1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

India's ties with Italy may worsen

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Marines won’t return to India for trial, says Italy

Italy on Monday refused to return two of its marines being tried in India for killing two fishermen while on duty aboard a merchant ship. The move caught India by surprise as the marines had been let off once before and had returned.

The Foreign Office said it was examining the communication received late in the night from Rome but sources said this step would worsen ties already under strain.

Italy took refuge in the technicalities of an international law in declining to send back the marines. Their detention in India had become a political issue in the recently held Italian elections and was held out as a sign of weakness against then Prime Minister Mario Monty whose party fared badly.

Full news - The Hindu

This news today has put me into surprise. I don't know about the implications in store and whether it would affect Fiat's plan for India too. My personal take - It is another example of failure of India's foreign policy. Never ever I have heard that murder convicts were left on bail so easily and that too allowed to travel out of India. Rather than blaming Italy, I would say that it is a failure of diplomacy and foreign policy of India.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. You are right, what was need for releasing the prisoners?
    It looks like well chalked out plan.India being a soft state will keep quite.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

What a poor political move by Italy - a country which is teetering between collapse and survival.

I hope India pursues this case at an appropriate International forum. Those two smirky fellows deserve to be brought to justice.
    4 people like this.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Absolutely. Looks to be a well planned. Earlier in december 2012, these marines were allowed to travel to Italy to celebrate Xmas with family. This "NoShow" was expected that time itself. But they came back surprising many, may be to create a clean record for future bails/paroles.

Wondering how many indians will serving in foreign prisons. Will govt ever start a diplomatic discussion to get them bail to celebrate Xmas/holy/pongal or whatever?
    3 people like this.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Seems like this may trigger another political unrest especially in the state of Kerala . Hope this fishermen doesn't start a campaign against using any Italian items :uh
    2 people like this.
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Let us not intentionally belittle us. This issue was fairly politicized in Italy. There were even reports that shops and establishments owned by Indians were targeted because these fellows were detained in Kerala.

Then again, Italy is a hopeless place i guess. I get reminded of two things when i hear Italy.

• During the last Euro Cup, i was following the match on Twitter and Someone who was visiting italy Tweeted this - "power has gone thrice now, wonder if i am in a 3rd world country or not". Pretty screwed up i guess.
    • And they had a P.M who did this :shocked
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. thyagu2_2006

This all was expected. Voting can be done through postal ballets it was not the reason enough to send them back. Top Indian power holders are hand in gloves with the Italians.
  8. Will Indian govt as FIAT to packup?
  9. fernandeskaran

fernandeskaran Amatore

Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Mumbai Suburban
    Linea 1.3
    Hahahaha *in lighter moments* if that ever happens it will surely mean war initiated by us Tfians against the government :D

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Nothing will happen. The TV channels led by TIMESNOW will have something to grind for two days and depending on new breaking news availability, this episode will go into the cellar and once again life will be normal and FIAT multijets will continue to power the cars in India. I am sure some good financial bribe will be offered to the fishermens family that they will be tempted to shut up.

3 people like this.