1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Initial Speed limit on TJet Plus ?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by acechip, Jan 2, 2012.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

While taking delivery of the TJet Plus , the Dealer mentioned that for the first 1000km, one should not exceed 70kph or so..

Wanted to know if this is really so sacrosanct? I fully understand run-in etc, but 70kph?? and on a TJet?

Wanted advice from fellowJetsetters-thanks!
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Rather than any sort of speed limit, the rpm limit is more important.

Other than not redlining it, just drive the Jet like you would drive any car. Avoid sudden acceleration and lugging and you should be fine.

When the engine has a couple thousand km's on the clock, you can start freeing it up more and more, gradually. Gradually is the key word.

AND, take good care of the turbo.

Cheers.
  3. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    If you read the manual, it says no run-in is required, the reason as some say is that the engines have already run several thousand(?) kms during testing. Other experts advise caution.
    I personally exercised some caution and ensured that the rpm does not cross 2.5k in the first 1000km -that implies a maximum speed of around 100kmph in 5th gear. I would suggest you do the same. The key thing to keep tabs on is the rpm, not the speed. Also, would advise you desist from sharp acceleration during the period.

Also, am appending some tips I had received from senior members (credit VP & gurjinder) for my TJet's run-in:

"
    Once the car crosses 800 to 1000 kms, give her small bouts of high speed/ RPM. Take her out on highway where you can give her high speed doses of 100 - 120 kms. Be gradual while giving throttle input; do not floor it, but show the engine some revs. And do not stay on high revs. Let the engine feel the high revs and then back off gradually.
    These new engines are meant to be driven almost normally. Just do not rip (floor) them, that's all. You'll reap the benefits later.

For bedding in the brakes, choose an empty road and after reaching 100-120kmph, apply sudden brakes. Brake only that much hard that you don't :
    1.lock the brakes
    2.activate the ABS
    3.bring the car to a complete halt

And its generally done in two sets of 4-5 stops each time, without letting the car come to a halt in b/w the two sets

"

Mods: :eek:fftopic Can we compile such tips for each car every now and then in a view only thread/post for each car? It can be organised sort of like a book, with attached comments containing suggested changes which can be compiled & cleaned periodically. Come to think of it, such queries would also go in the same section in the suggestions thread?
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The outlined technique for bedding the brakes in is indeed quite popular. But ours being normal family cars , we'll be equally better off if we follow certain good practices during the initial 500-1000km's. Like avoiding sudden and hard braking (unless it's an emergency) for the first 500-1000 km's. Anticipating braking points and braking in advance is also another good practice. And so on.

I myself followed this routine and the brakes went on to have excellent bite and feel. The rotors also look nicely bedded in and even.

Cheers.

P.S. We have absolutely no precise way of gauging how a particular engine should be run in, unless we know a load of data about it. The best we can do is follow certain good practices,which hold true for almost all engines.
  5. acechip

acechip Superiore

Based on your replies, I will do one thing imm: set the speed buzzer to around 95kph..The thing is, I am not used to seeing the RPM on RHS, coming from the MSIL school, where you have RPM on the LHS..so it takes a while to notice the RPM in the Linea..and the fact that the RPM dials are as large as the speed dials and calibrated in 2 digits..(seems to be another of Fiatisms)
  6. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I have never bothered about running in engines and they have all seen lakhs of kms.

More important isd to get the engine up to temperature and going for a long run 200 - 300kms.

Also stick to the recommended oil. There is a reason for it.

Bedding in brakes is a different story all together. Bedding in depends on the brake pad compound. The manufacturer gives usually description how to do it correctly.

Most of the pads should be bedded in softly as otherwise hot spots will occur that lower braking efficiency considerably. A new pad has got no more than 35% contact area!
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Linea TJetPlus Run-In

All, did about 800 km on my Linea TJet Plus..felt like stretching her legs and stirring up those horses,..so went for a 180km trip..averaged 100kph on the Pune Eway..the RPM hovered around 2000-2500 mark..and did a few twisties all the way up to Amby Valley ..Got an average Trip FE of 16.1 km/l..not bad huh? I took care not to exceed the 2500 RPM mark in general..Note-I am getting around 12km/l in the city ... But overall, I was quite impressed with the drive quality..especially in the twisties ..the car feels like it's a glued to the tarmac..steering was just spot on..On the Eway, depending on the road surface, there was some slight choppiness, but much better damped compared to my earlier DZire with its 165/R14s..
    I am running the stock Good Year NCT5s..

The car really feels like its at home on the highways..
    2 people like this.
  8. 16.1 is excellent. RPM range of 2000~2500 and an average speed of 100kph :confused:. You might have had some really empty roads. Its the bends where the Fiats excell and you enjoy driving them. The confidence it gives is just unbelievable. I still cannot forget the the drive on the Pune-Bombai expressway where my better half was at the wheel :D. Man, she was on the limits.

NCT5 is not one of the best tyres but use them for now. After they wear off, look at other alternatives which are more silent than these. Depending upon your driving style you can then choose the tyre makes.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

What are the other tyres recommended for TJet Plus ? Havent seen much discussion on this.
  10. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    There is no particular tyre recommendation. Choose what suits your roads and driving style better.

I prefer Michelins (Primacy LC is what I have got) as they are soft, silent, grippy and comfort oriented.

You could look at Yoko dB or Continental CPC2 for a more sportier feel.