1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is any Extra Care/Attention required during first 5K run?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Fiatian, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams, after taxing, not idling will kill the turbo, so they are playing it safe ;).
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes this is something many of us do not follow :) as per the manual we should keep an eye on engine temp guage and not demand too much performance from the engine until the needle is in the center
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    My ritual of idling the engine couple of minutes in the morning seems to have lot of hidden benefits. I live on the highway, you see :D

Rajan
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    possibly that is how i killed my punto's turbo sometime back ;) was not aware of this initially :p
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yes even modern turbo diesels. Mainly the concept of turbo remains the same, be it old or new. Great to know you are willing to get more info. I have even seen this sticker in brand new volvo buses. Basically its quite a simple logic. When cold the components are already in relaxed state and oil is totally drained in the sump. Secondly oil is thin i.e 5 weight in case of 5W40 oil.
    So when you start the engine and immediately drive off all the moving parts dont get enough lubrication. The Turbo bearings which are very critical face a brunt.
    If you idle for a minute the combustion chamber heats up and oil is also passing through all the channels, bearings and turbo.

Black also gave us a very good link

Turbocharger Maintenance 101

- - - Merged Post - - -

You already killed one Turbo :eek:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    this brings me to another question...
    is it safe to turn AC on before the temp reaches optimum?
    i live in bangalore and keep travelling to chennai for work (like I am now) and here in chennai even at 8AM its like 11AM in blr so i'm forced to use the AC almost instantly ..
    I try hard to not use it till the temp is reached but sometimes i super-seed it.

Is there any harm? (i've done this a couple of times now)
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, had an experience to share regarding highway drives. Couple of times when I did day journeys in KSRTC Volvos, purposefully booked the front seat just to enjoy the view through the windshield :D However while doing so, started to observe the bus driver's driving habit. Believe me guys, it was a great learning as to how to drive a diesel powered vehicle (Note: Am referring to Karnataka State Road Transport drivers only. Usually they are known for sensible driving unlike private travels Volvo drivers which I need not say :evilsmile) Few techiniques noticed -

a) They always follow engine idling before starting and after stopping.
    b) They never try to push the Volvo in initial gears. They wait for the engine to build up RPMs and then gather speed. No hard footing at all. (Remembered a line here - Diesel engines have to be nurtured to extract performance and not abused)
    c) Butter smooth gear changing on highways.
    d) No sudden braking unless a panic situation
    e) They give way for cars and other smaller vehicles to overtake
    f) Maintain a safe speed of @ 90-100 kmph. All KSRTC buses are equipped with Speed limiters. For Volvos, I believe its 90 or 100 kmph and normal buses, its @ 80 kmph
    g) They always double check the OVRMs while shifting lanes.

I just admire the way these drivers handle huge Volvos. Especially the multi axle ones. I feel they are epitome of grace when I see them cruising on higways. Just like an elephant taking a stroll in the woods :clap

These might be very basic techniques, but helped me a lot in understanding how to drive a diesel mill vehicle. Especially on highways.

OT: Few GK points while chatting with the driver - Volvos have 2 fuel tanks and I believe its capacity is @ 600 ltrs ;) Avg mileage on highways is @ 2.5-3 kmpl. One of the bus had 6L kms on the ODO and still it was so damn smooth! :shocked

This is my question too!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Well the AC compressor contributes to approximate 5% and less of the total engine load. So once you idle for say 1 minute its okay to turn on the AC.
    We need not just see the temp needle reaching the mid mark because its the coolant temp. The engine is already headted within.
  9. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I am trying to practice idling after reading the threads here. However, it so happens that I turn off the ignition as soon as I reach parking space as a reflex action at times. Just want to check how damaging it can be if this happens inadvertantly. However, I normally always upshift early and do not go above 2.5k rpm during city drives and last 1km or so is always driven below 2k rpm. In this type of situations, perhaps its ok even if idling is missed occasionally, as it is not really a taxing drive?

Thanks in advance for the advice :) And sorry Fiatian for hijacking your thread for silly questions.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore
    Its alright SNCK, in fact the information shared by folks here is very useful and I am really happy to learn such things detailing driving manner and keeping heart strokes right for our lovely GP :)

Lessons learned here will be carried way long with GP :clap More inputs are welcome :up
    1 person likes this.