1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

In Rains and Mist - The Beautiful Kudremukh

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ramjn, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Drive into Kudremukh National Park

After a very good night sleep, we woke up at 7.30 am on Saturday. The plan for the day was to drive into kudremukh national park which was around 20 kms from Kalasa (I need to drive 12 kms to reach Kalasa from homestay). I discussed with Mr. Harsha there on the places to visit there. He offered help by sending one of his person along with us so that he can guide us with the route and places. I also agreed. Mr. Harsha also told that he will arrange the lunch for us at the Govt. guest house at Kudremukh. That was very good idea given the distance to reach the home stay.

After having hot tea, I quickly cleaned my Linea (as usual :D). We were ready by 9.30 am and breakfast was served for us. Again, that was malnad cuisine. I couldn't recall the name of the item they made. That was similar to roti but made of rice. After having the very nice breakfast, we started our drive with the guidance from the person sent by Mr. Harsha.

The plan was to first visit Hanuman Gundi Falls which is around 20 kms from Kudremukh. Totally, I may need to drive 50+kms from the home stay to reach the Hanuman Gundi falls. I drove consistently in the range of 40-60 kmph and was able to reach Kalasa within 30 minutes. Then, I continued to drive toward Kudremukh. It was getting better and better. We reached Kudremukh and continued to proceed for the Falls. We had multiple stops in between to enjoy the sceneries and also for the photographs. After Kudremukh, the sign board read that we are entering into Shola Forest range. The whole route was very scenic but not that dense as we see at Masinagudi and Mudumalai national park. We reached the hanuman gundi falls and the entry fee charged was Rs. 20/person. Here, we need to climb down 300+ steps to see the falls. The waterfalls was really furious in this monsoon. After enjoying the falls we started to drive back to Kudremukh. The time was already 1 pm and we decided to directly head to the govt. guest house for the lunch. We reached there by 1.45 pm and our lunch there. The food was very decent. Nothing to complain about. The only pain was that they took lot of time to serve us. While having the lunch, it started to rain very heavily. The intensity got reduced by the time we finished with our lunch.

The next place we visited was the hanging bridge across the river. I don't remember the name of the river. But, the view from the bridge was really exotic. We then proceeded to Kalasa and then contined to drive to Hornad to visit the Annapoorneswari Temple. Hornad was hardly 6 kms from Kalasa. We came back to Kalasa and visited the famous Easwara temple there. After the hectic day, we drove back to the Home Stay. It was 5.45 pm when we reached the home stay. They had prepared hot bajji for us and served the same wth the hot tea. We enjoyed it with the view of mist cover and light drizzle that evening. I took some photographs and videos that evening. After the delicious dinner, we finally retired at 9.30 pm for the day.

Time for some photographs

The road, the mountains and my Linea after Kudremukh
    DSC02100.jpg

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

My daughter enjoying her time
    DSC02117.jpg

The Hanuman Gundi Falls
    DSC02128.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

The hanging bridge
    DSC02171.jpg

The river as seen from the bridge
    DSC02173.jpg

Back at home stay
    DSC02219.jpg

The FE returned by my Linea for the day
    DSC02229.jpg

DSC02230.jpg
    6 people like this.
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Superb pics...monsoon magic at its best!!

DO visit when u get a chance post monsoon...

It would be most beautiful at that time..

I guess u have missed the Lakya dam..yes?

Also no mention of leeches...very surprising...

Some answers to ur doubts in ur post:
    1:River in question is "bhadra"
    2.U saw jungle not dense..after Shola forest..."Shola" forest means forest with mostly open grasslands..so not dense...
    3."Forest not denser as in Masinagudi " : Apart from shola forest...most of Kmukh national park is tropical evergreen forest which is the thickest possible forest type anywhere in the world.....masinagudi is mostly dry deciduous forest ...try going on a trek in KNP when u get a chance...sunlight can't even penetrate at 1 pm in afternoon!!!!

Sorry if I'm being too "preachy" :)
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks puntosat.

I did visit the Lakya dam :). It was completely dry and that is the reason why I skipped it from posting a picture.
    I was warned of leeches by lot of people over there. But, fortunately we did not encounter any :).

No. Not at all. In fact, it is good to know about it.
  4. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    As far as the dam being completely dry...the fact is it was never built to hold water..take that!!!!

K'mukh was famous for highest quality iron ore in surrounding mountains..

It was built to hold sludge (waste content after iron is processed out of iron ore)

So what you saw was about 250 feet of sludge (not dry land)..and anyone who steps on to it during monsoon will simply drown in it (quicksand)..

Lot of people mistook it as dry land and ventured on them for snaps and drowned miserably..

If ever this dam bursted..the sludge will fill the entire bhadra river and eventually Tungabhadra rive and would reach Andhra pradesh...

Fortunately mining was banned in Kudremukh couple of years back and no more ore gets collected in this dam ..the current level stays..thank god !!

Mining stopped & forest is reclaiming these mountains again...
    Murphy_Fiat, Ravi, sungoa2010 and 4 others like this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Salt or any saline substance would do you good here... or let them just drink and they will leave by themselves.. ( At least one will be free of bad cholestrol) ;-)

Secondly, Ramjn you've now made me think of packing my bags again :)
    2 people like this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Have you faced any bite from leeches?
    The grey punto looks awsome in mist and light grey background also your BNW.
    Was there any under body scrapping?
    Can you post a route map from Banglore-Kudremukh(If planning to give at the end please ignore this)
    I just noticed that you have erased the reg No of Punto also, some thing which people forget generally. :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is some excellent piece of information puntosat. Thanks for that. You are really a master of Kudremukh :D.
    Now that you have given some clarifications, I should post some pictures of the dam as well.

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02157.jpg
    4 people like this.
  8. Good one Ramesh. Waiting for the rest. Thanks puntosat, for information...
    Have you meet this punto owner and wooed him to join TFI?
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Photography Prohibited? It is like keeping a plate of hot Idli -vada and telling breakfast is prohibited.

These mining is one reason for worsening the road conditions because of trucks. For example if one want to go from Goa to Hubli via Londa the border highways are in miserable condition because of trucks going to mining area. There are lot of alternative route to Goa through forests most of them not accessible because of these trucks.
  10. Ramesh Sir,

You visited 4th highest forest covered district in Karnataka,other three in ascending order are Shimoga-->Dakshin Kannada-->Uttra Kannada., hope you would visit them too some day.

-Sat
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.