. Are my concerns valid and should I skip this one and go for a newly ordered vehicle, by taking a hit of 50k more? Even if a new vehicle is ordered from Fiat now, it's entirely possible that that vehicle is also Jan-Feb manufactured and is kept under the similar conditions in factory till it's sent off to the dealer.

I need to make my decision in a day. Your opinions?

--- Double Post Merged, May 21, 2015 ---
    @prabhjot , @ghodlur , @Saket Sidana , @Tornado

It's a bit urgent, so tagging you guys to seek faster help. Sorry.
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Murphy_Fiat and prabhjot like this.
  2. PuntoSingh

PuntoSingh Amatore

Faridabad
    NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please go ahead, do a detail PDI check, the check list given in the forum. I also purchased my punto Jan2012 make in August. This is fine, just ask for good discount from dealer.
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  3. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for the response. I'll try my best to follow the extensive PDI mentioned here in the forum before finalizing it. Fiat jacked up the prices suddenly, so what was the considered the normal price for the car just a week ago has now suddenly become 'a great deal'. In that sense, the dealer is offering me a 'discount' of 50k. Sigh.
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    That depends on the result of the PDI (condition of the vehicle)
    and the discounts offered by the dealer, bargain for extra discounts, try hard.

--Rajeev
    Tanay likes this.
  5. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @rajeev_pillai

Thanks Rajeev. If the PDI fails and the car is not upto my satisfaction, I won't accept the it anyway. My concern is that could there be some implicit disadvantages/worries associated with slightly old cars that I should be aware of, but can't inspect during PDI (for ex. engine internals) ?
  6. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Tanay, a good PDI [in day time] is all what's needed and be very thorough with it, don't go for any major compromise. Take a look at tyre condition also in detail.
    Jan manufactured car is not that old, do check the VIN on car also. I bought a June manufactured car in September and 4-5 months do not make much of a difference unless it's abused during storage.
  7. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Saket Sidana

Hi Saket, thanks for the response. I'll check the tyre condition in detail, including the time of manufacturing, presence/absence of spikes, for any possible cracks, etc. I'll make sure to check the spare-wheel as well.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Tanay

It is absolutely fine if it is a Jan manufactured car, just confirm it from the VIN no on the car. Also check the tyre manufacture which will be available on the tyres. If the tyres have those small rubber spikes, then they should be relatively new. Also have a look at the battery manufacture date. Check for any major scratches, dents, paint peel off etc since the car has been out in the open for quite some time. Once you have done this mini PDI, ask the dealer to get the car ready for the major PDI (refer to the PDI check list)

Dont know if this has come late to you but nevertheless.
  9. EvoArun

EvoArun Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I have booked a 2014 model BBND(Booked but not Delivered) fiat punto evo sport yesterday in Bangalore mekhri circle showroom. Got a discount of 1 lac, bit worried if I have got a good deal and if I should look for any specific things to make sure I don't get a test driven vehicle. The dealer says that the vehicle has to be brought from Pune yard and it will take a week. Please advise
    Tanay likes this.
  10. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur

Hi ghodlur, thanks for response. I confirmed the mfg date from the VIN number, it's Jan-15. While I didn't check the tyre manufacturing date, there were spikes clearly visible on the tyres. This with the fact that the ODO showed only 11 'H' kms, I assume that the vehicle hasn't been driven much. I didn't do any PDI when I checked the car for the first time because of the condition I saw it in, and the confusion I had if I should go for it or not. But after reading the responses here, I've called the dealer and asked them to clean the car properly inside and out, so that I can do a proper PDI tomorrow. If things look fine (and I hope so), I'll go ahead and book it.

Today I got an opportunity to check out the Volkswagen stockyard too, as I went there for checking out a Polo my friend is buying. They also keep all the cars in the open (as expected). However, they apply a thin white plastic covering on the hood and the roof of all the vehicles. However, nothing anywhere else.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 22, 2015 ---
    I've a question: I've heard that some dealers disconnect the odometer of new cars, so that the car doesn't record the actual distance it has covered. These cars then can potentially be used as TD vehicles, before the odometer is reconnected and the car is sold off. Can the same happen to modern cars, especially Fiats, which have this 'H' symbol mechanism?

@EvoArun

Check the PDI thread that has lots of relevant info: http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/pre-delivery-inspection-checklist.12759/

From what I've gathered there, check the odo reading. For the first few kms (within a couple hundred, I guess), there's an 'H' symbol that is visible on the left of the kms reading. In my case, the reading was "H 11" kms. As long as the 'H' symbol is here, I guess it's safe to assume that the car is not driven outside the expected range. The PDI thread in the forum suggests that the car shouldn't have more than 100-H kms. If the 'H' symbol is not present, then you need to question your dealer. As per the same thread, in some cases, particularly mentioned for Pune, it's possible that the car is driven from factory (or nearby city) to the dealer, and so you won't find the 'H' symbol legitimately. Similarly, as mentioned above, check the tyres. New tyres (driven less than 100 or so kms) tend to have some spikes in them, that get worn out as the tyres run.
    Last edited: May 22, 2015