1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it fine to buy a Punto if it's my first Car?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Relativity, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I am learning to drive and have been reading a lot to decide on my first car. I have figured out that it will be a hatchback due to limited budget of 7 Lakh on raod and that it needs to run on diesel, even though my current daily run is only 10 kms. I plan to drive around over the weekends and stick to diesel in case the daily run shoots up.

I started with the usual suspects, Swift, Figo, i20 and then also looked at Micra, Polo and Fabia.
    For various reasons, i feel drawn to a Fiat GP, even though it's more expensive than a Swift and Figo and doesn't have the A.S.S. to match Maruti/Hyundai/VW/Skoda.

I spoke to a guy today who just bought a Punto today and he advised me that it may not be an appropriate car for me as I just learnt driving and this will be my first car. he said something about other cars giving you a feel of what's ahead while the Punto just gives you a view of the sky. Something about not being able to see your bonnet and turning radius in city driving. He also said it has a long clutch and the gears are not easy to slot.

Please let me know if it would be tough to maneuver a Punto in City traffic? Should I go with something other that a Fiat as my first car?
  2. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Punto 2011 does had a long clutch and a heavy steering but these are now sorted out in 2012 models. The steering is much Lighter, the clutch is ssuper soft and smooth, turning radius have been reduced drastically( now 5M vs 5.5M in 2011 models.) It would not be a problem to go for a Punto and it also has the best dynamics,ride quality,handling and looks (Personal Choice)
    Follow your Heart.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  3. Manilruben

Manilruben Amatore

Drivng skills has got nothing to do with the car you buy its is how good you learned the skill and you have executed on roads... Drivers are bad is not because of the car he drives. So it is always better to buy and drive the car you are passionate about.

PUNTO is a great car by all means so just relax and enjoy your driving.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi relativity, first of all, let me clear one thing. Skoda and VW don't have any advantage in terms of after sales service provided to the customer.

Its only Maruti and Hyundai and that is pre dominantly because of the areas covered by them. They are present even in remote towns and villages. But the number is countered by the great rush at their centers. You can't simply walk and ask for service. You have to seek a booking weeks ahead.

Secondly, as one member already said, don't reject any car just because you are a first time driver. Get rear parking sensors and you are good to go with any car you drive.

How come Punto is costlier than Swift and other cars? Which variants are you comparing.

Also hope you are comparing 2012 models.

Just one more thing, I think the one who gave you the advice regarding hard gear shifts must have recently bought a Punto. For the first 1000km, gears feel a bit hard.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Thank You very much for the responses. I will go for a TD of course, as soon as I am up for it.
    I ride a Enfield and while I was researching a bike, a lot of people discouraged me stating issues with maneuverability in the city. I went ahead with my heart na d have never regretted it once. It might just be the same with the Punto.

What is a parking sensor? I will Google it.
    Also, does anybody have a good experience with a Tata dealer in Chennai for good A.S.S. ? I read good things about VST Motors on Team BHP.
    Please share your experience with the dealers in Chennai.

As for the prices, I was looking at Swift LDI, VDI, ZDI vs Punto Active, Dynamic and Emotion; in that order.
    The 90 HP is whopping 8 lakh + on road in Chennai. I did go through the brochure but is the 90 HP worth that money?
  6. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    The thread header should be - "lucky to buy a punto as my first car"
    Just enjoy the Italian beauty...;-)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    your friend is absolutely wrong.....
    you please go through my introduction thread...
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Go for Punto. I will advice if you can stretch budget, 90HP is dream machine.
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Hi there. You followed your judgement when you chose your bike. So why let anything else influence you when choosing a first car? As people have already said, choosing a first car has nothing to do with how skilled a driver you are.

That said, other than Maruti and Hyundai, no other manufacturer has an edge in A.S.S. You location can be a big decisive factor in the level of after sales support you get. There have been bad eggs in smaller towns, but in big towns, I would rate Fiat service at 8/10 after having gone through experiences of many users.

If you are not going to be a mile cruncher, going with 90hp does not make sense. the 2012 refreshed 1.3 dynamic is actually a great VFM car. I would say, follow your heart and go for it.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Relativity, You made a perfect choice. The Guy who advised you not to buy is pointless. If you are concerned about turning radius, it's hardly going to make any difference with 2012 model. TFI has just reviewed 2012 Punto & its TR is improved. Even if it does, it won't benefit you more that 0.2-0.3 meter.

Sorry but that's not a deal breaker for me. I personally can't leave a Punto for countless other advantages (control, high speed ability, suspension & features) & opt for junk merely for turning radius. Don't miss this chance of owning a fantastic drive & that's too as your first car, just grab it!! The guy putting you off must be some clown:chair:!!