1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it OK to buy a May 2011 T-Jet+

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by speedJet, Aug 20, 2011.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Hi everyone

I want to buy the T-Jet+ from a Gurgaon dealer, however the latest T-Jet+ that dealers can get from Ranjangaon is manufactured in May 2011. With so many cases of rust being discussed around, I am concerned that the car must be standing in rain all these months and could have some rust on it. I told the dealer about this and he connected me to the Tata regional manager - he said that they have around 18 FTA TJets standing in Ranjangaon and around 13 TW Tjets standing. Till all existing TJets are not sold off, they shall not manufacture any new one. He convinced me by saying that all rust related issues have been taken care of. However to my dismay, fellow member ramjn did find rust in his May 2011 vehicle

So what are the options available with me:

Option 1) Buy the May 2011 T-Jet+. There shall be nothing wrong with it :confused:

Option 2) Wait till a new FTA TJet+ gets manufactured :eek:. But going by the sales of Linea and that too of FTA TJet+, I am afraid that it could be more than 6 months when I can get a freshly manufactured vehicle

Option 3) Move over to some other brand equivalent vehicle. But sincerely, there is no vehcile that comes close to the TJet+ in terms of power, handling, beauty, features in the Rs 10 lakh range. No other vehicle offers the same value. The closest that comes to the TJet+ is the Classic Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sports but that is no longer manufactured/available

Option 4) Since this is going to be my first car, I could probably buy a small petrol car (daily commute would be hardly 10 kms and once in a month 500 kms highway running) that can be used by me and my wife for our city commuting. After 1.5 to 2 years down the line, I could go in for the TJet+ or maybe the Linea 1.6 MJD

Please do share your views
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I assume the Gurgaon dealer does not have the TJet in stock.

Have you checked with other dealers in the NCR area who might have a FTA TJET in stock. You can go and have a look see if there really is any issue with them.

That seems to be the way out.

Cheers.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Gurjinder paaji, thanks for the response

I have already checked with Autolinks (New Delhi), Oberoi (Noida), Dhingra (Gurgaon) and none of them have an FTA TJet+ in stock. It appears that Rama Motors does not have enough salesmen to respond to Fiat queries. I have not been able to get a response from them. HIM motors not reachable on the number shared on their website
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    If you're able to do a thorough PDI I don't think picking up a May'11 model isn't an issue. Linea & Punto are both slow moving one's and hence it would be difficult to find a fresh out of factory especially for T-Jet.

But I still have to salute you guys buying a Petrol car at the price of Diesel, You guys are becoming a rare species in the damn mileage addicted country. Hopefully I shall join your elite group soon ;)
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @speedjet

Try for another color if you want? Sunbeam beige looks hot and is rare. Bronzo Scuro is the rarest of them all. :p
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    For the same level of performance and handling, I would also recommend you Optra Magnum TCDI if you are open for Diesel. If you decide to buy a Petrol hatch for now, go for Jazz with your eyes closed.

I second teky. As long as you do a thorough PDI, it should be fine. Rusting may be a rare and one off case.

When is that teky? :)
  7. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Teky, this is my first car. I can do a thorough PDI but I am not sure how good that would be when compared to the PDI done by existing owners. Also, based on my past experience, once the dealer has ordered for the car it is extremely difficult to cancel the booking after the PDI and get the money back. As suggested by Gurjinder, I shall try speaking to some other dealers (I have not spoken to a couple of them) and see what they have in stock. TJets do not fly off the shelf and hence dealers normally do not stock them

Regarding petrol at the price of the diesel, you need to drive the Jet. Nothing comes close to the acceleration, handling of the Jet - once you drive the Jet all cars appear to be slow. I have test driven the Vento also and believe me it is nowhere near the Jet. Also, from the TJet reports of different owners, the mileage is not bad for a car of this size. Since my current driving would be at the max 1000 kms in a month (average could be say 600 kms) diesel does not make much sense

Gurjinder, will try this out also. However, as per the regional sales manager they have all colours in TJet+ manufactured in May 2011 lying around in the plant. I do not know if this is true. Maybe if someone from other city can enquire about the same it would help

Though Optra Magnum TDCI has high torque, it seems to be a bit dated to me. Also, the dealer was not ready to offer a test drive and hence I did not think further on it. Also, I have heard that its parts are very costly.

As mentioned earlier, thorough PDI can be a subjective thing for a newbie like me and if the PDI fails then it is difficult to get the money back. I shall try what Gurjinder suggested, check if some other colours are already available in fresh manufacturing or some cars that are already in stock. This way atleast the risk is minimised because if the car is already available then I can take a look before doing the booking.

If nothing works out, then the only option I am left with is to go with the Jazz for now and then couple of years down the line try to buy the Jet or 1.6 MJD
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I think Delhi TFI'ANS will certainly provide helping hands. Also speak to other dealers if you can find something new. But May 2011 perfectly alright because ramjn's MJD is also similar.

Regarding T-Jet, yes it's absolute blast to drive. With the legendary handling it should be even more fun. I hope everything goes as planned and I should be able to join the club.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  9. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Hi all,

I am not able to get the TJet out of my mind. Every time I see a Linea, my heart starts beating faster and I do not like any other car

Requesting knowledgeable fellow TFIans to answer this: is a May manufactured vehicle too old to be not considered. Please let me know.

Thanks
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In my view, May manufactured vehicle is bit old, but if PDI results in good condition, shouldn't be an issue. But one needs to be thorough in PDI.