1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Is 3m good to get the car's paint sheen restored

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by abhinit90, Mar 25, 2013.

1. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    After getting our car, we haven't really done any treatment on the car's exterior.

So we were thinking of going to 3m and getting it waxed by them.

The car has a lot of swirls too. Is any other treatment necessary? or is waxing enough.

I'm a resident of New Delhi, are there other better places for such work?

Another unrelated thingy, the rear right tyre loses pressure, sometimes 5psi in a week sometimes 5 psi in 2 weeks. The car is usually out for 20 kms once in a week, but the tyre pressure of other tyres remains roughly the same and decreases by about 2-3psi. The valves are fine, if there is a minor puncture, will any other regular puncture chaps be able to repair it, or will they insert a tube, which I don't want to. Any other suggestions

Thank you for reading :)
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    How old is your car?
    3M car care has many packages depending on the age of the car. They have a package called 'Paint Protection for new cars' for cars less than 90 days old. This comes with 1 year warranty and is very good. They have similar treatments for older cars too but, will cost more. They do their best to remove the swirl marks. That again depends on how deep it is on your car. Visit them once and they should be able to give you a demo.

Immediately check for the puncture.
  3. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    This could be because of some minor puncture. I too faced similar thing and it was because of some minor puncture. So I suggest to get it checked in a puncture shop. I have a small doubt whether a bent wheel/alloy can lead to this, this can be checked in a wheel alignment shop. But in most cases I have seen alignment shop can repair puncture as well.

Regards
    Gopi
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

3M paint treatment is totally worth it like once in an year or two.

My 90HP was idle at the factory exposed to all elements of nature and mankind for almost 22 months and it had all possible contaminants on the paint surface.

Went to 3M, 5 hours later and my wallet being 4K lighter, this was the end result.

uploadfromtaptalk1364228534363.jpg

All that is needed now is regular cleaning with waxing and cleaning of bird poo.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.
  5. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    OT:- Seems I have been too lazy all these days. :) I didn't know that you have normal 90HP. I was thinking that you got Punto Sports. Is your 90HP manufactured in 2011?
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yeah, it is a 2011 make. Was apprehensive initially but then I was in a state where I could not rollback. So took the plunge and am I happy, yes, but a tad many niggles with this car, sorting each out one by one. I would be the frequent visitor of RDC would have visited them like 6 times already, and going there tomorrow even. :D

Anyway the car is getting sports clothes soon, slightly different from how BNW sports comes from the factory. :)

7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    3M is good as long as you are uninitiated into the world of detailing. Once you know your chemicals, you will never go there.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Right. But, everyone cannot be as passionate as you in detailing :). At least I am too lazy in this. I prefer going there once in 2 months for foam wash and once in a year for the exterior detailing.
    1 person likes this.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

But the use of rubbing compounds, orbital polishers need skilled hands. People who do detailing day in and day out and know the intricacies involved, trained by 3M directly. Personally, am no good as them, all I can do is maintain the gloss by using the detailing products I have.

10. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Thank you for replying, the car is about 16 months old and there has no external treatment been done.

What do you advise should I do, any name for the routine?

:)