1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is any Extra Care/Attention required during first 5K run?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Fiatian, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore
    Hello Team,

Is any Extra Care/Attention required during first 5K run for GP 1.3 ?

I have clocked only 800Kms still date, now I am planning to travel around 3500Kms within 2 weeks, so please suggest if any precautions are to be taken during this period.

Please share your experience during first 5000Kms run, this will definitely help us to take better care of new GP.

Thanks
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    First and foremost - not only first 5k kms but throughout the life, idle 1 min before starting and before stopping. This will save your turbo.

Dont overstress the engine in first 1500 kms atleast. I.e no full throttle bursts. Dont go above 3000 rpms.

Keep changing gears and dont drive extended periods only in 4th or 5th gear.
    3 people like this.
  3. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore
    Thanks Italia-Linea :)

Apart from maintaining RPM and gear ratio, do I need to take a breaks during long travels? to ensure engine doesn't get overstress.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

I would recommend 10-15 mins breaks in every 2-3 hrs of running.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  5. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore
    I'll take few breaks during my travel.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Ideally the engine wont, but human can. But its good for both Engine as well as Human to take a break like Shadowfax suggested.
    2 people like this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The key thing is idling before shutting the engine when stopping during a highway run. It is during highway runs that the turbo is working the hardest.

Example scenario : We're blasting down a highway and suddenly stop for tea/snacks and shut the engine off immediately. This is not a good practice. Let the turbo cool down a bit - idle for a minute or two and then turn it off. You never see a marathon runner jump straight into the pool after a marathon, do you? :)

To idle the engine or not is a contentious topic with equal proponents on both sides of the debate. But i'm a pro-idling guy for life!
    3 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Gurjinder - would this apply to turbo petrol engines as well? I am assuming it would, as the turbo works pretty much the same way, irrespective of the type of fuel. Just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,
    Rajan
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi, Maintain steady speeds don't push hard on the engine it will open up gradually as you drive along
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Even more so. The exhaust temperatures of a turbo petrol are much higher than a turbodiesel. That is the sole reason why you will find that the turbo's of turbopetrols are watercooled and those of turbodiesels are not - in general.

Exempli Gratia - Tjet's turbo is watercooled ; Multijet's is not.

Cheers.
    4 people like this.