1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Incorrect placement of Jack. Any damages to the underside?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Rituraj, Apr 16, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hope you're fine.

Jack placement is a big factor. I've used the Linea jack on both the Linea and Palio and it's been fine. Although once it did start to slip away - due to my placement error. It was not resting completely flat.

Are you sure the jack was completely flat AFTER the car was raised up? The car body does tend to wiggle when you raise it - thereby moving the jack ever so slightly.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Always good habit to keep the spare wheel below the running board before removing the wheel.
    I had a nightmare on NH9 a midnight when the jack got bent,slipped and got stuck.
    I have done a walk around in near by village to find the jack... will never forget the day,villagers helped me lot.Finally ended up by using a truck jack.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Jack is different on initial batch and new cars?
    I didn't know that.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes Ravi. The initial batches had imported ones from Brazil. They weigh a lot heavier. Sham (theblack) can confirm this. :D
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Mine is made in Brazil. I used it for the first time last week.

55156d1384410706-foreign-components-fiat-jack.jpg
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

1 person likes this.
  7. balavj27

balavj27 Timido

Chennai
    Hi Fiatians,

An unfortunate thing happened to my Punto underbody. Due to mishandling by puncture repair guys, got a big rectangular hole(some rectangular 2"*2" plate/cover would have been there. Driver side side panel underbody just below that arrow mark) in the jack location and that location is crushed exposing wires. The location is just below the driver door, underbody jack location(m"ay be side skirt/body panel).
    Please help guys. Is it possible to repair this without disturbing the wires? Will it require the side entire body panel to be changed?:(
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday while changing my rear left punctured tyre, I mounted innova's hydraulic jack instead of punto's stock jack. Result: Ended up damaging underbody. Fortunately not major or alarming. Just a small dent. Fortunate that nothing major has occurred to the underbelly.
  9. carl_jhonson

carl_jhonson Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I have to change rear left wheel. This being the first time, not sure where to place the scissor Jack. I see the small triangle marking and a black metal strip beneath it. The manual only has a black and white pic and it's not clear. If someone can post a color pic, it will be very helpful :happy:
  10. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @carl_jhonson You can feel a running metal protrusion by you hand. Just place jack underneath. Lie down. Forget getting dust on your t shirt. Just lie down and understand to place the jack properly. It is better to understand on your own for future works too. Keep the manual open for any doubts. There are many cases body damages due to wrong jack placement.