1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is 3m good to get the car's paint sheen restored

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by abhinit90, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It depends on current condition of your car's exterior. Visit them once and they should be able to advice you accordingly. You may opt Paint Protection for Old cars.
  2. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Oh ok, thanks for replying, shall update the thread accordingly.

The only thing that concerned me was that they will obviously quote the highest package so that they may extract the most money out of me :Fear:
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If you are apprehensive about this, visit them and get the advice and post it here. TFI'ians should be able to advice on the recommended package from them.
  4. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    ^^ I think I'll do that, thank you
    If the place is too far, I'll maybe call someone from here, if that's okay :fear:
  5. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    3M care is always good. only thing is they are little expensive. paint protsction will cost close to 4500/- it wil cover very small scraches however deep cuts will remain same.

i have done pain protection for my car in Aug find the details in the below link.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/body/7061-3m-car-care.html#post123501

Regards
    Sreejith
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I visited 3M twice in last 2 months, JP Nagar, Blr. What i observed, they have 2 moods, one best service and other quick service.
    best service depends on the mood of the person assigned to your car
    Foam washing and wipe dry is done - output, if the washing guys are pissed off (sorry for the language), then you may get some areas as is and don't be surprised.
    me being a demanding person, asked them rewash the vehicle, which further Frowns (language corrected) them, you may end up in some minor soap or foam ridden areas.

The drying process air with wipe clean is a awful if you are not watching them.

the polishing was done by another guy, who managed to skip the passenger door altogether and had to show him ...

When time to pay the bill, they will come with innovative marketing strategy, the paint protection sheet or film - i fell for it all my doors and area under the door handles were filmed costing some 1600 odd.

after tough feed back, was given a coupon of 250/- for next time use.

After all this imagine the Quick Service !!

About Paint protecting film : it gathers lot of dust on its edges and will look shabby after some time, if possible avoid the spending on it. Door handle under side protection was not done properly and paint peeled off !! Unsure if its 3M's fault or Fiat's !!
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    kedarbendre likes this.
  7. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have been a frequent visitor to 3M Car Care (Nandanam), so far I tried Foam Wash, UV treatment and Under body coating from 3M, pretty much impressed with their service.

Thinking of Paint Sealant treatment for my Linea in next couple of months as it got some contaminants, tar, swirl marks and minor scratches. From my understanding, 3M Paint Sealant treatment is nothing but doing rubbing/polishing by removing some microns (say 5 - 7 microns out of 40 - 50 microns) of clear coat and applying sealant/wax.

My questions are,

--> Is that safe or advisable to remove some microns from the clear coat? won't it affect the paint in long run ?

--> I know some people are advising not to go with paint sealant just stick with wash/wax, if that's the case, any other safer way to remove at least contaminants and tar (I'm okay to live with swirl marks and minor scratches, those are getting covered by doing waxing) ? I am somewhat not keen on using Kerosene, Diesel, WD40, Thinner etc to remove contaminants/tar as these will also remove some clear coat, will Formula 1 Bug and Tar remover or something along those from reputed manufacture helps? Any one tried?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can try Waxpol rubbing compound. But most rubbing compounds do contain abrasives, if used without too much pressure and in a limited manner, the same could be used for removing tough contaminants or other colored abrasions. Wash and Wax is best solution; even better if done separately.

Ideally CQuartz products (nano coatings) have longer lasting shine and protection. Check this link here.

3M does it in detail but as you said removes some layer of lacquer, better to go for plastic films where applicable to protect paint.
    Crazy Fiatian likes this.
  9. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    I need to get it done for Tizzie also now , it's been 2 years almost and not one treatment done. Initially i used to be at it every weekend and managing to maintain a shine despite my car cleaning guy , but for the last 1 year she has been standing around a house which is under construction and a new car cleaning fellow who is even worse. I loved the results 3M had produced for the Fabia and very inclined but it will be expensive , i think maybe about 8000 + taxes for a car this size.

Picture9.jpg
    Crazy Fiatian likes this.