1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Introducing...The THUNDERBOLT

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by dattatray, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dattatray

dattatray Timido

New Delhi
    Alright!! So here I am with an ownership review of the THUNDERBOLT, my very own FIAT Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack. :cool

First of all, please accept my apologies as I am writing this review a year after I bought it. I was too busy with work and couldn’t take out time for the forum.

It all started on 4th of April 2011 when my father bought a Hyundai SANTRO ZIP Plus LPG version (after looking at Wagon R LPG, Chevrolet BEAT LPG, Hyundai Accent LPG). It was a decent car but not economical as per my daily running. I was running close to 2500 kms per month and even though it was LPG, it used to cost me around Rs. 10,000/- per month. After 6 months, I made up my mind to sell it off and go for a diesel car.

Around the same time our fellow TFI member and my colleague Shadowfax (Sreejesh) had bought his Grande Punto 90 HP. I had driven his car multiple times and was very attracted towards the feel and looks of the car. But I still wanted to look at other options before deciding on Punto.

So in November 2011 I started my hunt for a diesel car, something which will fit my budget as this was the second car I was buying in a year. Since I had already driven a Punto and knew its features and pricing I decided to check out the other options I have in the market. And here is what I found out.

Chevrolet BEAT - Nice car but too small.

The New Maruti Suzuki SWIFTVDI was in my budget but not worth Rs. 7,50,000 as it was not even providing rear wiper and defogger, let alone other safety features. And some features that I was looking for were available in the ZDI but I won’t pay Rs. 8,00,000+ for a Swift. And moreover, there was a waiting period of 4 months which I didn't have the patience for.

Hyundai i20 – Grossly overpriced is all I could say.

Volkswagen POLO – Again, Grossly Overpriced.

To summarize it, all cars except the BEAT had one thing in common. The mid range variants did not have any attractive features and the top end ones were highly expensive and not worth it.

Whereas, the Grande Punto had everything. ABS, Airbags, EBD, Blue and Me, Rear Wiper, Defogger, Central Locking, Keyless Entry, a decent music system, Steering Audio controls, amazing ride quality, meaty steering and the list goes on. All this within 8 lakhs.

Finally, I made up my mind for the Punto although my parents were not very eager about buying a FIAT. It took me some time to convince them. I liked the 90HP a lot, but wanted to check out the other variants as well. So I went to Galaxy Motors on Shadowfax’s recommendation and checked out the Emotion Pack 75HP. The only major difference in the two variants was the extra 15 horses that the 90 HP has got. Other than that, red stitching on seats and Chrome door handles was something I could live without. And I was saving approximately 35 grands.

I decided to go for the 1.3 Emotion Pack (Although I regret the decision till today :A) and use the 35 grands to get a VIP number for the car. The On-Road price was coming up to Rs. 7,28,192/-. Galaxy motors was giving me free insurance (costing Rs. 22,957) plus Rs. 17,000 discount. So the benefits were coming up to approximately Rs. 40,000/- :dancing

Then came the part where I had to choose the color and the only ones that I had in my mind were Bossa Nova White and Hip Hop Black. I wanted Black but my parents didn’t let me go for it saying it’s not an auspicious color :(. Hence I decided to go with BNW.

I sold off my Santro on 10th of December, 2011 after driving it for 17,000 kms in 8 months and started the bank formalities for my THUNDERBOLT. I applied for a Loan with SBI since they were giving me a 7 year tenure option. The EMI was coming up to Rs. 6957/- per month for a Loan amount of 4 lakhs.

20th December was the day I got the delivery of my Punto. I couldn’t do a PDI due to time constraints but a quick check up at the showroom on the delivery day was satisfying. The car was perfect. And it has been that way till today. No issues at all except for a few hiccups. Completed 34,704 kms till today in 1 year and 16 days.

I don’t have any pictures from the delivery day but I am posting some pictures of the THUNDERBOLT that I took later on a trip to Panchgani.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    21 people like this.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

great decision and a great choice..
    welcome to the club and now the pampering begins. :)
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Wow such a nice write up pal.

FIAT should really give an option of having Black grills in BNW GP ;)
  4. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

wow beautiful pictures.... looking forward to hear more about your ownership...
  5. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Welcome to TFI.....

and nice Number........
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice pics!! Keep them coming and @ 35k kms in a year is superb running :clap
  7. Very well written..the fancy number is too good..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. testdrive

testdrive Amatore

Great Pics. try to post Interior pic, have fun.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Nice pics of thunderbolt. Wishing u happy million miles ahead

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    nice write up raje !!! :)

by anychance are you from PVPIT college ?