1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Indian Taxis - Review

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by dj.nish, Feb 10, 2013.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I recently tried Ola Cabs in Delhi and was mighty impressed. I had to go to station at 5 am and was expecting a cab (Meru/Easy) to be either not available (when you book via the call center) or not turn up on time (in case I success in booking). This has been my experience with Meru and Easy Cabs in MUmbai many times and once with Tab Cab too.

None of this happened. Cab was before time, driver was super courteous. Car was a Dzire and hence very comfortable. It was clean and heated (imagine Delhi winter morning on Jan 24). Some USPs and noteworthy points:

1. There was no physical meter. Every car has an Android phone with an Ola app connected via GPS that has a large visual meter. This means accurate billing and real time availability status.

2. There are no night charges! The per km charges are Rs 21 + Rs 2 per min of waiting. So for my distance of 12.8 kms, I paid a total of Rs 272 (inclusive of 2 minutes of waiting) which is much less than my local neighborhood cab guy's flat rate of Rs 350

3. Grace period of 15 mins from the time the driver reaches your pick up point (starting from the point he calls you). This is validated by a call that comes from their centralized call center in Mumbai informing you that cab has arrived.

4. No wastage of paper on bill printing. Instead, there is an instant SMS that comes as soon as the driver clicks on STOP button on the phone, marking the journey completion. What's best - a detailed invoice (PDF) is sent immediately on your registered EMail ID. So no more storing of small printouts for claiming reimbursements. And the PDF is pretty detailed

5. Ola regularly runs discount schemes. For example, they have a code 'HAPPYOLA' which you can announce at the time of booking via call center, to avail of a flat rate of Rs 15/km if availing a cab between 11-4 AM or PM. There is another code 'AIRPORT399' using which you can get airport drop in Delhi/NCR for flat Rs 399. These are truly innovative measures!

6. Ola has recently launched point-to-point service in Gurgaon for Rs 99 (against the standard rate of Rs 250 being charged by the unorganized and rickety Indica cabs)

7. There is an Android app which works on cell tower triangulation method (A-GPS) and you can click on 'Pick me up' to instantly locate an Ola Cab near your current location. You DON'T need the GPS activated! It will tell you how far the cab is and how long it will take to reach you. It bypasses the call center and directly books the cab for you. An SMS is sent to you containing the car number, model and driver's name and mobile no. Cool na?

I guess these are really revolutionary features and I'm sure Ola has me hooked on as a repeat customer!
    6 people like this.
  2. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Nice one. Expecting a similar service here in Chennai.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi tech cab service...... that's really needed in india.....:)
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Can you share contact details - it would be useful. Taking a cab in Delhi normally drills a hole in the pocket and this seems to be a good option
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I am just checking out their features in internet. Seems they are also offering free education up to 1 year for their drivers. They are being nice to the society. Thank you for sharing.
  7. Olacabs rocking.... Yesterday I booked taxi in Bangalore with Olacabs. I got a call from driver 15 prior.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Interesting features. I remember my wife developing a similar application for a Tow Truck company in UK a few years back. There are a whole lot of features possible using smartphones with GPS. Accurate tracking of all cabs, accurate billing and prompt and efficient service are all possible using this.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Very true. With OLA cabs, you get an SMS when the cab starts from pick up point, when it reaches destination, and then another mentioning the bill. The driver has no control over the bill. All he needs to do is click "Started" and "Reached" on the GPS device.
  10. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    I have been regularly using OLA( Bangalore) for my airport drops as well as city pick and drops..Truly they stand out in terms of quality, punctuality and ease of use.

It is absolutely stress free for the passengers :)