1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it engine oil leakage or something else?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by meples, Mar 2, 2015.

1. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I discovered this while cleaning my car today. I believe there is a slight leakage in the pipe encircled (pic below). I touched it and found it was oil. Is it engine oil? If yes, then should I be worried about it? If I’m required to repair/change it, will it be covered under warranty? My car is just 1.4 years old and has extended warranty.

leak.png

Off topic, but not completely: I service my car at KHT Fiat in Whitefield and my experiences with them have been at best average so far. While their service is prompt, they are pathetic when it comes to the finer details. I have had my car repaired for dents (three occasions) and a bonnet replacement once, I got her back every time with free niggles. Like a broken water tank, spray stains on window and body (this was when they repainted the dents), damaged HU panel, and misaligned front grill.

Why I’m mentioning about KHT is because, I took my car from the workshop two weeks ago. While there is no way to prove that the pipe was leaking even then, my experience with them says they might have ignored or worse, never noticed it at all.

Overall, I’m very unhappy with the quality of parts used in the car. I know this has been discussed at length here and elsewhere, and while I’m ready to live with the cheap-looking plastics and interiors of the car, a leakage in one the pipes in the engine compartment looks like a serious compromise in quality to me.

Please let me know what I should do next?
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Encircled area, seems to have red residues, mostly it is the coolant. Check your levels, if it is going down.
    But the black stain on the engine guard? Looks like oil. Keep checking if there is fresh oil after a ride. Or . it can be due to spilling of oil while top-up or oil change. Keep a watch on the oil Level as well.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    That wet patch on engine guard is engine oil and most probably oil dropped there while changing the oil filter by workshop guys, but still get the car checked in workshop for peace of mind.
    That circled pipe carries coolant and is leaking coolant seen as red marks have it checked
  4. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Sujit & Vijay.
    It's not the spilling of oil during top-up as it would have dried up by now (I took the car two weeks ago). Surprisingly, when I checked the area today the stain was gone. Now I'm not sure what exactly is wrong. Will take her to the workshop and update.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    This confirms it is the wetness because of spilled coolant. Get the coolant hoses checked in FASS. They may decide to change the hose or if the hose is in good condition they may apply a sealant to the hose joint and seal it for the life of the hose! That is what one FASS did in my Punto. No more coolant leaks now.
  6. shanvimal

shanvimal Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi all, I got the linea recently and today, I noticed some leakage at the bottom. Exactly in center between to two front wheels. Since it is night time, I some how tried capturing the photos. Would like to know the reason behind the same. I am worried as I love this car and even small things are hurting me.. My only doubt is i left my car today to place art leather covers. They asked to me to get it closer to the shop, since there was an inclination flooring to two different levels, i did not do. But I gave the car key and left. Not sure if they have tried anything but not opened up this issue to me..

Also even before going to Car jewel shop, today i noticed a pattern of unsmooth gear shifts, meaning before sitting in its position, it stopped, I had to push it to move to the different gear positions. What is the reason? Are these both interconnected in any ways??

IMG_20150320_213743.jpg

IMG_20150320_222643.jpg

IMG_20150320_222716.jpg
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It could be transmission fluid or engine oil or power-steering oil. This looks and sounds like transmission oil more than engine oil. However, please inspect the same at an FASC immediately. I would recommend not starting the vehicle but instead towing it to the service center and getting it checked on a post lift.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    It is water from AC as fluid location on the floor is at a place after the suspension wishbone ends.
    A water droplet is visible in last image from ac drain pipe
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. shanvimal

shanvimal Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks @vIjAy_kHaSa . I checked with the Service Advisor, it is a water draining.. So nothing to worry here. :)
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It is easy to tell it is water or some other fluid. Water condensed from the AC system evaporates and dries up on few hours. It does not leave behind any color. If the liquid dries up after few hours but leaves pink color then it is coolant. Look at the coolant level - if that has dropped it is confirmed to be coolant. If it is any other fluid (other fluids are some kind of oils) they don't evaporate after few hours. If the place is still looking wet after few hours then it is not water. You may have to check levels of other liquids and then decide whether to drive to service station or tow.
    PradeepM likes this.