1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

IF IT'S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE NEW DELHI

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Nov 19, 2010.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot, rajesh3rao, for the compliments and advance wishes for my ensuing trips.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    JRavi: Given your 6K run of Western India, could you kindly share few thoughts on following

1. What did you learn new about India in this trip
    2. Things/places/activities/culture/etc that impressed you most during this trip
    3. Things that you thought could have been better.
    4. Let downs experienced during the trip.

You recommendations and suggestions to others who are planning to trip same zone in near future.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Viny. Here are my replies to your queries:

1 and 2. Gujarat: My first visit. Compared to the other states, more industrialised, more developed, and of course, more polluted. Gujarat is the only state in India, which strictly and successfully enforces total prohibition against liquor. Gujarat Government manages its finance without the income from the liquor industries. Only in Gujarat, I didn't find any bars on NH 8. Hats off to that policy. Gujarat is, perhaps, the only big state in India that assures and ensures 24 hours availability of electricity to all categories of consumers. Gujarat is one of the few states in India, where vegetarianism is predominant. Gujarat has lion's share in trading in shares [both secondary and IPO]. In short, I like Gujarat, and like to visit again.

3 and 4. UP. It's a tragedy that the world heritage monument Taj Mahal and the other historical sites are situated in UP among filth and total chaos. Less said the better about UP.

Before commencement of a trip, please ensure that both the vehicle and its driver are in good tip-top condition. Reserve the accommodation in advance. Then, it's full of happiness only!

These are all my personal thoughts without any political bias.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Now, I am doing some accounting of my trip. I spent about Rs 30 k towards the petrol bills during my 18-day, 6148-km long mega trip. The lowest rate of petrol was in BP - Gymkhana Service Station, New Delhi [Rs 55.50/litre] followed by BP COCO pump near Talegaon Toll Plaza, Pune [Rs 55.65/litre]. The list does not include the free petrol [about 10 litres] sponsored by Fiat India Automobiles Ltd. during the Ranjangaon plant visit on 3 December 2010. Here are the details.
    [attachment=0:zfzqlsf9]Petrolbill.jpg[/attachment:zfzqlsf9]

Petrolbill.jpg
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    That's one fantastic trip Ravi. The way you have meticulously kept details is amazing. I agree with your views on Gujarat and UP. A big feature I liked in Gujarat was discipline of truck drivers in maintaining their lanes. It might be due to danda, but it works.

My plans are now veering towards buying a vehicle (maybe like Tata Winger) and travel extensively after I retire. Long time to go though.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Kapil, for kind words.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    DETAILS OF LODGING BILLS

I spent about Rs 90 k towards lodging for 5 persons in my 18-day, 6148-km long mega trip spanning across seven states of India. Here are the details.
    [attachment=0:bkx8tgix]LodgingBills.jpg[/attachment:bkx8tgix]

LodgingBills.jpg
  8. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    So around 1.2 lacs were spent on petrol and logistics ::pP . How much was the overall expenditure. Considering such a long journey with 5 people on a month long holiday, the expenditure seems justified. A real Family experience. :clap
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, ansal11. Food and toll bills are being accounted for. I think, the total expenditure should be within Rs 1.5 lakh.
  10. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I would say for 5 people, this is cheap compared to any other mode of transport that is equally comfortable.