1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Incorrect placement of Jack. Any damages to the underside?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Rituraj, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    During a longish drive last week, I suddenly discovered that the rear left tyre had gone flat. Luckily there was a tyrewalla nearby whom I took the car to for puncture repair. Now the tyrewalla put his own jack -a hydraulic jack to lift the vehicle. He however, didn't place the jack on the designated spot but just placed it somewhere towards the back on the underside and lifted the car. Initially, I didn't give a lot of attention to it but later wondered whether the jack was placed in one of the vulnerable spots to raise the vehicle.

So, is there any chance of the underbelly of the car being damaged or injured due to incorrect placement of jack? Or is it that the underbody is just too strong to be affected? Mods, please ignore/delete if the question is silly.

Rituraj
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's not a silly question.

Plenty of roadside/ regular puncture repair guys have their own favourite jack points as opposed to the specified points.

It all depends where exactly the jack was mounted.

Since you haven't noticed any ill-effects of the wrong placement, i reckon you'll be fine. These guys do it on a daily basis. Whenever you visit the TASS next, just ask them to do a underbody check. Till then enjoy the Punto. :)

Cheers.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    If there isn't any dent on the place where it was put forget about this incidence and in future insist on placing the jack at designated points only.
    Not only that area is strengthened but also serve the purpose of balancing the car weight when on lift.
    These roadside puncture waalas are total idiots, I had once seen one lifting someones cars by putting the jack under the rear suspension setup.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I did something just as foolish a while ago..
    By mistake I placed the jack on the plastic skirting and rolled it up, the moment i raised it by a few mm I heard a "Phat" and lowered the car to see that I had made a hole in the plastic skirting..
    I hit myself hard that day.
    But it was a small hole. So i used M-Seal to cover it fully and since then there has been no incidence ...
    So i'm guessing you are good to go as well unless the part you're talking about is a bit more serious than mine.
  5. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    I had to use jack yesterday as my FL side tire got punctured, I never thought it would be tough to locate the jack point and never bothered to look at the manual earlier and I wasn't carrying it with me. Though I can clearly see the markings on the skirt I wasn't sure about the intended place, I found a horizontal steel plate nearby the marking on the skirt and used the jack, however it wasn't strong enough and got bent a little.

The plate where I used the jack can be seen in the below image - it is that front left side horizontal plate which hydraulic-lift shoe uses to support the car in this image.

Reference image source (google + TBHP) Google Image Result for http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/132601d1241521464-fiat-linea-2nd-birthday-04052009441.jpg

It got bent because our Jack is scissor type and that hydraulic plate was not designed for the concentrated weight, rather for a distributed weight as in the image.

Later after checking the manual I see that the jack's scissor head needs to be inserted in the vertical plate that runs alongside the running board, however I couldn't get that inserted on mine probably because I have 3M's under body coating which increased the width of this vertical plate.

Well, the question is - have I found the correct vertical plate which is shown in the manual for jack point?
  6. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Just next to the Jack Markings, there is a vertical protruding line which gets fits into the jack's depression provided by the manufacturer. You just need to place your jack there carefully before rolling it up.
    1 person likes this.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    A silly mistake of mine w.r.t Jack though not to change the tyres but to paint the wordings. Instead of going forward and backward to make the wordings comes topside for painting it, i decided to use Mr. Jack for the first time in my life.
    Read manual twice to make sure how to do it. Carefully placed on the marked spot (again verified with manual) and painted 3 tyres. The last tyre i had to do. This is were the foolish mistake i did but thank goodness nothing happened to car.
    The car was parked on the surface which was not perfect flat. So without gear or break, it would move back slowly. For first back tyres i did jacked with gear in position but not hand break coz i had to rotate it. Did this routine for the 3 (2 front and 1 back). For the final back, i some how forgotten to apply handbreak nor gear. As soon as i jacked up and tyre is up by few inches, the car started to move but thankfully i had kept stone at back of other tyres resting. It saved the car from going into gutter which was 2 feet back of the parking area.
    Lesson learnt and yes i :A myself.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I had a bad day with my jack when I was already down after few slum imbeciles vandalised my car and tyres.

I jacked up the car, removed the wheel, placed the spare in place and was trying to align it with the holes when the jack gave up due to lack of grip. It was on the pavement tile. The car on that side was resting on the spare wheel's inner surface thankfully, the whole weight being on the brake disc. Lesson learnt! No damage thankfully except for my finger.

The new jacks are crappy actually. Built to a cost. The initial batches had imported jacks which were of high quality.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^was the surface where you jacked up horizontal ?
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes, of course. It was on a pavement tile.