1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICS 4.x.x device hardware requirement

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Chaos, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Hello all.

I'm more of a Windows mobile fan (not WP7)... But now i'm moving on to android..
    I'm planning to buy a android phone that is future proof for atleast 1 yr and will support future Android upgrades.

I know Samsung Galaxy S II is a very capable device... but i'm more interested in the single core devices like the Arc S, Desire HD, Desire S.. (they are cheaper on contract) and since new quad core HTC's are out.. they will get more cheaper :)

So does anyone know what the minimum requirements are for Android ICS??? I have tried searching the net for ICS device requirements but found nothing convincing.. if anyone can provide ideal cpu, ram, and minimum internal storage requirements.. that would be really helpful for deciding which device should i go for..

As for the current devices on my list; should i go for higher ram 786 (1ghz cpu) like that of the desire devices.. or faster cpu 1.4 ghz cpu (512 ram) on the arc s??

Appreciate your response..

Thx :)
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Don't know about other manufacturers but Sony's all android phones launched previous year (Arc, Arc S, Neo, Ray Active, Xperia Mini, Xperia Pro) all are going to receive upgrade to Android ICS including Sony this year android phones like Xperia S and other soon to be launched models.
    My first choice would be new Sony Xperia S second Galaxy SII and third Sony Ericsson Arc S.
    I love audio quality,looks and build quality of Sony phones and love Samsung SII for its true raw power
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think nothing could be as future proof as the Samsung Galaxy Note. :)
    1.4GHz Dual core processor
    1GB RAM
    WiFi Direct
    USB Port on the go
    HDMI on the go
    S-Pen/Stylus
    5.3" Super AMOLED screen :p

I am not sure if its available on contract in UK or not.
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I recently moved on from my Motorola Milestone to a Samsung Galaxy R. With 1Ghz dual core processor, 1 GB RAM, Gingerbread and 8 GB internal space, all that for 21k, I feel that device is decently future proof, at least for the next 10 months to 1 year.

Rituraj
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    One of my friends has flashed his dell XCD 35 with ICS custom ROM available on XDA . So i know it runs on very very basic devices too , so Arc S and other single core devices should not be an issue . It was laggy and slow on the dell but then its a very very basic device .

The custom ROM was a DUMP of the ZTE blade.

ICS could have issues on devices which are powered by Nvidia tegra , you'll need to do a lil more research on that .

The samsung Exonys and the Texas INstruments OMAP are very good processors and are very hack friendly

the Qualcomm Scorpion and the Nvidia tegra are not that hack friendly .

Keeping all these things in mind , the most future proof and hack friendly phones should be any model from Samsung .
  6. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Any specific reason for moving away from Windows? I am confused between SE Neo V and Samsung Omnia W. For Neo V and ICS update is promised. But i am bit worried about the battery back up of android OS.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    I might be the odd man out, but I am running ICS custom rom on 18months old 600mhz phone which is overcloacked to 748mhz. Company's last update was android 2.1, there after it was taken out of upgrades list.

Both samsung and LG has recently showed there quadcore phones, this might be future proof for some time.
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Same here. Running AOKP ICS 4.04 on galaxy tab. Frankly speaking, android has already reached a peak stage and they will have drastically change the dock/drawer presentation to look novel.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    samsung galaxy S2, galaxy R, HTC Evo 3D,
    are all ICS capable phones...
    Its always best to have more RAM than processor frequency..
    Reason, what will you do with 10 Apples when the bucket you want to put it into can only hold 4??
    Got the drift of what I'm saying?

I would say with ICS there will be more demand on the RAM than the processor..
    Quad core is a very simply put an eyewash as there is no application that can suitably make use of a dual core yet, what will you do with a quad core?
    Point 2,
    The batter technology needs to improve a lot , i mean A LOT for it to sustain 4 cores..
    So its best to wait for another year before quad core phones can be the choice.

All of the phones i've listed above are good candidates...
    And my pick would be the EVO 3D because it feels more upmarket in design and form factor than those plastic phones from samsung.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

forgot to mention galaxy NOTE as well