1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

India's ties with Italy may worsen

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Right, but Fiat won't be discussed in the off-topic sections. :)
    1 person likes this.
  2. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    This whole issue is a smelly one. First, the firing. It is clear that the case against the marines for homicide was withdrawn after blood money was paid to the families of the slain fishermen. After the case was withdrawn, marines were free to go home. However, SC of India took a suo moto cognisance of the issue and ruled that an incident that has international ramifications can't be adjudicated by lower courts.

Seeing this from Italian point of view, it is outrageous. Which country will like another country's court to get involved in a issue that has "international ramifications". So the Italian foreign makes a statement saying that India's attitude has not been consistent with international justice system. To be fair, he is right. But, once thay had deposed faith in the Indian judicial system, they should have taken steps to abide by it and not antagonise it.

Let me put my conspiracy theory to it. To neutralise the Indian leverage, the chopper deal (Agusta - Westland) investigation was made public. Now the complicit Indians had to take steps to make sure Italians were sent home. So they were sent home for "voting". Now we won't hear much about the chopper deal investigation from the Italian side.

As far as diplomatic brouhaha by India goes, well, there will be some noise made for a few days and then this matter will die its natural death.
    1 person likes this.
  3. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    We have lived without them in Past and we can do the same even today, Let me pose a simple question, given that "FIAT offers you a lakh discount but on the day of delivery, they abuse your family and country, would you still go ahead and take the delivery :)

As simple as that, but I'm sure we are not politically strong enough to take those decisions and Italy knows it very well, else they would never have had the courage of doing such an insult at the very first place.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I dont think this is the case. It is true that they were ready to pay the money and the affected families were willing to withdraw the case filed in court accepting blood money. If I remember corectly, the court ruled against out-of-court settlement stating that it will create a wrong precedence and will send wrong signals about the judicial system.
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Well, money was paid indeed and SC took a suo moto cognisance. Here is a link: Italy's compromise with kin of killed fishermen illegal, says Supreme Court - The Hindu
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    1 person likes this.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Aren't Domino's Pizza and Pizza Hut American companies?

Or are we trying to say that we should eliminate all Italian things from India? In that case, there are many Indian owned company's (Smokin Joe's for example) that sell pizza's and pasta's too. Also, what about Italian company's in other industries? Leather is a big industry - Franco Leone , Alberto Torresi shoes, also home decor companies are there. Point is, Fiat is not the only Italian company in India :).

In case we decide to eliminate all Italian things out of India then the congress party will become an orphan :). BUT, I would buy first class ticket's from Mumbai to Rome for Ms. Sonia Gandhi & Vadra family with my own money!
    5 people like this.
  8. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Government disputes rarely affect trade relations as business finds a way... unless tax barriers are imposed. If unfair practices are imposed by either government, then they can be challenged internationally.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Marines coming back

India assures Italy there will be no death penalty for the duo

The Italian government has said it will return to India two marines facing murder charges in the shooting deaths of two fishermen off the Kerala coast.

Full news - Marines coming back to face trial in India
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Apart from the no death penalty part, some newspapers are also reporting that the Indian government has assured that they will not be arrested on their return. They will be allowed to stay in the Italian embassy while the trial is on and they will complete the imprisionment sentence in Italy!