1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

India Car Scene

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Surya, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Every 6 out of 10 cars in India are sold on the blind spot, most people never bother or think much when it comes to what's inside the hood, except for the small group who really care what it makes for a car. People usually look for mileage (kitna dethi hai), price, social appeal and neighbors envy owners pride factor. Also the fact that most of them are generally a huge success in the international markets. Also for a market like India by the time a new model is tested for its success the manufacturer would have sold some thousands or lakhs of units. There are few questions which prop up for a debate on the indian car scene as is today:

1. What comes to your mind when it comes to automobiles in India?
    2. What is the average value of understanding of a car for a common man in India?
    3. How aware or informed the people are about the cars in India?
    4. How do people perceive a car in their minds when it comes to choosing a car in India ?
    5. The Indian roads how good is the Infrastructure to justify the growth?
    6. How is the understanding of traffic rules in India, how often do you break traffic rules and how serious are you about traffic rules in India?
    7. what should be the minimum qualification of the applicant of a valid vehicle driver in India?
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    India Automative Industry growth

The automotive industry in India is one of the largest in the world and one of the fastest growing globally. India's passenger car and commercial vehicle manufacturing industry is the sixth largest in the world, with an annual production of more than 3.9 million units in 2011. According to recent reports, India overtook Brazil and became the sixth largest passenger vehicle producer in the world (beating such old and new auto makers as Belgium, United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Mexico, Russia, Spain, France, Brazil), growing 16 to 18 per cent to sell around three million units in the course of 2011-12. In 2009, India emerged as Asia's fourth largest exporter of passenger cars, behind Japan, South Korea, and Thailand. In 2010, India beat Thailand to become Asia's third largest exporter of passenger cars.

As of 2010, India is home to 40 million passenger vehicles. More than 3.7 million automotive vehicles were produced in India in 2010 (an increase of 33.9%), making the country the second (after China) fastest growing automobile market in the world. According to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers, annual vehicle sales are projected to increase to 5 million by 2015 and more than 9 million by 2020.[6] By 2050, the country is expected to top the world in car volumes with approximately 611 million vehicles on the nation's roads.

The majority of India's car manufacturing industry is based around three clusters in the south, west and north. The southern cluster consisting of Chennai is the biggest with 35% of the revenue share. The western hub near Mumbai and Pune contributes to 33% of the market and the northern cluster around the National Capital Region contributes 32%.[8] Chennai, is also referred to as the "Detroit of India" with the India operations of Ford, Hyundai, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, BMW, Hindustan Motors, Daimler, Caparo, and PSA Peugeot Citroën is about to begin their operations by 2014. Chennai accounts for 60% of the country's automotive exports.[10] Gurgaon and Manesar in Haryana form the northern cluster where the country's largest car manufacturer, Maruti Suzuki, is based. The Chakan corridor near Pune, Maharashtra is the western cluster with companies like General Motors, Volkswagen, Skoda, Mahindra and Mahindra, Tata Motors, Mercedes Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar Cars, Fiat and Force Motors having assembly plants in the area. Aurangabad with Audi, Skoda and Volkswagen also forms part of the western cluster. Another emerging cluster is in the state of Gujarat with manufacturing facility of General Motors in Halol and further planned for Tata Nano at their plant in Sanand. Ford, Maruti Suzuki and Peugeot-Citroen plants are also set to come up in Gujarat. Kolkata with Hindustan Motors, Noida with Honda and Bangalore with Toyota are some of the other automotive manufacturing regions around the country.
    1 person likes this.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One more thing people look before buying and owning the car is the re-sale value! Even, before owing they think of how good is the re-sales value of this car.
    3 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    toooo damn expensive , no car in india today is VFM

4/10

Not much, The very fact that people still say Fiat is using Maruthi's engine block would go a long way in judging the current state of affairs :D

Point A to Point B, "Kita dethi hai" ??

Its definitely improving at least in many metropolitans .. I've traveled to the tip of india and till the TIP the roads have been made navigable so its a matter of time and pressure before things will start falling into place.

Understanding 100%, Implementation 10% :).
    I break the law about 3/10 times

Hard to say but i feel 18 is ok..
    3 people like this.
  5. 1. What comes to your mind when it comes to automobiles in India?

Not much of good car alternatives present to choose from.

2. What is the average value of understanding of a car for a common man in India?

5/10

Not much, people here in India are not much aware of the cars they own. For example, I have seen many who doesn't even know their cars Engine cc & Hp. They only know about the cars that are present in India, example Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X for Rs 55 lacs.. What's the point better buy a Audi or BMW. Stories are endless.

4. How do people perceive a car in their minds when it comes to choosing a car in India ?

Starts with Good milage - good resale value - low maintanence cost - looks that's it...performance & driving dynamics not considered.

Improved a lot but has to keep on improving to come up with the standards.

6. How is the understanding of traffic rules in India, how often do you break traffic rules and how serious are you about traffic rules in India?

100%, implementation only 20-30%
    Sometimes even I break traffic rules.

7. what should be the minimum qualification of the applicant of a valid vehicle driver in India?

I think 18 years of age is acceptable but the driving tests taken by the concerned authorities should be checked strictly. People should not be allowed to get driving license by giving bribe.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Well, what comes to my mind is - While in school I felt there are so many options like so many models from Maruti , Padmini, Amby, Lancer (always wanted to have one!) may be the exposure was not much but I did think we had so many models. Back in college, many more models and makes added to the list and City was at the top, of course Mercs and Bimmers started growing in numbers and so did other imported cars and spotting one used to be so exciting. Now I feel we have come a long way so much so that an Audi is a common sight leave alone Merc or a Bimmer. And there are other marquee brands setting up sales in India - makes me think we are already there! I believe that our country has at least one car of every make and model that has been produced in the 21st century across the world and which claims to be the fastest or the costliest. We are spoilt for choice when it comes to cars and I would say it is the earning potential of the individuals and ability to afford one which makes a difference here.

I cant rate myself on this one leave alone others.

This is purely driven by passion and the amount of exposure one gets. This creates a huge difference/knowledge gap in a rural and an urban Indian consumer for the kind of exposure they get. There lies tremendous potential.

AFAIK due to lack of understanding and a tinge of conservatism, people here try to go by what is tried an tested and more the numbers more is the confidence inspired and results are pretty evident. When cars with sub par interiors and not upto the mark safety and apt pricing have been selling so many in number (the road conditions also play a role here, not allowing to drive faster), imagine what better cars can do (Idealism)!

We have come a long way here! The Golden Quadrilateral, Mumbai-Pune expressway, Yamuna expressway and other expressways are a dream come true and we are not far from a day when all the national highways will start looking like expressways and all the city roads will be pot-hole free. Now that the conditions have drastically improved, people will start wanting to have better cars. Well Surya, here you are asking about justifying the growth and your first question asks about the automobile scene - I feel and even you do, we have indeed grown !

Well, I am not sure how many agree with me here, this depends to an extent on the type of vehicle one is driving. In my case I feel I have become far more responsible towards traffic rules (follow rules strictly) after I started driving a car from how I used to be when I used to ride a bike.

I believe driving expertise does not come with qualification. The same qualification which makes you eligible to vote makes you eligible to do anything, driving included :)
  7. 1. Frankly, I think of crowded roads, honking and blocks when I think of automobiles in India.

2. Common man is never bothered about understanding a car, or its service. Mostly they buy a car and give it for service, and take it back sometimes knowing that maybe the service guys haven't done much. But usually people are never too bothered about what happens.

3. I think people are informed about the brands, the cars they make, the prices etc. They know almost all the brands, but when they plan to buy one, the keyword is Maruti, still.

4. People usually try to perceive a car by its price, mileage, and importantly, they try to look at it through the eyes of a neighbour or a relative. They think a car causes envy in others' minds, but in fact, this is not the case.

5. There are good roads in India, but more than wider and smoother roads, what we need is a good system - where people by themselves drive safely, following rules, and implementation of rules by officials - like left side overtaking for example.

6. Very few are serious about traffic rules. Maybe 6-7%. But even half of that section are forced to drive against rules, due to the high disregard for rules shown by others on the road. The rest, who are really serious about rules, and abide by them, usually get to work late, and work in the office after availing of a leave, reach home late, and get it from their wives or husbands, and all this after listening to nasty words from other drivers on road.

7. I think educational qualification must be there, one should be able to read signposts and signals, instructions on the roads etc. Plus good on-road behaviour - but how to assess this? As per age, I think 18 is fair.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    But, where are the signs on all Indian Roads?

If an improvement is needed, it has to be a complete system overhaul. Right from licensing, Dept. of highways, local administration, Police force and the general public. Everyone should be responsible to the roads safe to drive.
  9. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun

It’s a booming market having space for each player. Still need to develop a lot of road network. More than that people need to be educated about traffic rules & disciplines on road.

I think its 4/10.

I think people read online reviews & other stuff before buying.

4. How do people perceive a car in their minds when it comes to choosing a car in India?

Most people decide car by fuel. Is it petrol or diesel (Kitna deti hai)
    Before buying they think about cars resale value (You never do this while buying a TV, fridge or whatever)

My observation is-
    1) If you have Rs 10 lakh in pocket but big mind & small heart- get Honda city (Status symbol)
    2) If you wanna show off with Rs 10 lakh in pocket, big heart & small mind- get Hyundai Verna
    3) If you wanna show off but don’t have Rs 10 lakh- Suzuki Swift or Hyunadai-i20
    4) If you are practical thinker, VFM guy- Suzuki Wagon-R
    5) If You just need a 4 wheel for day to day life- Suzuki Alto, Santro, Nano etc
    6) You are confused to get a car or taxi- Tata Indica Doesn’t matter Vista or what)
    7) If you Listen to your heart & follow your mind- FIAT Linea or Punto

5. The Indian roads how good are the Infrastructure to justify the growth?
    Too less roads for too many cars. I am scared what will happen in next 10years.

What is traffic rule???? I travelled couple of times with westerns in Chennai & they are so shocked to see how people drive on roads but this is how we drive & proud of breaking law whenever we get chance. I try my best to follow rules, but sometimes I too break rules. Sometimes I feel like stupid if I don’t break rule ie standing alone on red light & others overtake me while honking. Thanks to Linea, it keeps beeping to remind me put seatbelt which is now in my habit. Also over speed limit buzzer
    7. What should be the minimum qualification of the applicant of a valid vehicle driver in India?
    18yrs
    4 people like this.
  10. dharmesh

dharmesh

mumbai
    Whenever I think about automobiles in India, 2 things come to my mind is Traffic and road full of potholes.

People thinking of resale value even before buying the vehicle. and always feel laughing and compare to the situation where "a person thinks of compensation in case divorce even before getting married." :evilsmile.

When I bought Punto, One of relative informed my dad that resale value of FIAT car is low, why din't he buy Hyundai or Maruti. In return my dad asked me the same and my answer was. I love my car and I have bought my car to enjoy it and drive not for sell it sooner.
    3 people like this.