1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

In Search Of Head Unit!!!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Grandeur, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

I'm getting sick of writing CD's every week with new tracks. Though I have AUX cable fitted...the component speakers isn't just sounding good with Punto's original head unit.

Time has come to move n have some decent system on board (thanks to this year's bonus ;).

My recuirement:

1. Bluetooth
    2. USB/AUX/iPod
    3. And most importantly the clr illumination shud be orange ;).

I have heard abt JBL's GT-X555 but didn't read any gud reviews on it and it does not have BT. Pls help in identifying some.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. Hey

The cheapest one that matches all but one criteria (orange illumination) is Pioneer DEH-7350BT. I just bought it a while back, costs between 10-12k.
    There is also DEH-4390UB. According to pioneer's website, it supports color customization (216000 colors), but lacks bluetooth.
    The JBL's HUs do not support iPod/iPhone.

Hope this helps.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @Grandeur- Since yours is an Emotion variant, I recommend that you get it ampped. Adding an amplifier is a very easy job in Emotion and the amplifier will switch on-switch off along with the key.

It will take input for this (on-off along with the key) from the Head Unit itself. You do not need to route it through the ACC or the ignition like in Emotion Pack.

The benefit is that it will preserve the integrated looks of the silver center console.

But if you are looking for USB/iPhone/iPad/Bluetooth, then you have no other option but to upgrade.

Regarding Head Unit, I think Pioneer and Alpine are the best head units out there.

Are you planning to add sub in future (You travel a lot so I guess you won't)? If yes, then make sure you go for a model with 3 RCA pre-outs so that you have sub-woofer control in the HU.

I checked out Pioneer HUs with orange backlight. I could find only 2:

Check this one - Pioneer DEH 3390UB
    Con- lacks Bluetooth and has only 2 RCA pre-outs.

Another HU is Pioneer DEH-8350SD This one is the best HU IMO since it has everything, including 3 RCA pre-outs and Bluetooth along with lots of other features. But I don't see orange display. Price ~ 10-11k
  4. Grandeur

Thanks Guys!

I agree Pioneer are the best, but my only criteria which is not matching is the Orange illumination. Or else I would have gone with it long back.

I'm also looking at Kenwood. Can you guys rate Kenwood in comparison with Pioneer. So far I have listed out the following with kenwood.

KDC-X8016BT and KDC-XBT8013U

They are falling around 15k to 19K in India. But I have an option to get it from US and from US I'm getting it around 10K. Both model comes with VCI - Variable Color Illumination along with Parrot BT.

What say?

5. The guy I bought it from, advised me to go for this one, he also said that these are better than the pioneer hands down.
    Couldn't buy it as it was out of my current budget.

So if you are fine with the warranty part of buying from abroad, you should go ahead with it.
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

And how long would it take you to get it from US?
  7. Grandeur

Two weeks from now! KDC-X8016BT is costing around 19K in India and if I get it from US it is costing around 10K!!!
  8. Grandeur

Update! Just been informed by my relatives that they have postponed there plan to visit until Diwali. And ofcourse I can't wait until than, so now I have to choose something available in India.

So far Pioneer is offering everything what I expecting in head unit, except the Orange illumination (I guess I have to compromise on it) :(. But there is one moer option available, Pioneer DEH-6200BT, It dosan't have Orange illumination but Red.

@ PaddleShifter: Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind about 3 RCA pre-outs. That was really helpful info.

9. Viny

Viny Esperto

How about building a car pc :p :D ...

/me Hiding away ...
  10. Grandeur

Costly Affair!

BTW I came across one more option; Blaupunkt Toronto 400 BT. It has option of VarioColour (4096 colours) to chose from. Bluetooth, USB, AUX and CD Player. Pre-amplifier (channels, voltage): 4-channel (2 V). I hope this will help if I install any Amp. later.