1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Inputs/suggestions needed on Delhi-Mumbai-Delhi trip route and feasibility

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by speedJet, Oct 7, 2011.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I need following inputs on Delhi-Mumbai-Delhi trip:

1) What is the best route in terms of least time, good average speed, good road-condition, safety?
    2) How much time would it take?
    3) What would be the best time to drive on this route?
    4) Good hotels on the route for me and my wife
    5) What equipment do I need to carry for the trip (say puncture repair trip, fuel, etc)

Some background information:
    a) I have only gone for long drives in the US and absolutely null long driving experience in India. This is going to be my first car in India
    b) The trip is going to be in my Linea TJet+ that I shall be receiving within a weeks time (yes - I hope that I do receive it. The dealer has been dilly dallying and I hope this time I do receive the car)
    c) I plan to start on the weekend before Diwali and shall be back on the weekend after
    d) Flight tickets are proving costlier than fuel
    e) My primary purpose is to reach Bombay use the car there and then come back to Delhi

Some other suggestions that I would like to hear from you folks:
    I) Since the car would have run hardly 100 kms or so, is it advisable to take the car for such a long run. Would it damage the car as it is in run-in?
    II) Is there a risk of any breakdown occuring during the trip since the car has not even run 200 kms and it is not known if there are any niggles in the car? Any precautions/actions I need to take

Inputs awaited from all travel experts (calling J Ravi et all)
  2. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi speedjet,

I am also planning to drive from Greater NOIDA to Mumbai around the same time. I had done this route with my son-in-law a few months back.

The road till Jaipur is just average. It will help if you start early. However, be prepared for 'anarchy' at the Gurgaon toll. Just short of Jaipur, you have to take a left fork to catch the Jaipur by-pass. Once you are on it the road is very good (4 lane).
    Just short of Ajmer, once again take the left fork which goes on to Nasirabad-Bhilwara-Chitaurgarh (NH-79). This road is also very good (4 lane)with not much traffic. Only problem is that there are not very many eating joints on the way. This road will take you to Udaipur. Avoid NH-8 which has more traffic, and is not too good.

As you hit Udaipur, turn left for the byepass. This is a two lane with fair amount of traffic. You will finally hit NH-8 which goes on to Mumbai. You could plan a halt at Ahmadabad which is about 850 kms from Delhi.

Plan to start early from Ahmedabad. The road is good except for a bottleneck near Surat. Towards Mumbai, the highway is under repairs, and you will have to take the side roads. However, these are short stretches and are OK. Plenty of eating places on this stretch. Once in Mumbai be prepared for B2B traffic. The distance on this leg is around 500 kms.

There are a lot of toll booths on the way, and be prepared to shell out around 1000/= as toll. Since your car is new you may like to restrict the speed to 80 to 90. You could check this with the dealer. I was advised to maintain this speed band for the first 2000 kms. Mine is a Punto MJD.

One small point: get a yellow coloured sticker/insulation tape put on the right edge of your your right headlight. If you dont have this the Gujarat cops will challan you. This is meant to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

On the whole this is about the better long drives you can do. Drive safe & have fun. PM me if you have any further doubts.

Regards
    Johnny
  3. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @johnny, what is that yellow sticker thing you mentioned about gujarat cops?? Havent herd of any such kinda rule till today. Atleast not here in maharashtra.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @tron

Johny sir has already given the reason :

"This is meant to avoid blinding oncoming traffic" Wish this rule was introduced in all states.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Johny

Thanks for the information. That was really helpful. A few more questions:

- What is the minimum amount of time that it would take? Going by the halts suggested, it appears that it would take atleast 2 days for one way travel
    - By starting early do you mean something like 7 AM or still earlier?
    - Is it necessary to take the Jaipur route. I had been to Jaipur in the first week of September and the road is pathetic, especially for the journey back to Delhi

I shall PM you for more details
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, speedJet, for including me in the list of travel experts!:D I did Chandigarh to Surat leaving Chandigarh at 2 pm and reached Ginger, Surat at 4 pm the next day including breaks for 2 lunches, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, 4 re-fuelling stops, power nap for 45 minutes and one-hour traffic jam at Narmada bridge near Bharuch. I took NH 8/4 via Delhi>Gurgaon>Jaipur>Kishangarh>Bhilwara>Chittorgarh>Udaipur>Ahmedabad>Vadodara. The roads on this route are good except some stretches like Udaipur bypass. Don't even consider other routes via Agra because many of the roads in north India were spoiled because of monsoon. All along the route, there are eateries/petrol pumps on both the sides of NH 8/4. Nothing to worry. In Ahmedabad, take Sardar Patel Ring Road to reach Ahmedabad-Vadodara Expressway [NE1]. Surat-Mumbai was also good 6 lane road except the work was in progress near Mumbai.
    At the Y-junction, take right to drive on the Jaipur bypass. the left goes to Jaipur city.
    I crossed Delhi in the evening peak hour, but I didn't face any traffic jam, except slow-moving traffic at some junction. I drove through Ring Road>Dhaula Kuan>Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway. I didn't find the road very bad. They patched up the potholes caused due to recent torrential rains.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Speedjet,

Just to add to the inputs from Ravi.

By start early I meant 4/430 AM. The first leg takes about 14 hrs depending upon stops etc. So, the later you start, the later you will reach. Also in the early hrs the congestion till Manesar is much less. So, this is a matter of personal choice. For the second leg I will definitely recommend an early start specially keeping in mind the bottleneck near Surat. I understand that it gets quite bad as the day progresses.

I do not think that there are any other viable route options than via Jaipur. The other options are far worse.

@Ravi,

I had done this route a few months back. I am reasonably sure that the by-pass is a shallow LEFT turn from the NH. The sign does not say 'by-pass' (Cannot remember what it says). This road immediately crosses OVER the NH and turns to the right.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Ravi and Johny - thanks for your responses

How much time does the second leg (Ahmedabad/Surat to Bombay take)?
    is it recommended to go on till Surat in the first leg?
    is it foolish to think that Delhi to Bombay can be covered in one leg taking multiple small breaks
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    When I could do Chandigarh-Surat [1474 km] in one lap, Delhi-Mumbai [1443 km] can also be done.:)
    I drove on Jaipur NH 8 bypass on 24 September 2011 night. I am 100% sure that Jaipur city was on the left of the bypass, while driving from Delhi towards Kishangarh. Please check the MapMyIndia map link I gave in my post.:)
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Ravi thanks

Is Gps amandatory requirement for the trip? What other equipment is necessary?