1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

IF IT'S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE NEW DELHI

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Nov 19, 2010.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    DAY 3 - 20 NOV 2010 - SATURDAY

My Linea had an early morning bath at Oritel Serviced Apartments. We had delicious and sumptuous breakfast and checked out of Oritel by 9:00 am. I took the Western Expessway and joined NH 8 in the midst of heavy traffic. My MapMyIndia Lx 130 navigator guided me properly all the way to Ahmedabad.

Here are the highlights of Mumbai - Ahmedabad trip:

* How did we come to know that we entered Gujarat on NH 8? The moment, we were surrounded by big multi-axled heavy vehicles, chemcial tankers and trucks that outnumbered all other categories of vehicles, then we sure did.

* Gujarat is the only state that successfully enforces total prohibition. So, no bars, no arrack shops, no pubs on NH 8! Similarly, we found good vegetarian eateries that outnumbered mixed fare joints all along the NH 8. :up

* Most of the drivers of multi-axled heavy vehicles and trucks were well-mannered gentlemen to the core as compared to their counterparts in south India. The moment they saw my Linea in their rear-view mirrors, immediately they used to go to the left lane and give way to my Linea! :up I experienced this all along NH 8 in Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan. Getting way from these big brothers, notwithstanding constant honking or flashing high beams, is next to impossible in south India! Invariably, I used to overtake these big brothers from the left only! But not in MH, GJ and RJ!

* I read various posts about perennial traffic pile-up while crossing the Narmada river bridge. But, I didn't face any traffic pile-up while crossing the Narmada bridge. It was a smooth drive albeit with reduced speed.

* After crossing the Narmada bridge, we drove to BP COCO retail outlet at Luvara, on NH 8, just opposite a Gurdwara. My Linea and its occupants had stomachful at the vegetarian Ghar Dhaba. The food was finger-licking and tasty. The tea was simply superb. The toilets were clean. The unleaded petrol cost Rs 56.05 per litre. I decided to have a stop-over here during my return trip.

* The NH 8 was being widened from 4 lanes to 6 lanes all along from Mumbai to Surat by M/s IRB Infrastructure Developers Ltd. Although, many diversions were there, all diversions were well-asphalted, well-barricaded with good signages, resulting in dust-free diversions. There was no traffic jam in any of these diversions in the up journey. However, there was a traffic pile-up for more than two hours in the return trip!

* There was heavy traffic jam at Vadodara. Later, I enjoyed driving on Vadodara - Ahmedabad NE1. :up

By the time we checked in at Ginger Ahmedabad, it was 7:00 pm. After refreshing, we went for a stroll at the nearby Himalaya Mall. Then, we drove to Gordhan Thal to taste authentic Gujarati food. But, alas, it was closed, weekly holiday, it seemed. Then, we dined at nearby Hotel Dasaprakash. Yes, the same Dasaprakash of Mysore/Chennai. Then, we returned to Ginger and enjoyed well-deserved sound sleep.

Here are some photographs:
    [attachment=0:17sfrr5t]011.JPG[/attachment:17sfrr5t]
    [attachment=1:17sfrr5t]013.JPG[/attachment:17sfrr5t]
    [attachment=2:17sfrr5t]016.JPG[/attachment:17sfrr5t]
    [attachment=3:17sfrr5t]021.JPG[/attachment:17sfrr5t]
    [attachment=4:17sfrr5t]022.JPG[/attachment:17sfrr5t]
    [attachment=5:17sfrr5t]026.JPG[/attachment:17sfrr5t]

More to come.

011.JPG

013.JPG

016.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

026.JPG
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    NOSTALGIA CONTINUES!

DAY 4 - 21 NOV 2010 - SUNDAY

We got up early, had a quick breakfast and left for half-day sight-seeing of Ahmedabad. We visited Sabarmati Ashram and Law Garden. We returned to Ginger, checked out at 12:30 after-noon and left for Jaipur.

En route, my Linea had tankful of petrol at HP COCO retail outlet on NH 8 after Himatnagar. We had lunch at Hotel Asopalav. The food was good. Plenty of car parking space was available. But, the toilets were not that good. We continued our onward journey. At BP COCO OSTS Soniyana, Chittorgarh, NH 79, my Linea and its occupants had bellyful. Again, the food was good and the tea, excellent. The cost of unleaded petrol was Rs 56.70 per litre.

We reached Jaipur by 12:30 am [after midnight]. By the time, we located Prem Abhilasha Guest House, Meera Marg, Jaipur, it was 2 am the next day! My host was kind enough to guide me through to the guest house at that ghostly hour. The confusion was due to the fact that there were three Meera Margs in Jaipur. The one, where we stayed, was near Jaipur Railway Station and Collectorate. Soon after we reached the guest house, we called it a day!

Now, it's time for some photographs!

IMG_0504.JPG

040.JPG

037.JPG

044.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

052.JPG

059.JPG

061.JPG

074.JPG

081.JPG

739.JPG

089.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG
  3. Ravi, it was an aboslute pleasure to meet you in person during the Fiat Factory visit. Your absolutely marvelous long travels around the country inspire me a lot to take my Italian beauty on some long road travel. As always the pictures are superb. Keep them coming and thanks a lot for sharing your road adventures with us.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Ravi,

It was a pleasure meeting you during the meet.

I'm sure this travelogue thread would inspire many to do such long drives. Awsome is just the word !!!
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Awaiting Day4 Sirji , bring it on :)
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, arishi, for the compliments. More details and photographs are in the pipeline!
    Thanks a lot, Amit, for kind words. Although we couldn't meet at Mumbai, we made it at Pune!
    Thank you, Viny. I am still editing the photographs. In the meanwhile, I have been searching for my decade-old photographs so that I can post them too, hence the delay!
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    DAY 5 - 22 NOV 2010 - MONDAY

We had good breakfast and rested in the forenoon. My Linea got a nice bath, thanks to the in-house attendent of the guest house. We left for the Jaipur city palace in the afternoon. I drove through the busy and congested old city area and market road to reach the city palace. By the time we come out of the city palace, it was evening. We drove around the city, had an early Rajasthani dinner and returned to our guest house.

DAY 6 - 23 NOV 2010 TUESDAY

After an early breakfast, we drove to Amber Palace through the same congested old city area. We returned to our guest house in the afternoon, checked out and headed for Agra on NH 11.

En route, we lunched at Khandelwal Dhaba at Hadiya, Mahwa on NH 11. The special thali costing Rs 140 each and the tea costing Rs 7 each were good.

NH 11 was 4-lane and good up to Rajasthan border. After a few km into UP, the 4 lane merged into 2-lane and it was chaos, as we expected! There was a total blockade. We waited for about one hour in the dark. Nobody knew the reason. Everybody took 'U' turn and entered some unknown village road. We too followed suit. Ultimately, we reached our guest house, GardenVilla at the outskirts of Agra after 8:30 pm, thanks to the traffic jam!

Here are some photographs of Jaipur city palace and Amber palace.

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

220.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

117.JPG

137.JPG

165.JPG

169.JPG

186.JPG

212.JPG

214.JPG

217.JPG
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    AGELESS MONUMENT AND AGING HUMANS

[attachment=12:34fqw1qy]IMG_0599.JPG[/attachment:34fqw1qy]
    My host, Mr Rajbansh, was a thorough gentleman. He guided us properly. He sent his son in his two wheeler to pilot us to the guest house! After we refreshed at the guest house, his son helped us order pizza for our late dinner delivered at the guest house! After our dinner, we called it a day.

DAY 7 - 24 NOV 2010 - WEDNESDAY

We visited Taj Mahal early in the morning. Taj Mahal is immortal and ageless. I would like to visit Taj Mahal again and again!
    [attachment=10:34fqw1qy]003.JPG[/attachment:34fqw1qy]
    [attachment=11:34fqw1qy]001.JPG[/attachment:34fqw1qy]
    [attachment=9:34fqw1qy]260.JPG[/attachment:34fqw1qy]

IMG_0599.JPG

003.JPG

001.JPG

260.JPG

327.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

291.JPG

292.JPG
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    After visiting Taj Mahal, we returned to Garden Villa, had sumptuous breakfast, packed and checked out. We then went to Agra Fort. After that, we headed for Delhi at 2:30 pm. Here, I must record that Agra was filthier than what I had expected. Even the car-parking lot was disorganised and dirty. Wherever we went, touts and 'guides' pestered us. We withstood all these menace for the sake of Taj Mahal and Fort. We reached Ginger Vivek Vihar, New Delhi, by 8 pm. My MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator guided me to the exact spot. We checked in, refreshed and dined at Ginger roof-top restaurant with buffet dinner.

348.JPG

389.JPG

403.JPG

410.JPG

414.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG
  10. Rajen

Rajen Regolare

Bangalore
    Ravi Sir

Well written travelogue. You are amazing , the kind of travel you do. Wish I also could do a long trip in my car.