1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

India's Unexplored Islands

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Folks,

Any one know which of these islands are open for tourism, i am surprised to see so many Islands to near to Indian MainLand has potential to attract tourists from all over. Other one I can think of is Netrani.

Coral_islands.JPG

-Sat
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think except Krusadai island, nothing is tourist attraction. Actually a few islands are in government's hand over the research on bio-diversity.

One or two comes near the international waters/near srilankan waters so you may be not allowed by the coast guards to go there except you have strong recommendations.

Actually if Kacchatheevu is not given to Sri Lanka by Indhra Gandhi government, then it would be a huge tourist attraction.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Man had these islands been in the hands of some other country they would have been developed to attract tourist,just imagine staying a night there in the midst of the Indian ocean.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I don't know whether these small islands and left are Lakshadweep.
    These mall islands have some recent history too
    The inhabitants of these islands, remote from the mainland of India, heard the final news of the Partition and Independence of India some days after it occurred on 15 August 1947. As the islands were then British possessions and part of the Madras Presidency, in accordance with the Indian Independence Act 1947, enacted by the British parliament a month before, the islands transferred automatically to the new Union of India. However, considering that they also had a Muslim majority, it seemed possible that the new dominion of Pakistan might seek to lay claim to them. On the orders of Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India, known as the Iron Man, a ship of the Royal Indian Navy was sent to the Laccadives (as they were then called) to hoist the Indian national flag and ensure the islands' integration into the new Union of India, aiming to thwart any similar attempt by Pakistan. Hours after the arrival of the Indian ship, vessels of the Royal Pakistan Navy were seen near the islands, but after observing the Indian presence they returned to Karachi.[12]
    Lakshadweep.JPG

Netrani already attracting adventure tourism.in the map it seen close to Murudeshwarea.
    Netrani.JPG
    1 person likes this.
  4. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The coral reefs I told in your travel advise thread you remember? The government allows to grow the plant from which the jelly (the flavored sweet jelly we eat are made from these plants) is prepared. These plants actually the killer of the coral reefs. The government charges to visit the coral reef in boat and they launder money from the people who are growing the plant in the sea. So how you can expect the government to make these islands without laundering money. May be they expect some large hotel chains to contact the government with money to make these islands a tourist attractions.

And yes they are the Lakshadweep islands.
  5. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    May be OT, but any ways. Just do not think about making humans happy. We do need to conserve bio-diversity. Many such islands are reserved as Wildlife preservations by the Aussie govt. So its better such places are left un-touched.

Remember, humans always are destroyers!
  7. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But zen, you read my previous post in this thread. This gives a view of how Indian government saves/conserves bio-diversity.
  8. I do agree we need to conserve the eco system, but how ever hard we try nature it self is ever changing.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I came across two wonderful travelogues

Netrani

Lakshadweep
  9. How many of TFI'en in Mumbai know about this island?
    Cross Island is an uninhabited island located in Mumbai harbour, India, between the coast at Dockyard Road, and Elephanta Island. The island is host to an oil refinery and several large gas holders.

Coordinates: 18°57′N 72°51′E

Cross Island, bearing the ruins of a fort is located about 400 m from Ferry Wharf on the east coast of Mumbai. The island is locally known as Chinal Tekdi.

It is sparsely inhabited by fisher folk although it seems to have no natural source of fresh water. At the base of the fort, some brick and mortar construction lies in dilapidated condition. It is obviously more recent as compared to the fort and seems to have been deserted by the occupants for unknown reasons. While there is no guided tour or regular transport available to reach the island, it is possible to get such a service from local fishermen around ferry wharf for about Rs. 1000 for a 6 seater boat.

The fort occupies almost the entire island and was perhaps built by the Portuguese or the British settlers. There are several cannons strewed across the fort which includes one very large gun. The top of the fort is much like a mound with one solitary large Ficus (Peepal) tree. From here one can see a unique and spectacular view of the Mumbai's Harbor precinct in the foreground and major buildings in the south end of the city in the background.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Here is the information on island that existed for few years before vanishing in year 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Moore_/_South_Talpatti
    2 people like this.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    i have been here and i must say the water here is crystal clear!! will post the pictures sometime later. theres no sand on the beach but its filled with sea shells of all sizes. Its off Malpe town near Udupi in karnataka.
    There is no provision for night stay on the island. people go there on boats spend some time and come back.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013