1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is it advisable to let a mechanic take your drianed car battery to charge?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by AmeyKhedekar, Nov 15, 2014.

1. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Dear sir, i am having Fiat Linea.my car was lying unused from 1st Nov to 14th Nov , and the car battery is already dead. this is the first time my battery was drained out. i contacted a local mechanic, and he was saying he needs to take the battery to his workshop to charge the battery. is this the correct solution to give him the battery to charge? i have heard if the battery is not placed back again as per the correct installation, the battery will behave differently?
    should i give him the battery ??
    thanks and regards.
  2. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    That's the only way out. Fully drained battery needs to be charged for min 8-10 hrs.

Don't worry there is nothing to worry about battery installation.
    AmeyKhedekar and prabhjot like this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @AmeyKhedekar
    If you dont want to remove the battery, you can ask the technician to get a charged battery and jump start your car's dead battery. Once the battery is charged just enough to start the engine, you can then continue charging keeping the engine running. The best way is to run the car for a substantial time.

Next time you want to leave the car idle, disconnect the battery cables. Ensure that do have the music key code available handy.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If the battery has weakened or there are signs of battery aging then an 8-10hr charge is necessary. Else as suggested a long drive after jump start could help. Always a good time to check the alternator charging voltage in such situations. The local battery shop has a meter for same, no need for SC.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  5. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    thank you sir(s) for your valuable time and information.
    i have seen cars in my building where a new hatchback's batterey would die even for not used it for 4 days whose usage is minimal. and a mid-sizer sedan whose batterey refuses to die, even tough he is out of town for months and the building watchman idles his car for 5mins once a month and car still starts without hiccups.
    i have EXIDE, it is a reputed brand, my car was not idle for such a long time of 15days.
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Have you installed any after market accessories in your car, electronics installed by the car dealer as well is aftermarket? Improper wiring out these devices is the major cause for battery drain since power continues to be consumed even when the car is not running.

Some components like the vehicle's body computer consume power even when the car is powered off. This is what allows you to use your remote key less entry etc. However, the power drain is minimal and a weak battery might drain out in the number of days you mentioned while a strong one might not have any issues.

Unfortunately, The brand reputation does not mean anything when something in your car is continuously draining power. Also, one has to note that OEM supplied batteries come with lower warranty periods and are often believed to be of lower quality than what one can buy in the open market. Car manufacturers would mostly pay very less to OEM battery manufacturers since they purchase in bulk and do not care about how long the battery lasts. This is a kind of cost cutting strategy.

If you believe there is nothing in the car that is draining the power, as someone suggested above, best solution is to remove the negative terminal of the battery whenever you leave your car idle for a long time. And don't worry it is completely safe to remove the -ive terminal and anyone can do it with the correct size spanner.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  7. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    i have Linea Classic, my car came without
    1. central locking
    2. music player
    3. parking sensors.
    these are the only electrical features i have installed on my car with fiat warranty at the dealership.
    before installation, i had inquired, the sales guy said, as all parts are from Fiat, they provide warranty for the same. and said they have skilled workers and there is no need to worry about any electricals being loosen.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Highly likely that one of those accessories is draining the battery slowly.
  9. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    battery upgrade is the solution? after 3 yrs when the stock battery has its life, then an higher voltage power the solution? or follow the manual book?