1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Indicator knob - Anyone noticed?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mightymaveryk, Dec 12, 2012.

1. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When I took my friend with me he told that the indicator knob will come to position only for one side (left indicator/right indicator).

I told him that it will come to its position once the car is turned and that is not specific with the direction you are putting the indicator.

But I noticed that if the steering is turned only half the indicator knob comes to its off position. Otherwise I need to switch the indicator off.

Only a few times only the full turn of steering (while taking U turns) the indicator knob comes to off position.

Anyone noticed this behavior?
  2. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Senthil, The indicator stack will work the same for both the directions. It will return to nomal position once the turn is completed.
    However, what you are talking seems to be like a curve and not a turn, any turn where the steering wheel rotates atleast by 90degrees and then to normal will return the indicator stalk to its normal position (like a right turn, left turn or U turn). In short the steerin wheel need to have enough rotation in return direction to be able to counter the indicator stack to normal position.
    This is my understanding of how it works.
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When I do a left turn, I just curve/arc it to the left so my steering will be rotated only half from horizontal to vertical (90 degree) and the stack comes to normal. When it is 180 degree, a full U turn, the stack still not coming to the normal position and the indicator I need to off. I know that the latch behind the stack should be locked properly with the steering turn and so the latch will be automatically released by the steering column or whatsoever the pinion wheels behind the steering column.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There could be some problem with the stack. In my case, the the indicator is turned off as soon as the steering is back to straight position again. Sometimes it demands turning another 5 degrees or so to the opposite direction for the indicator to turn off.