1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

If your car Engine is replaced .......

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ibsr, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Recently I had a problem in my linea Di where the engine oil and coolant oil has mixed up due to an internal leak in the cooler unit :mad:. I understand in many cases under this situation the engine get overheated and seizes:evil: ( fortunately or unfortunately engine seizure did not happen in my case). In these cases the engine is overhauled / replaced.

Suppose the engine is under fag end of warranty (e.g. ur left with 3 months) and the following scenario is proposed by the company.

(a) the company suggests that the defective cooling unit will be replaced and you can use the same engine
    In case of scenario#a where only the defective part is replaced. You do not know what is the damaged caused to the engine parts esp head gasket. damage to head gasket also can also lead to a similar mix up oils in future.

(b) Replaces with a new engine
    In case of this scenario. What happens to the (1) engine warranty- will it be for next two yrs or for 3 months only (2) Extended Warranty (3) Vehicle registration where VIN number is mentioned.

I would like to request fellow tfians to provide their take on these scenarios which would be helpful for me (facing the situation now) as well as for others in future.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

If I was is your place I would get only the defective part replaced and move on and ask Fiat to extend warranty on engine as a goodwill gesture.

Legally warranty starts for all replaced parts from the sale of car and not from replacement of defective part. Extended warranty will carry on as it would normally(check with fiat or warranty insurer with this you may have to inform them about engine no change). Engine No would have to changed in RC as per formalities of Registration Office.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    As per my understanding, sometimes it is possible that they give you a new engine with the same engine number during such replacement (know a case of a Mahindra SUV where the whole vehicle was replaced with same color, engine number and chassis number 2 weeks after delivery). Depends upon company policy I guess.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I don't think it depend on the company policy. It should be the Indian Mentality, I would say. How come a manufacturer dare to make another engine or car with the same VIN number? It is possible only in India.