1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Interesting article in Sep 2012 Overdrive Magazine

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by sanjeevskartha, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I found an interesting article in Overdrive Magazine's Sep 2012 edition. The article was a comparo on the time taken for 0-100-0 of cars in different segments. The following was the statistics provided in the hatchback segment.

data.JPG

As you can see,as per OD, Punto languishes at the last position in 0-100 timings and is at a mediocre 3rd place in the 100-0 timings :mad:

Some observations came across my mind:

1. Why in heavens would somebody do a 0-100 comparo on five petrol and a diesel car (Punto was the only diesel car in the competition) and then rank the diesel at the bottom? It is quite apparent that petrol cars have an edge over their diesel counterparts in terms of accelaration from rest. If OD is not bothered about these things, they might as well have added a human-powered cycle rickshaw into the competition.

2. Among the petrol cars, four of them have a displacement of 1200cc. Fabia is 1598cc. Is this a fair or even a logical comparison to do? Why could'nt they use 1.2l Fabia ?

3. Hyundai i20 1.2 VTVT has the best braking from 0-100 at 3.26 sec. Punto is mediocre at 3.43 sec.Swift is the worst at 3.45 sec. I have not driven the petrol versions of i20 and Swift, so anyone who has done so, could you please comment on this? In my humble experience, Puntos braking was among the best of the cars which I have driven.

To any casual reader, this would translate as follows:
    "Punto,that too 90hp, is slow. Braking is mediocre"

And we wonder why people don't buy Fiat cars. :A
    Your thoughts please..
    1 person likes this.
  2. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    OD's bernard is a fiat basher.in one of the video review,he reports that microsoft bluetooth was not function by saying in wrong accent.

so don' buy those words.
    3 people like this.
  3. Hmm. One more very much biased but much needed recipe content for "Kitni Deti Hai" junta. For every comparo, there has to be a common conditions set and this particular one breaks that in the basics itself. Sometimes IGNORANCE IS BLISS :p
    1 person likes this.
  4. it might be for FIRE 1.4.
  5. No, they have explicity said that it is the 90hp diesel Punto Sport which is being used.
  6. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Well, top-gear, have mentioned 0-100kph in 13.5 seconds for the 90hp sport version.
    2 people like this.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    While the Fiat's avaliable here today are indeed slow the braking is among the best I have seen in the segment there are in.

HOWEVER, OD has had a open & brazen anti-Fiat stand from many year's starting from the time they were owned by Tata.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have used a diesel Punto against Petrol competition. Also, their using a 1.6L Petrol Fabia against the 1.2L petrol powered cars again points out to their love for Skoda. Yes, OD's anti-Fiat attitude is as good as their pro-Skoda leaning. Want proof? Read their magazine.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Well I am pretty sure the i20 doesn't have the best braking among the hatchbacks or at least doesn't feel anywhere as good as the punto.
    I have noticed that most of the reviews on Overdrive are biased in some way or the other. I buy a couple of auto magazines and find so much difference in opinion among most magazines, so I wouldn't read to much into what these magazines have to say.
    1 person likes this.
  9. PuntoMJD

PuntoMJD Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No doubt Punto braking is class leading. i have tested Swift,Vista, Etios (both), brio and many more and i confidently saying its best in class. Forget about 0-100 (sec) just test all cars at 150 KM/hr and see the result.
  10. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Don't bother of this report. I always watch SVP ( Siddharth Vinayak Patankar's review) to get correct one. If one is bad he will tell bad, if good he will tell good, No matter what brand/model it is. But always saw him to encourage others always.
    1 person likes this.