1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is IPL dividing India?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is running on my mind for quite some time now. Recently, read an old article in The Hindu which cautions on the format of IPL.

“The victory over Pakistan and Sri Lanka gave us a warm feeling where you smiled and shared the joy with your neighbour even if that person is not part of your team and didn't know him/her personally. People had smiles that remained stuck on the faces. Now, with the beginning of IPL, I will have to be aware that I am from Chennai and the team my neighbour is cheering may not be necessarily the team I am cheering. So, yes some of the bonhomie and shared happiness will disappear,” says an IT employee who followed most of the games at the office canteen with office mates.

Read the full article here.

Some may argue that this is just a sport/entertainment element. If true, what is the necessity of including State/City name with the team? It can just be Team Super kings, Team Royal Challengers, Team Dare Devils, etc.,. I don't see a single reason for including city/state with the team name other than dividing the audiences. Take any team, 80-90% of the members don't have any connection with the State/City they are playing for. I have started to believe the theory that Indian unity is taking a toll with the IPL.

Thoughts?
    4 people like this.
  2. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    As a schoolboy living in Dehradun, what I have observed is that the criteria for choosing a team to support by my classmates, those who do not belong to any of the IPL cities (or states), is based on other factors like team owners, presence of favourite players etc. Those who do belong to these cities/states support that team in most cases. Take for example my case, I am from Punjab, hence support Kings XI Punjab.

But does it divide us? Perhaps not. The thought of, "I dislike my friend because his favourite IPL team has defeated mine" has never come to our minds.

Am not saying that IPL does not have the potential to create a divide, perhaps it does, all I am saying is that I haven't come accross it.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Ramjn, it really is a debatable topic.
    my thoughts : IPL is purely business than sport. To sell a product they are using different possible means and thats where we see these state/city name coming in from.
    In my opinion one shouldn't take this as much seriously as a national game. Reason being none (or most) from the so caled state/city team are from the state/city itself so where does the support for a team come from!!
    I dont like IPL (especially after 2nd season) as much and take it as an entertainment for leisure and nothing further than that.

I dont think there is any question of division here as i see every body support multiple teams depending on the match between whom and who the players are
    1 person likes this.
  4. During my college day’s I used to have few of my college mates from AP. Some were big fans of an actor who endorse Thumbs Up. Some others were fans of another actor who endorse Pepsi (or Coke). They will drink only soft drinks endorsed by their followed actor (or at least they don’t drink the one endorsed by other actor), goes in high air when their actor’s movie gets release, tease other’s actor. However, it just stops there. Outside that box they were very thick and always seen together.

Similarly, I feel that this IPL craze (or division) end once an IPL season ends or it lives max for a month after that.
    3 people like this.
  5. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    :eek:fftopic

IPL is nothing but a "GREAT INDIAN CIRCUS" wherein they are trying to harvest a entire generation (through stupid ads)
    so that the public/people feed them (i.e the corporates) in the future in the form of advertisement revenue and junk food consumption etc etc at the cost of their (people's) well being. (utter wastage of productive/self constructive time of people as they watch these fixtures included in the package as well)

and yes i forgot to mention GILI GILI GILI!! (heck!)
    :lol
    4 people like this.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I sincerely wish that my thoughts go wrong. What is more worrying is, will the Indian audiences (majority) have enough maturity to take this sportive in the long run? I am not talking about us who are well informed and analyze things.
  7. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    That was my Facebook status "IPL is diving India" :p
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am one of perfect example of a person converted from hardcore Cricket fan to ultimate Cricket hater. I could still remember each and every match India played in 1992 world cup in Australia. I even bunked (from School) to watch India matches. I used to go to my grand father's house to watch cricket without letting my parents know about this. :)

Now, for the past few years, I am completely out of Cricket and I don't even know about the players who play for each team.

Long ago, whatever be the domestic issue, I felt the complete unity in India when ever India plays cricket with other countries and especially Pakistan. Another occasion where India united with single voice was during the Kargil war. I am not seeing such element (sense of unity) for the past 5-10 years.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    3 people like this.
  9. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    Follow football, its better. :p

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Seriously? People are watching IPL even these days?

I dont. I watched first two seasons, then on it was a downward spiral in terms of interest.

The good thing is that i used to watch the national team playing at times; thanks to IPL i even stopped that. Now that is complete wash-out of cricket from my life.

Can IPL divide India? I really don't think so.

Why?

I still think as a league it doesnt have enough traction among the public to create sentiments that can create rifts in our society. When it started off, i thought it could have a credible impact on our sporting culture. But today it is just a rich man's circus and nothing more. Less of sport and more of what not.

There is a limitation for a short format league (2 months??) unlike and EPL or any football club season that runs for a longer period of time. In this age of fickle-memory, public will move on once the spectacle is over and you can see a lot of fans changing their allegiance with seasons. For example, my friend who was die-hard fan or Dravid used to support RCB and now Rajasthan Royals.

All said, i still find time to watch a weekly Arsenal match and follow Santosh Trophy, I-league and Indian football teams playing in AFC matches. ( I am sure some of you know I-league!) :D
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    2 people like this.