1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it fine to buy a Punto if it's my first Car?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Relativity, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I don't think there is anything like "First Car". People will also suggest you to "enhance your skills" using a second hand car. I had bought a second hand Santro when my wife started driving car. What a waste. Don't fall for such things. Follow your heart and go for Punto.

LoL. I guess every beginner hear same rumor. I have been driving swift for 6 yrs and now Linea. In both the cases, I was never relied on bonnet visibility. In fact, I don't think bonnet is visible. I could see bonnet only from Hyundai Accent. This is purely based on judgement and experience. Once you start driving more and more, you will automatically get the confidence and feel no need to worry about bonnet visibility. I have seen some Indica, Innova and other cars where people put in vertical rod (couldn't find correct word) to get judgement which is really not needed. You can easily become expert driving any car.

I have not driven Punto but from one ride as a passenger, I could make out that it shares same physical properties (build, handling). There are lot of guys on the forum who can talk about Punto endlessly. Being a Swift owner for 6+ yrs, I can easily see this difference. Yes people go for Maruti for service and re-sale. I had done my first servicing for Linea and was happy with the experience. In Maruti or Hyundai too you can have issues in terms of service. I bought my Linea purely based on TeamFiat. I am happy with my choice and love to drive my beauty every day:).

Go for diesel. You will never know what will be Petrol price in near future. You will get a better mileage too from the diesel engine.

At the end.. Follow your heart.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. To add few more points from myside..

1.Try to drive in roads with less traffic atleast for inital few days to get a feel of your new car . It will help you a lot toget confidence in yourself and car .

2.I accept that it feels good to see the bonnet from the driver seat . But what I follow is always keep safe distance from the vehicle at front . ie, while slowing @ signal or any place behind a vehicle, make sure that you can see the road surface (or base of tyre of your vehicle @ front) . This is much better than seing the bonnet and driving .

So just go ahead and buy the beauty andenjoy the drive .

Ajit
    1 person likes this.
  3. Punto is fine enough for your first car. Regarding seeing the bonnet , that might be a problem but you can always keep a safe distance from other until you are fully confident about bonnet distance.Regarding gearbox it shouldn't be a problem as most learners learn in Maruti 800's and Omni's which have one of the worst gearbox ( specially shifting to 2nd gear from 1st). Regarding clutch travel i guess a longer clutch will help in not stalling the car often as you might with the very sensitive clutch of something like the i10.
    1 person likes this.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Huh? Ford Ikon is still available? I had checked it out over two years ago while scouting for cars before buying Punto and learned that it was an old car about to be discontinued in about a year. I am surprised that it is still available.
  5. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    Punto 1.3 MJD BNW is my first car and I just love its looks, ride and handling.
    (Just came back last month from a 2400 odd kms drive to Bhuj and back.)
    You will naturally be careful when in traffic.
    But do remember to be extra careful when parking - that's where those initial (heart-breaking) scrapes happen.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    So where have you headed for..........FIAT
    If you like the car, they go for it, its a car you will enjoy the every bit of its drive and feel like driving the saloon car, You will be used to it once driven.
    Remember FIAT supplies its Engines to the rivals and Why do you take the car with the Engine of FIAT in it, rather than go for FIAT itself as the A.S.S is Couperin up with better refinement.
    I would like to say Go for FIAT rather than repenting latter on by seeing the Grande zipping past....
    1 person likes this.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    One of the questions that I asked myself when I went for Punto was this. Why should I go for Maruti or TATA car with a FIAT engine, when there is a FIAT car with a FIAT engine?
    1 person likes this.
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Your friend is correct in one point. You will not be able to see the edge of the bonnet (infact you will not see the bonnet at all) however it is not required after few days of driving. The best view is available only in Car, Truck or a Maruthi Omni / Eeco. Do not worry about that. I am 5.5 feet and I drive a Punto with the seat at the lowest possible position comfortably.
  9. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @Relativity, dude even i don't believe in First Car & blah..blah theories.

What i'll suggest you is just drive other cars & at the end drive Punto & let your heart speak. I bet you won't think of any other option!

If you want me to address you in simple words, i'll say ''Go grab it, own it & enjoy it!'' thats all is FIAT is about. She actually some how connects with you & you can feel it.
  10. Punto was my first car and i had booked it even without test drive. I'm happy that i had picked so called difficult car (in terms of HPS, turning radius, clutch etc.). so that all the others cars ( swift, figo and all other other hatchbacks) seem piece of cake to me now.
    1 person likes this.