1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is IPL dividing India?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Stopped watching cricket. If you change channels, then come the horrible news-hungry channels. So watching TV very less these days.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Waiting for the day this circus ends, so my wife will spend more time with me, not so I can watch something else on TV :D

PS: BTW, we do get channels like NG, Discovery, Animal Planet, Discovery Turbo, etc. It is up to us to decide what we want to watch :D
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

well you are right in one way and wrong in another.
    In my case I bought a kickass 46" Sony just to watch Discovery HD and NGC HD .(Which i dreamt of as a kid)
    What am i watching now.

A game called cricket , a game called IPL which according to me is nothing but India's version of BaseBall!! :(
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The typical Indian cricket fan needs to be a case study as well. One moment the fan will put a rose garland around a cricketer's neck, provided the cricketer is performing well. The moment the.player puts in one bad performance, the typical cricket fan will not hesitate to put a "faansi ka fanda" ( hangman's noose) around the players neck. Extremely fickle. I use the word typical repeatedly to stress on the particular kind of fan that we all know. Not all are like them, but the majority is.

Fans are meant to stand by their players even if they go through a rough patch.
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Has EPL divided UK... Nopes.. so in short the answer is No IPL can not divide India.. some club based fan following and rivalry is good for business.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

^^ Whose business? The immature greedy players' who are willing to sell their souls? The selfish bookies' who are willing to throw money at the aforementioned players, so as to ensure bigger betters loose? Or the betters' business itself?

What a shame. I used to watch this sport ardently when I was a teenager in the prime days of the likes of Sir Gary Sobers, Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards,Gundappa Ranganath Viswanath, Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan were playing and TV was still a novelty. I am very saddened to see what is happening today.

To add salt to the wound, Arnab Goswami has the gall to ask Mr. Srinivasan, the BCCI president - "There is one question in the minds of a billion Indians today and I as a journalist am asking this question to you. Has your system to curb this menance not failed?"

I am one of those billion and I have a question for you Mr. Arnab Goswami. " Wouldn't you agree that this chain of vicious events was started by people who were willing to bet on these games (I refuse to call it sport any more)? Aren't they also part of this billion you claim to be representing?"

What happens now? The players' careers come to an end, the bookies get fined. Sadly, the people who bet on this fiasco and set the ball rolling (pun intended) will go unpunished. They will merrily proceed to make scapegoats of more players in the next season.

One last question Mr. Goswami - "When in the world are we going to wake up?"

As of today, Is IPL dividing India? - It certainly is.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    What we are not realizing is that the spirit of unity India had when it played Cricket in those days is gone now. IPL may not look harmful as of today, but is certainly not going to do any good in the future.
    3 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hope IPL Cheer leaders are safe from controversies ::V
    2 people like this.