1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

In Rains and Mist - The Beautiful Kudremukh

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ramjn, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This May'2012 is the hottest summer in Chennai in 10 years. No rains and the temperature was hovering around 40-43 degrees Celsius through out the month. In fact, it was during the cyclone 'Thane' when it rained heavily in Chennai and since then I haven't seen any rain at all. This became another excuse for me to drive down to a place where it will be raining for sure. I had couple of options and finally drove to the beautiful Kudremukh.

DSC02093.jpg
  2. Ramesh ,
    It was pretty fast .. When you asked about the options I thought that the trip was for July atleast .. .

Looks beautiful place .. Hope that you had a great time there .. Post some more pics please

Ajit
    1 person likes this.
  3. @Ajit, he stands by his nick name "speedu" Ramesh. When he told me that he's off on a sudden trip, I thought it was some official trip, but I was shocked when he called me from there :eek:

Now I'm glued to this thread.
    2 people like this.
  4. When Ramesh started the "options Thread" , i was also planning for a trip for a week to some green place.. And ended up deciding do do the trip on Sept 2nd week . And here he started his travelogue :)

Ajit
    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Today I landed on Goa around 12 O' clock. My neighbor told there was a loud thunder and high voltage lightning in the morning that they had never experienced and very unusual in monsoon. I thought I just missed it. But now at 7:30 pm when I opened the forum I experienced the same by seeing ram's thread. It was totally unexpected. I thought ramj will be sleeping after the huge task of coordinating the Chennai-banglore meet. But he has completed another trip and came with a travelogue in no time. Impatient to know how his Linea has chased the rain. Let me add one more visheshan to ram "speedu-surprisu ramesh"
    3 people like this.
  6. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore

So u listened to my advice &* headed to Kudremukh...its my fav place...

There are tonnes of locations here where vehicle can't go...

But I hope u drove inside Kudremukh national park...its a serene out of world place...

Waiting for more pics..
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I planned to make the trip by early July when I started the thread. But, plans changed all of a sudden :D.

Thanks for the complements Sun :).

Yes puntosat. It was indeed your advice which helped me to finalize this place and it was your post which gave the links to the accommodation which helped me to plan this earlier.

More pictures are on its way.
    1 person likes this.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Planning

This trip has to be a drive in rains for the reasons given by me in post 1 of this thread. So, I started exploring the options and started a thread to get suggestions from members. My plan was to drive down by last week of June or early July.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/6482-monsoon-drive-place.html

After some thought process I was more inclined towards Chikmagalur. It was the post from puntosat which slightly tilted my decision to Kudremukh. A big thanks to him for giving options for accomodation as well. It was thursday (21st June) evening 4 pm, when I was casually browsing through the accomdation options given by puntosat. Suddenly, I had a thought why not do this week itself instead of waiting for some more weeks. I didn't have more to do at my office for friday too. I immediately started calling the staying options around Kudremukh and finally got a good deal with 'Thangaali' home stay. I confirmed them that I would be there by 11 am on friday.

The next task was to call my better half and tell this plan :D. I did the same and could able to feel her reaction even though we were conversing over the phone. I requested her to start packing up as we are going to leave by 9 PM. I completed all my pending tasks at office and reached home at 8 PM. It took another 1.5hrs for us to start for this trip. We went out for the dinner and I tanked up my Linea at a IOC pump near my home and finally it was 10.35 pm when the actual drive commenced.

The Drive

I was well prepared with the route I should be taking and I did set the same in my Garmin GPS navigator as well. The route which I planned was,
    Tambaram-Oragadam-Ranipet-Chittoor-Mulbagal-Kolar-Bangalore ORR-Kunigal-Channaraypatna-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa

Interesting information is that, for this route I paid Rs. 40 as toll in total (Rs. 25 at Ranipet and Rs. 15 at Bangalore before the Neelamangala). The road condition was very good except for few patches for about 20 kms before Mulbagal and a patchy road for about 10 kms before the home stay. Other than that the whole route was a breeze to drive. Thangaali home stay was located 6 km before Kalasa and I have to deviate from the road and drive another 6 kms to reach the homestay.

I drove very sedately and reached Cafe Coffee Day at Chittoor bypass by 1.15 am. I had a break there to have coffee (it's a 24 hours cafe). Then continued my drive and it was 3.30 am when I reached KR puram in Bangalore. I took the ring road all the way to get connected to the Tumkur highway. It was a big relief for me to drive in Bangalore at that time without any traffic. I continued my journey and was 40 kms away from Channarayapattana and the time was 5.15 am. It is when I felt some uneasyness and lost some concentration. I immediately pulled over to the service lane and slept for around 30 minutes. I woke up, refreshed and started to drive again and reached Channarayapattana by 6.30 am. Here, I tanked up my Linea again and found a restaurant there (Hotel Aadhya) which was already open. We went in and we got idly and vada and finally coffee. After our breakfast, the drive continued with another tea break at Kelagur Tea Point. The tea served here was awesome and the drive continued and when we reached the home stay it was 11.30 AM. As usual, I had a surprise before entering the home stay. Yes, the surprise from the approach road it had.

I did not have any plans for the day except for taking rest and having nice Malnad food. One of the home stay owner Mr. Harish was very helpful and he told me that they would serve me authentic Malnad food through out my stay there.

The lunch was ready by 1 pm and as promised, it was prepared in Malnad style. One particular item impressed me a lot. That was Thambuli (don't know if I am spelling it right). It was prepared in Curd with some spices. This is supposed to be taken first with rice. It was really good. After very nice lunch, I just retired to get some sleep while my daughter was very active playing in and around the home stay (she had very good sleep through out the journey).

I woke up (actually forced to :D) at 5 pm just to witness the amazing mist cover through out the mountain range and also the area of the home stay. The visibility was limited to around 10 feet. I hurried took out my camera for some shots but, I was then told that snacks and tea is ready for us. We again enjoyed the hot bajji served with tea. I just came out with the tea to enjoy with all those mist. The weather changed again and it now started to rain heavily. It lasted till 8 pm. Our dinner was ready too by 9 pm. I retired for the day soon after the dinner.

Time for some pictures

The Valley and the mountains as seen from the home stay

DSC02091.jpg

DSC02199.jpg

DSC02200.jpg

The only other car which was parked at the home stay was a Punto. My Linea got a companion at the parking of Thangaali.

During Mist
    DSC02214.jpg

During Rain
    DSC02228.jpg

The Approach road to the Home Stay
    DSC02185.jpg

The FE for the onward drive
    20120623_102008.jpg

20120623_102029.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    14 people like this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Excellent travelogue coupled with nice photographs, Ramesh.
    Now that you drove on this approach road, your Linea is all set to conquer the Zojila ghat road :) as the former could easily compete with the latter.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    3 people like this.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    great pictures and writing Ramesh!! NH48 for the first 100 kms from nelamangala is a treat to drive on! at night time it feels like you are on nfs tracks!! Is it still free? when i drove on it some 3 months back they told trial runs are free :)
    1 person likes this.