1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

IF IT'S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE NEW DELHI

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Nov 19, 2010.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    FLASH-BACK CONTINUES!

DAY 1 - 18 NOV 2010 - THURSDAY

Please my first post for photographs and details.

Some of the highlights of Bangalore - Mumbai trip:

* The Nelamangala Toll Plaza didn't collect the toll. They just noted down my Linea's registration number and let me go freely.

* During my Pune - Bangalore trip during March 2010, I had to go through Ranibennur, Harihar and Chitradurga towns. But, this time, it was cool drive on the bypass of these towns.

* During my last trip, my Linea bottom-scraped 4 times, two each near Davangere and Tumkur bypass. But, this time, the number of bottom-scraping was just two, that too, near Davangere bypass diversions. No bottom-scraping on Tumkur bypass! One hump near Brahmasagara was really big and unmarked.

* While I escaped one of the two railway level-crossings between Ranibennur and Haveri, I was made to wait for about 10 minutes in the other. I think, it will take another year or two for completion of these two railway overbridges seeing the slow pace of construction work.

* While the food quality at Kamat Upachar at Reliance petrol pump on Ranibennur bypass was good, less said the better about the toilets. But, we didn't have other alternative. Last time, we tried the nearby Bharat Petroleum COCO pump Ghar Dhaba. There also, the toilets were not maintained properly.

* The petrol costs Rs 59.53 per litre at Reliance, Ranibennur as against Rs 59.65 at Bangalore. I found a novel method of card payment there. After filling the petrol, the attendent asked me whether it was cash or card. When I gave him my card, he swiped it at the hand-held unit. But he didn't enter the amount and retruned the card. Then, after dispensing the fuel, he selected petrol and cancelled other purchases like lubricants in the hand-held unit and entered. Presto! The amount was automatically taken by the system and the printed charge-slip popped out. No manual entering of the amount, and hence, no room for mischief.

* The attendent at Reliance enlightened me by saying that the nozzle of the petrol dispenser was smaller in diameter than the one for diesel to ensure petrol is not dispensed in a diesel vehicle by mistake. I don't know, how far it is true.

DAY 2 - 19 NOV 2010 - FRIDAY
    We breakfasted, rested, lunched, and again, rested at Oritel Serviced Apartment. We went for a drive in the night. Here are some photographs of Mumbai by night.

We liked the paintings at Oritel Serviced Apartment.
    [attachment=3:rjbugzrg]004.jpg[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    [attachment=4:rjbugzrg]005.jpg[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    We drove on Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link [Bandra-Worli Sea Link]. During our last visit to Mumbai, only 4-lanes for both the directions were operative. Now, all the 8-lanes, 4 for each direction, were operative. When I drove within the speed limit at 50 kmph on the second lane from the left, many big brothers [read BMWs, Endeavours, Fortuners, et al.] honked their horns and flew past me! I was the odd man out there driving at 50 kmph!
    [attachment=5:rjbugzrg]IMG_0429.JPG[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    I parked my Fiat Linea at Marine Drive and had a walk. My son clicked a few photographs using his Canon 550D.
    [attachment=6:rjbugzrg]IMG_0453.JPG[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    [attachment=7:rjbugzrg]IMG_0457.JPG[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    [attachment=1:rjbugzrg]IMG_0463.JPG[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    [attachment=0:rjbugzrg]IMG_0460.JPG[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    [attachment=2:rjbugzrg]IMG_0476.JPG[/attachment:rjbugzrg]
    We walked around Taj Mahal Hotel, Gateway of India and the Bombay Stock Exchange. We enjoyed the street food for our dinner, drove back to our abode and called it a day.

More to come.

004.jpg

005.jpg

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Really, some memorable pictures.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Nice.. the 005.jpg looks like a Ravi Varma painting (copy of course) correct me if I am wrong.
    What is that green swirl in front of HDFC bank?
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, royj. Yes, it was a copy of Raja Ravi Varma's painting only.

One foot-path vendor was selling an illuminated toy by rotating it and crossed the path. Hence, the green swirl.
  5. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Ravi, An amazing trip really. Hats off and congrats on your wonderful adventure. Your posting is really instigating most of us to take such long road trips in future. Were you the only driver who drove these 6000 kms or was there somebody else in the family taking the wheels in turns?
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Ravi, for the compliments.
    Thanks, Gopi. I drove the entire 6148 km trip. However, my daughters and son are licensed to drive. But, they didn't get a chance to drive! :wink:
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    ::OO You can't be such a :devil
    But it is a FIAT, so you will be forgiven :lol:
    So as Gopi said, this is instigating us to go for such trips. We will be looking into this thread for planning and other inputs when we undertake the journey.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, royj. I really enjoyed driving my Linea each and every minute and metre of this trip. I felt fully fit even after Bangalore - Mumbai 1000 km trip - absolutely no mental/physical fatigue at all.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    +1 to that, However I do the same thing. No one apart from me gets a chance behind the wheel and hence my family is considering a second car for themselves :steering

Keep coming up with the photos and reports, Hopefully I should be able to do something like this next year.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, teky. Next episode will be posted shortly!