1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Insurance Claim... How?

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by dr_shiva29, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I am not in need of it but still wanted to know how to claim insurance for any damage to your vehicle. Is an FIR important or we can still claim the insurance without it.

Sorry if the question is too basic but never got a chance to avail insurance claim for any of my vehicles.

Thanks!
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FIR is not neccessary for minor accidents, repairs.
    I have claimed it couple of times for minor accidents/dents etc. Just to service center, call insurance helpline number and give them the details. SA will ask you to fill a form. If service center has cashless facility with your insurance company, they will take care everything.
    If no cashless, then you have to pay the bill and claim from insurance office.
  3. @ravi: Thanks for the prompt response. From what you mention, it seems it is a hassle free and one-day task. Is it so? Will the insurance company agree to what I tell them over the phone?
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its certainly not 1 day work. At-least 2-3 days work.
    Insurance company will never agree to what you say, they will send their agents to verify the claims.
  5. @Dr. Shiva, I had claimed 75K for an accident caused by Ford Ikon to my earlier car (Indigo) without FIR. FIR is not needed unless, you want to claim on the other parties Insurance or there is a third party claim on your insurance or there is an injury to any one. But to be a safer side, better to call insurance call center folks and confirm this.

This is how it worked for me. I registered the claim and by telling them about how accident took place and then also told that I am taking my car to xxxxxx service station. If car is not in drivable condition then toe it to that service station. At service station, you fill in the form, give photo copies of your driving license, policy document and RC book. Surveyor of insurance company will come within 1-2 days, evaluate the damage, take photos and then generate an order to carry out the work within given limit. During this time, service station need to submit the detailed invoice and take their approval on the same. Here you may call the service station guy to check the parts they are allowed to replace. In case you don't agree with surveyor, you can call him and negotiate about the same. Once the work is done, surveyor will visit again (major work) and check the work carried and then final settlement will take place. In all my cases, it was a cashless settlement.
  6. Can insurance claimed be with a valid Learners License (LLR)... what would the requirements in that case... Can anyone throw some light on this aspect
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    If the person holding the learner's license satisfies the requirements of "Rule 3 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989" then he can claim insurance.
    See the pic below to know what the requirements of this rule are

2.JPG