1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ignition Coil

Discussion in 'Technical' started by shakesin, May 12, 2015.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    While on a small 200km trip(Feb 2015), on the way back home, car started to act like a truck, and i realized the Engine light was blinking, and car wouldn't go above 2k rpm. Called the SA and he asked to slowly drive to the service center. After running the Diags, the SA told me one of the ignition coil that connects the spark plug to the engine (looks like a cable) is faulty, so got that replaced. Last week this issue returned, this time another ignition coil gone, and it seems none of the Service center have the part available. The SA from Aadya motors tell me, it can take a week, this part is already awaited for past one week, showing me signs that it may take longer than a week to get it, i showed him the 99rpm site and asked him if i should order from there(I save 500 bucks), SA got worried and called his spare parts person to get it escalated and they arranged the part in 2 days. Now without taking any chances im replacing the remaining 2 also.
    Don't think its acceptable to wait even for 2 days for a small part like this, wonder when will FIAT learn, looks like nothing has changed since FIAT launched its own service centers.

My question is, Why/How does the ignition coil get faulty, is it just age, or the way the car is run? Should all run a check while getting the car serviced, as this can be a major blow when someone is on a long drive.

Thanks,
    Shake
    GP 1.4 Petrol
  2. Lunafiatic

Lunafiatic Amatore

Pune-Mumbai-Pune
    One of the reasons for the ignition coil failure could also be worn out spark plugs. I suggest you check the health of your spark plugs and get it replaced. Else, changing only the coil will not do any good in the long run. The coil might go kaput again. How many kilometers has your car covered? Have you noticed any misfires?
  3. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The car has done 48k, before the first replacement, I did have a miss fire issue at 3k rpm, but that used to happen rarely, so I couldn't show it to the SA when I went for service in Jan.
    Now they are replacing all the spark plugs.
    Thanks,
    Shake
  4. Lunafiatic

Lunafiatic Amatore

Pune-Mumbai-Pune
    Well, in that case I believe it will resolve the issue. Kindly share your experience later.
  5. Nav Sandhar

Nav Sandhar Timido

Gurgaon / NCR / Chandigarh
    Linea 1.4
    I have encountered the same problem where one of the ignition coil got faulty, It happened after the car (Linea Emotion Pk 1.4L FIRE) ran about 44k km in total.

I took it to a workshop as there was no fiat service station near by, I anyhow asked the mechanic to replace all the coils so that one of the other doesn't get faulty again, the nearest Fiat service station was @chandigarh and they denied that they dont have the parts and it will take weeks as they will order the parts from Pune, this is very bad.
    Out of any choice I asked the workshop mechanic to get the new coils from Jalandhar, the new coils which he got after a day were not of the same brand which were there initially, these were of some brand (PW) and the original were of Champion. same company which make spark plugs.
    I also asked to change the Spark plugs.

but after around 2 months/1000 km again one of the coil got short-circuited the car won't even start. after replacing it with one of the original coil which was fine as out of the four only 1 coil was faulty initially, the car started and I drove around 10k or so.
    After a couple of days another coil is faulty now.

I am really concerned if there is something wrong in the wiring?

also, what option do I have if Fiat doesn't provide the genuine parts. In case I need the vehicle on an emergency I need to opt for the alternative parts instead of waiting for weeks and months.

need expert advise here.

Thanks,
    Navdeep Sandhar
  6. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    One of my friend is facing a similar issue in his Linea. Though he is not on TFI. Hes already changed all the coils as per Fiats requirements at FIAT workshop here in Vadodara. But hes still facing the problems related to that again and again. Experts please advise.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    No idea why it occurs, but had happened to my Punto about six months back. After replacing the ignition coil and all the spark plugs, the issue didn't surface again.
  8. Shiv Rathod

Shiv Rathod Timido

Pune
    Linea Classic
    Hi friend , ignition coil could be weak because if you use your vehicle CNG / LPG , Spark Plugs worn out And Most of us people do wash engine with water .water shouldn't be used around engine area near Ignition coil or spark plug . If you use so spark plug becomes rusted .And Using low quality CNG / LPG kits