1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Intercooler and hose Cleaning

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, May 28, 2012.

1. Folks,

Does cleaning of inter cooler and associated hose pipe have any benefit? ,if yes what intervals needs to be followed?

-Sat
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yes it does, Due to the blow by gases + oil throw in the intake the intercooler and hoses get mugged up with black tar.

I recently cleaned them and the left over was 2 pan full off goo. Make sure you clean it with petrol and not diesel.
    After cleaning multiple times leave the intercooler to dry for 2 hours. Unevaporated petrol causes knocking when you start the engine after refitting.

When you remove the hose pipe the OEM clips wont fit back. You will need new clips. Keep them handly before opening.

let me know if you need further help.

Intervals - Lol this is one big unanswerable question. I did it when my car was just 23k.

I will start one thread that will benefit everyone to keep the goo away from intake and turbo, just give me some time i am too much tied up these days.
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. Thanks Italia-Linea what difference did the cleaning make to the car ?

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Found one detailed step by step approach.
    How To Clean An Intercooler
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune

Wont be able to tell what intercooler cleaning alone did to my car, because i cleaned the whole system right from air intake to EGR.

EGR was clogged, so was intake manifold. I would suggest you to clean everything.

After effect : My linea is now a wild horse , trying to jump leaps and leaps with just a small tap on the gas pedal :)
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    im interested as well... Looking forward to you're thread Italia-linea
  6. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    How EGR valve can also be cleaned like DIY , and i didnt saw intercooler on Punto , must be hidden deep. If anybody Planing do take pics for future reference.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Italia-Linea

So, We can expect another DIY of inter-cooler and EGR valve cleaning soon. Please, post along with pics. which will help others to do the task with ease.

After seeing your instructions I will do my inter cooler and EGR value cleaning.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Italia-Linea
    How difficult is it to remove Intake Manifold from car, are the gaskets available in market or you reused old one. I had cleaned my MAP sensor last month and it was full of black paste on it, had to wash my hands 4-5 times to get rid of it.
    Also share the Dia of the clips needed for plumbing of inter-cooler pipes.
    I had asked the ASS to clean EGR and full intake system completely in last service but they haven't since the old OEM clips are there, thankfully they haven't charged for its labor in service bill.
    Tried disconnecting wires of EGR, error code was stored in ECU but the light on Dash was not activated for 10km I drove after disconnecting it, would have to drive more to see the if the light activates if not it would be super.
    Waiting for your DIY catch can results and guide for further experiments. Don't want to clean all the system without putting a catch can as it would clog again. At-least tell us in how many kms does the catch can becomes full and you have to empty it.
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Hi Vijay, removing EGR and intake manifold is very laborious work and takes entire day. Its made of high quality super finish plastic. You dont need to buy gaskets. The synthetic rubber gasket is reused.

Tass will never spend whole day in such a laborious activity. They are all lazy bums.

Dont drive with EGR valve sensor connection removed. You will get an error after driving 25kms and this error wont go even if you reconnect the sensor for long. Then you would require a scanner to remove error.