1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is IPL dividing India?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Did we forget what happened in last year's IPL? Why would a CM participate in this circus if this is just a rich man's game. This is very dangerous trend in my opinion.

It was de facto holiday in Kolkata on Tuesday as the Mamata Banerjee government pulled out all the stops to celebrate Kolkata Knight Riders' Indian Premier League (IPL) win with thousands of people on the streets and offices reporting thin attendance.

Businesspersons and economists termed it a colossal loss of manhours and productivity.

The West Bengal capital came to a virtual standstill as office-goers either took time off to celebrate or couldn't get to work even if they wanted to because of road restrictions and traffic snarls.

Thousands lined the roads to watch the victory parade of the Knights, an estimated 70,000 gathered at Eden Gardens where the team was given a civic reception and 20,000-30,000 stood outside, despite it being a working day, unable to get inside.

While the Mamata Banerjee-led government, fighting to clear a debt burden of over Rs 2 lakh crore, celebrated, a section of Kolkatans and businesspersons tried to calculate the enormous losses.

Source - Mamata Banerjee faces industry's flak for Kolkata Knight Riders' IPL win celebration - Business Today
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Even I don't. IPL telecast looks like a nicely-scripted, finely-directed and well-photographed mega serial in HD with all the ingredients of a suspense thriller, romantic comedy and family melodrama combined.
    6 people like this.
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

Let me be a bit personal while answering this. It was so obvious of a vacuous politician like Mamta milking the KKR win [Personal opinion]. But Mamta's endorsement is hardly the public's or let me put it this way - is not the choice of the entire populace. The same article says, people who wanted to get to office couldn't. A 1 lakh crowd for the victory parade is a miniscule when compared to the 14 million population that Kolkata holds.

Note: Please do not quote the entire post while responding. Quote only the relevant parts. Please go through the posting rules: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/announcements/9288-tfi-rules.html#post161515
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You are right. But, I don't want to get into the motive of the politicians. What I am trying to say is that this trend is not healthy and may be dangerous if the same happens with other states too. I wish this does not repeat. But, I don't know if that is going to happen.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    This is one lady who has to be blamed for the sad state of affairs and the financial health of Railways. Somebody else did sow the seed, but this lady became the super fertilizer to decay the financial health of railways :A

She will go to any extent to get political mielage. Today West Bengal is no where good as any other states in the country be it in growth or governance or providing employement to the state's residents.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I don't watch cricket in any format so thankfully i'm not a part of the alleged divide being created. :)

On a serious note, we must look at the English footballing scene to understand any of the effects of IPL on promoting regionalism or so to say dividing India - a country composed of many countries. The Liverpool fan has a born hatred of the Manchester United fan ,the Arsenal guy might hate on the Chelsea guy and so on. But in the bigger scheme of things has it led to polarisation of their unity at the national level. Its a mighty question. And in my opinion, it hasn't. Yes the Liverpool and Manchester guy might spar with each other during a game but no doubting both would stand shoulder to shoulder when it comes to national unity.

IPL is too young and too artificial / gross to inculcate such behaviour pan-India. It'll be a fallacy to assume it can be what EPL is to England as our over enthusiastic journos might lead us to believe.

I, for one, am eagerly waiting for the demise of cricket in India. It is only then will the other sports get a realistic chance of growth.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  7. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Very well said Gurjinder paaji.

The history of English football goes on from the 1880s, which is a very, very long time compared to the IPL. Football has effectively become a part of the local culture of the Englishmen. The description of Birmingham, Liverpool, London or Manchester won't be complete whithout mentioning the respective football clubs of those cities. I doubt that IPL will be able to replicate that. And I am 100% sure that it won't last even a fraction of the time English football has managed to.

OT: Congrats on the 20th, paaji.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Is this a healthy trend?

Furious after being booed by the crowd in Mumbai, Royal Challengers Bangalore captain Virat Kohli said IPL fans tend to forget that he competes for India as well and their jeering can end up creating “hatred among the players”.

Kohli was booed by fans at the Wankhede Stadium after a controversial run-out incident during RCB’s match against the Mumbai Indians in Mumbai on Saturday night.

Source - IPL fans forget I play for India too: Kohli
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Fans are cheering the team they support and don't care whether a certain player in the opponent team is from team India or not. I think the fans are right here. They are behaving in the context of IPL. They will never exhibit the same behavior when team india plays against a foreign team. Fans are not that broad-minded to support an player in the opposing team just because he is an indian player. Team India better forget the cricket inspired patriotism when playing the IPL.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have no idea if IPL is indeed dividing the country, but it sure is dividing my little family. My wife is a big fan and insists on life getting adjusted to IPL timings. I hate it, but I love her enough not to say no :D

Waiting for the day this circus ends.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.