1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

IF IT'S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE NEW DELHI

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Nov 19, 2010.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    DAY 10 - 27 NOV 2010 - SATURDAY

Delhi's civic administration is looked after by New Delhi Municipal Corporation [NDMC] and Municipal Corporation of Delhi [MCD]. New Delhi, famous for its wide, tree-lined boulevards, is considered one of the best capitals in the world. It was planned by the British architects, Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker and inaugurated by Lord Irwin, the then Viceroy of India, in 1931. I would like to visit New Delhi again and again. But, today, we had to leave!

We got up early in the morning, got ready, packed and checked out of Ginger Vivek Vihar by 6:30 am. We went straight to Raj Ghat. It was a pleasant drive to Raj Ghat, where we paid homage to the Father of the Nation. Then, we headed to Red Fort. We were at the Red Fort by 9 am and it was open. The car-parking area was disorganised. We were the first few early visitors to Red Fort on that day. We spent about three hours in the Red Fort. Our next port of call was Jain Lal Mandir, located opposite the Red Fort. Then, it was time for brunch. We explored Chandni Chowk by walk. Then, we barged into Haldiram's and had delicious brunch comprising chole bhatura, raj kachori, special dahi Bhalla, lassi, chai, etc. When we reached back to the car-parking lot, we were shocked to see both the entry and exit were totally blocked with cars parked haphazrdly. By the time we extricated our Fiat Linea delicately with many forward and reverse manoeuvres, it was 1:45 pm already. Last night itself, my Linea had tankful of petrol at BP Gymkhana Service Station near Aurangazeb Marg, costing Rs 55.50 per litre of petrol.

We headed straight to Jodhpur. I knew, a long drive was in store for me. Driving on Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway was superb. But, after Gurgaon, road-widening [from 4 lanes to 6 lanes] work on NH 8 was going on until Jaipur with a lot of crossings and multi axled heavy vehicles until Manesar hampered our speed. Thankfully, there was no big traffic jam. We bypassed Jaipur city and continued our journey on NH 8. Somewhere between Jaipur and Ajmer, we had our night dinner at Gujarat Palanpurwala Hotel New Jaipur [located on LHS of NH 8 from Jaipur to Ajmer] comprising tava chapatis, dal fry and chai, which was not only delicious but also very economical. Entire sumptuous dinner for five of us cost mere Rs 250 or so. Toilets were clean with ample parking space for our Linea. Now, it's time for petrol refuel for our Linea, which had its tankful at a Reliance pump. Then, I drove on and on till I reached my destination at Jodhpur at 2 am the next day after more than 12 hours of driving with two breaks.

Here we break for photographs!
    [attachment=10:4pt2awxj]499.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=11:4pt2awxj]IMG_0926.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=12:4pt2awxj]IMG_0935.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=0:4pt2awxj]501.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=1:4pt2awxj]510.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=2:4pt2awxj]514.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=3:4pt2awxj]523.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=4:4pt2awxj]536.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=5:4pt2awxj]IMG_0940.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=6:4pt2awxj]540.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=7:4pt2awxj]541.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=8:4pt2awxj]542.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]
    [attachment=9:4pt2awxj]544.JPG[/attachment:4pt2awxj]

More in the pipeline.

499.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

501.JPG

510.JPG

514.JPG

523.JPG

536.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

540.JPG

541.JPG

542.JPG

544.JPG
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    DAY 11 - 28 NOV 2010 - SUNDAY

We got up late, had brunch while our Fiat Linea had a good car wash thanks to an attendent of Mandore Guest House, where we stayed. My Linea got rid of all accummulated muck and dirt due to rains in Jaipur, Agra and en route Delhi. It got back its glitter and shine.

My host, Raj Gehlot advised me to visit Merangarh Fort first as it would take more time and keep Umaid Bhawan Palace for tomorrow. Accordingly, we visited the fort first. It took about three hours.

When we were about to get into our Linea, a friendly cab driver drew our attention and pointed to the rear rigtht wheel of our Linea, which had less air pressure. I knew, what was in store for me. But, I was in no mood to replace the wheel then and there. So, we went to BP dealer Ram Petrol Service at Maha Mandir, Jodhpur, where my Linea had tankful of petrol costing Rs 56.41 per litre and all the four wheels of my Linea had full air pressure of 36 psi and we returned to our guest house after shopping en route. The guy, who filled air for all the four wheels at the fuel pump, refused to accepted my tip of Rs 5, saying it's company's free service! Later, we enjoyed bon fire followed by candle-lit dinner before calling it a day.

556.JPG

561.JPG

568.JPG

569.JPG

582.JPG

595.JPG

597.JPG

600.JPG

601.JPG

603.JPG

604.JPG

607.JPG

608.JPG

609.JPG

610.JPG
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    More photographs of Mehrangarh Fort of Jodhpur.

IMG_0992.JPG

611.JPG

616.JPG

617.JPG

618.JPG

620.JPG

621.JPG

622.JPG

624.JPG

628.JPG

629.JPG

631.JPG

636.JPG

645.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    DAY 12 - 29 NOV 2010 - MONDAY

I got up early in the morning as I had a hectic day ahead of me. The first thing I did was to inspect my Fiat Linea's rear right wheel. As expected, the air pressure was again less. This was my Linea's first encounter with puncture. So, I opened the boot, took out the tool bag and removed the wheel jack assembly. I was surprised to see the inscription 'Made in Brazil' on it! I replaced the rear right punctured wheel of my Linea with the spare steel wheel. My host guided me to a tyre repair-wala near Maha Mandir Circle and advised me to get that work done on my way to Umaid Bhawan Palace. Accordingly, after breakfast, while heading for Umaid Bhawan, I gave the punctured alloy wheel for repair and on my way back, I had the repaired alloy wheel refitted at the same spot, while the spare wheel went back to its slot in the boot. The tyre repair-wala charged me Rs 50 for repairs. On our way back, we visited Mandore Garden.

We packed, checked out of Mandore Guest House at 1 pm and headed for Udaipur. We saw 'Palace on Wheels' parked at Jodhpur railway station, while going out of Jodhpur. The 2-laned NH 65 upto Pali was not good. After Pali, the road condition of NH 14 improved. We had late lunch at a Gujarat Palanpurwala pure vegetarian hotel somewhere on NH 14 between Pali and Sirohi. The food was good and VFM. My MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator took us inside Pindwara before joining 4-laned toll road NH 76, which was excellent.

We reached our abode Jaiwana Haveli, Udaipur, by 9 pm. The last km drive was very thrilling and challenging to my driving skill as Jaiwana Haveli was located at Lal Ghat, atop a hill with a small lane serving as its only access! I heaved a sigh of relief, when I parked my Linea in the small parking lot of Jaiwana Haveli. I decided that I would take out my Linea out only tomorrow early morning when we check out. We checked in, unpacked, refreshed and dined at roof-top restaurant of Jaiwana Haveli with a magnificient view of Pichola lake. Then, it was time to call it a day.

657.JPG

660.JPG

661.JPG

665.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

666.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

669.JPG

673.JPG

674.JPG
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    More photogaphs.

678.JPG

679.JPG

683.JPG

687.JPG

692.JPG

694.JPG

698.JPG

726.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Ravi,

What is this Gujarat Palanpurwala hotels? are they chain of the same group? You mentioned that you had food in those hotels at several different places. Just curious & hence asking.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Amit. These pure vegetarian hotels with big green dot in Gujarat and Rajasthan are owned by different persons/families from Palanpur, Gujarat. I found even the cups/saucers/cutleries had brand name with Palanpur address.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Were they only in Gujarat & Rajasthan ? or in Delhi/ Agra / highway also?
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes, Amit, I found these pure vegetarian hotels in GJ and RJ, which are in majority, but not in Delhi/Agra/NH2, where mainly dhabas with mixed fare were served with bar attached.
  10. Rajen

Rajen Regolare

Bangalore
    Ravi Sir

Nice photogrpahs and excellant narrative. Regarding the Gujarati Veg. food I would agree with you. I love Gujarati Thali . Stayed in Gujarat for 8 years. ::D