1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is any Extra Care/Attention required during first 5K run?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Fiatian, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore

:wow Happy to know this. Now I am quite confident to take my GP for a long drive and would definitely ensure idling before and after run for sometime.

I am now ready and all set for my drive :car
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Is this written on most of the modern turbo diesel cars as well?let me clarify i am not trying to debate here but instead my motive is to get more information about the same based on which we can conclude that it indeed helps. I haven't read manuals from any other brand. can you point us to some source on the internet which explains the same.

logic given in the manual says that engine temperature rises very very slowly while idling hence its not recommended. it doesn't say anything about turbo
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Can you kindly share that bit from the manual, preferably click a pic of the page or a scan. I am very interested to read the bit about temperature rising very very slowly when idling and hence not being recommended.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Here you go:
    page 98 of punto owners manual
    2013-01-02 20.56.25.jpg

page 95: this is about idling after a taxing drive
    2013-01-02 20.56.53.jpg

excuse the quality as pictures have been taken by mobile camera. i would request someone to post better quality pics
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Here you go

Page95.JPG

Page98.JPG

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanks for sharing Rajan and Shams.

The manual, as is the automotive world of today, is indeed prioritising conserving every drop of fuel over any other thing. Not surprising considering the push by the entire auto industry for greater efficiency and lesser emissions. Start up and drive so that not even a drop of fuel is wasted standing idle - the catalyst warms up fast so that it does it's duty even more quickly and reduces emissions.

But the question we must ask ourselves is : Is this practice the best for the engine and more importantly, the turbo. Engines have progressed a great deal - but basically how much of a change has there been, apart from refinement : not much. The basics which were true those years back hold true still today. A cold piston still has to heat up to expand to it's operating size, although by a lesser margin. The turbo's fluid bearing still needs oil pushed through it for it to function. And oils still take some time to provide proper lubrication to the engine and turbo.

If you start up and move immediately : will you be giving some time for that piston to atleast warm up a bit ; will you be ensuring that the fluid bearing has atleast had enough oil supplied through it to ensure proper function.

I do not know if one or two minutes is sufficient for the above mentioned situations. But what i do know is they will definitely be a far better bet than starting and moving off immediately.

I will be sticking to my routine of idling religiously as I know it's the best for my engine. I'll accept the higher consumption, if any. :)

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Gurujinder: I follow what you are recommending, albeit inadvertently.

In the mornings, I crank up the engine, then check all tyres and windshield, take a flower which my wife picks from the garden for the Ganapathy in the car, say a prayer to him and then start. In the evenings, it is somewhat the opposite. I crank the car, close all doors, enjoy a smoke and then start. I hate the temperature change inside the car after I start driving. So, I wait for the temperature to stabilize and then start. Good to know I have been caring for the engine as a side effect :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Manual also says to have speed in check when you start immediately.

So my, personal, view is, when you are driving daily office type drive, where you hardly cross 10-15 kmph speed, its ok to start immediately. But on highway type drive, when you try to have good speed soon, have some idling time.
    So making an habit of idling for sometime is good.

This is similar, as manual says, alignment & balancing to be done at interval of 15K KM, but generally suggested to do it at 5-7 K KM.
    1 person likes this.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    maybe thats true but if that is the case then they would not have advised for idling the engine after a taxing drive too..